The 4-Hour Body / Slow-Carb Diet

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• mcferg
    mcferg Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    o.k., I have to tell you that the reason I gain so much weight is that I'm a COOKBOOK AUTHOR! I have published TWO cookbooks and both retail on Amazon for around $19 (free shipping if you spend $25) and both have ALL NEW recipes and both have over 200 recipes. So, I'm not thrilled about spending $50+ for 80 recipes...sorry! Charity or no, Tim has to do better than this. Thanks, circadionswing, though, for the info.

MrsBiz...

I'm with you. For one thing, I've had absolutely no problem finding SCD-friendly recipes. One of my favorite sites for recipes is http://kalynskitchen.com. It's a South Beach recipe site, but I find that 3/4 or more of the recipes there are SCD friendly. Lots of stuff with veggies and lentils.

That being said - why don't you get busy writing us an SCD cookbook??
  • dyslexicduck
    Options
    Butter should be fine unless you're eating a stick of it; it has about 0.03g of lactose per tsp. I use it for eggs, especially when I don't have a non-stick pan handy as it coats the pan better.

As mcferg said carrots are recommended in the book. I eat carrots quite often in stir-fry and with breakfast if no other veggie is handy. Unless you have very little weight to loose I think they are a good way to ease into the diet. Remove them if you stop loosing weight.
  • MollyWisk
    MollyWisk Posts: 10
    Options
    So now I am hearing:

1. Butter is ok, just not in large amounts.
    2. Carrots are ok if not in large amounts.

I have removed most butter and most carrots from my diet. However, the book says that frozen mixed vegetables are ok - and those are some carrots, peas, corn, green beans. I bought a few bags tonight and had a half a bag with my dinner. I also had some scrambled egg white mix with salsa, and some deli turkey.

How is that?

What about almonds in small amounts and in unsweetened almond milk as a coffee "creamer"?
  • msbiz
    msbiz Posts: 174
    Options
    @monmon: OOOOOO! don't be discouraged! those scales go UP and DOWN! For example: on Friday I was 176.4; Sunday (day after cheat day) 180.1; Monday, 177.1; Tuesday, 178.6 and today 176.6. So, basically, I'm just about what I was on Friday (5 days ago!) Still, I only measured once since then (on Monday) and I lost 1/2". I'm taking it all in stride right now and relying mostly on the MEASUREMENTS and also my week-to-week progress, although Tim says to weigh every day, so I do and I log it into my planner. BTW, I eat (almost) the EXACT same things all week and that weight just goes up and down up and down up and down gggggrrrr! I wish you'd gotten a DIGITAL scale...for me, seeing even a .1 is a BIG booster.
    As for the beans....I mix them up and like them that was. For example, black beans with pintos or cannellini with great northern. Another thing I like is to make a SALAD: lettuce, a can of TUNA or CANNED CHICKEN, beans, hard boiled eggs (quartered), a few olives, sweet grape tomatoes, avacados, (sometimes) jicama, and what ever else you want and then olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Delich! Also, CHILIE is a great way to get your veggies (tomatoes, green peppers, onions) and beans (kidney) and meat (ground beef or turkey). If you need a great recipe, let me know. I love beans, so it's not a problem for me, except I HAVE to take a Beano tablet before each meal and it's getting expensive! Let me know how it goes! Exercise is good, but I stopped since walker suggested I might be bulking up and gaining weight. I'm just walking now (but not the last two days since it was so WINDY! I live in New Mexico and WIND means blowing SAND....not a good thing!) Cheerio!
  • mcferg
    Options
    So now I am hearing:

1. Butter is ok, just not in large amounts.
    2. Carrots are ok if not in large amounts.

I have removed most butter and most carrots from my diet. However, the book says that frozen mixed vegetables are ok - and those are some carrots, peas, corn, green beans. I bought a few bags tonight and had a half a bag with my dinner. I also had some scrambled egg white mix with salsa, and some deli turkey.

How is that?

What about almonds in small amounts and in unsweetened almond milk as a coffee "creamer"?

Here's my thoughts on the matter...I think all of these things are best avoided (at least initially so you can establish a baseline), but if they can't be avoided probably not that bad. I don't eat butter, but I don't normally eat butter, so that's not an issue. I don't eat carrots by themselves, but if they come in a salad or as part of some mixed veggies, I don't pick them out. I occasionally eat almonds. If they don't create a problem for you (domino-wise), they're nutritionally fine. I try to stick to a dozen at a time, and never eat more than 2 dozen in any given day.

As for the unsweetened almond milk, you'll get varying opinions on this, but, based on my analysis of the ingredients, etc, it's fine. A full cup has only 40 calories. That being said, I think it makes a terrible coffee creamer. Well, not terrible, but ineffective. It's simply not creamy. In fact, it's mostly water, and, as such, ends up just making your coffee taste like watered down coffee, IMO. I ended up getting a box of single-serve half and halfs from amazon (about 200 of them for around $18). Now, half and half, of course, is dairy, and discouraged, but these are a little over 1/2 tablespoon each and a total of 12 calories. I found one of these to be better than even say, 1/4 cup of almond milk for comparable calories. However, since then, I've gone to just drinking my coffee black. The single-serves are nice because they keep forever at room temp, so I still have them for guests. I just came to the conclusion that, if I can't have my coffee REALLY creamy, I'd rather just drink it black. So, I drink it black, and treat myself to a latte on cheat day.
  • msbiz
    Options
    @mollywisk...WELCOME! Sounds like you are up and running and may I offer a couple of (friendly) suggestions? DON'T do ALMONDS or any nuts. Tim calls them a "slippery slope" since it's tough to just eat 4 or 5 (trust me, I know!) It's better to avoid them all together. Also, keep cottage cheese to a minimum...maybe only two or 3 days a week. Better off with eggs. I eat one whole egg mixed with 1/4 c. of egg whites (egg beaters) and some kind of legume and (canned) green beans...not "to die for", but it works for me. I DO have cottage cheese, but only once a week, just because I like it. A rotisserie chicken from Walmart goes a looonnnngggg way, especially if you are alone for a few days. You can eat it for dinner then make a salad later or ??? Can even make chilie with the leftovers. Have fun and keep up the resolve!
  • msbiz
    Options
    @mcferg....HA! HA! I just finished the GLUTEN FREE cookbook since one of my grandaughters is a celiac. DELICIOUS recipes! I'm getting ready to send it to the publisher. I'm also working on my THIRD (regular) cookbook...definitely NOT 4HB friendly...that's the one I gained so much weight writing! You are right, I may have to think about the LOW CARB cookbook next, but don't want to steal Tim's thunder. Surely, he can come up with MORE recipes!
  • msbiz
    Options
    @mollywhisk...ALL these posts to you are GREAT! I would listen to your supporters 100%....get rid of the almonds, carrots and, especially CORN in mixed veggies. Stick with broccoli and cauliflower and peas (SWEET!) and green beans and avacados and mixed greens in salad. Also, ditch the 1/2 & 1/2 and/or cream. Like ferg, I ONLY like my coffee creamy, so I STOPPED drinking it and switched to green tea with mint. Occasionally, I treat myself to a Starbucks and load it with 1/2 & 1/2 and, of course, of CHEAT DAY, I have a POT all to myself and use WHIPPING CREAM to boot! Yum! Save your "cravings" for cheat day...then, go ahead and have your corn and carrots and such...but, don't forget the CHOCOLATE!!!!
  • monmon028
    monmon028 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @EVERYONE It's impossible for me to eat the same meals over and over. One day I may have teriyaki chicken, the next day I may have a chipotle bowl, or the next day I may have lettuce wraps. Is this going to effect my weight loss? I'm on week 2, and so far, no weight loss at all since Saturday. Hmph! I haven't been eating enough beans, I know that. Anyone know of any tricks to get through my bean-phobia. Starting this diet, I liked beans... but two weeks into it, I try to look away.

@msbiz I hit the treadmill after work yesterday. It felt good and I was able to burn a cool 600 calories. My main concern was having enough energy to get thru the miles, but it turned out well. I think I'll stick to it. Hows the calorie counting going?
  • msbiz
    Options
    @monmon...I left you some ideas for BEANS this morning...check earlier posts. Also, I KNOW you are NOT going to like this, but Tim says, "eat the same things over and over again." I think, at least for a while, this is a good idea. IT WILL BE BORING AS HELL; but, if you're SERIOUS about losing it, you have to force yourself. For example, I NEVER ate b'fast before this diet. I usually get up around 6 a.m. and I just NOT hungry until 1 or 2!! I swear! But, I had to FORCE myself to eat that egg and those beans and those green beans at 6:30 a.m. WHAT'S WITH THAT!? I gagged for the first three or four days, now...I'm used to it and I'm like this little ol' robot fixin' eggs at 6:30! I don't mind it so much any more and seeing those inches come off really was a turn on for me.
    Good for you on the treadmill! I walk with my dog, who pees on EVERY shrub and tree, so it's sllloooowwww and walker gave me idea...walk the dog a little bit, take him home and then power walk FOR ME. I'm going to try that starting next week, when the windy time is over. I'm too much of a whimp to tough it out...even though it's in the 60s!
    Everybody...guess what I did? I signed up for a MONTH OF BOOT CAMP via LIVING SOCIAL (like Groupon) for only $20! It was a $99 value! I plan to start my month in April or maybe even May, after I've (hopefully) lost a few more pounds. I figure it will "kick start" my engine and I'll be DEAD OR BETTER after the month.
  • adamr_z
    adamr_z Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has already been posted in this thread but I found it tough to search through just this discussion:

I am curious of people's take on carbs consumed before or after exercise. Ferris references some inclusion of carbs with 30 minutes of completion of one of his prescribed exercises, but IIRC doesn't talk about what kind of carbs.

For example, do you think it would be acceptable to eat Powerbars before playing an hour of basketball? Slam back 4 cupcakes after a nice 5 mi run?

I have been reading mixed stories on carb inclusion as it relates to exercise and am curious of the effect anyone may think it has on energy level, performance, and overall fat loss.

Thanks in advance!
  • msbiz
    Options
    @adamr_z: depends on your goals. If you're trying to bulk up, and you don't need to lose weight, then eat the carbs (pasta, bread, etc.). My sister is a marathon runner and she loads up on carbs before and after...even when she's just practice running, say 6 or 7 miles. But...she's as skinny as a rail and likes it that way! I don't know about those cupcakes, though...at least NOT FIVE...that's just a SUGAR rush. Power bars? check out the ingredients...be wary of sugar/frutose.
    BTW, the carbs Tim refers to after 30 minutes of exercise are the GOOD carbs...lots of veggies...not twinkies ha! ha!
  • violynist
    violynist Posts: 61
    Options
    PS- I used to be ok with beans...and now I despise them! Does anyone have any good recipes that incorporate beans discretely?

I do however love Edamame. So maybe I'll stick to those.

Is there anything else I can eat to make up for my hatred for beans????

Lentils! Try Westbrae Organic Canned Lentils. Add some salt & you're good to go.

I also love black eyed peas...

I got SUPER-sick of beans about 3 weeks in. Then I started buying verde salsa & drenched the black beans or whatever in it, and I am now happy again!
  • mcferg
    Options
    Sorry if this has already been posted in this thread but I found it tough to search through just this discussion:

I am curious of people's take on carbs consumed before or after exercise. Ferris references some inclusion of carbs with 30 minutes of completion of one of his prescribed exercises, but IIRC doesn't talk about what kind of carbs.

For example, do you think it would be acceptable to eat Powerbars before playing an hour of basketball? Slam back 4 cupcakes after a nice 5 mi run?

I have been reading mixed stories on carb inclusion as it relates to exercise and am curious of the effect anyone may think it has on energy level, performance, and overall fat loss.

Thanks in advance!

On Ferris' blog he addressed this. Basically the answer is - carbs right after certain types of exercise ONLY if you are below 12% body fat.
  • Christin09
    Christin09 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Ok so I need your opinions: I have had a cold since Sunday. I have been keeping up with eating the proper foods while on this diet but I have been having the various cold medicines include cough drops but I only have 3 a day if that. I also have no lost my cheat day weight yet (cheat day was Sunday) Do you really think that those couple of cough drops could be messing with my weight loss?

Also I am going on vacation in a week, is this diet realistic for vacation? Have you tried it?
  • monmon028
    Options
    Ok so I need your opinions: I have had a cold since Sunday. I have been keeping up with eating the proper foods while on this diet but I have been having the various cold medicines include cough drops but I only have 3 a day if that. I also have no lost my cheat day weight yet (cheat day was Sunday) Do you really think that those couple of cough drops could be messing with my weight loss?

Also I am going on vacation in a week, is this diet realistic for vacation? Have you tried it?

@Christin09 As dedicated as you are, I think you'd be doing more harm than good if you DIDN'T take the meds of cough drops or any other medications to help you get through your cold. Also, I doubt it will have a drastic effect on your weight loss. There are sugar free options you can consider too. Get better soon!
  • monmon028
    Options
    @msbiz guess what?! I dumped the old school scale and took my butt to bed bath and beyond and picked up the biggest loser at home scale. It only cost about $5 more than what I originally spent for that lying wal-mart digital scale.

It's been consistent every time! Plus, you're right-- the decimals make all the difference.
  • msbiz
    Options
    @christin09...WOW!!! 53 LBS. lost!! That is AMAZING! Congrats! As for those meds...are you kidding? you will NOT gain or not lose because of a few cough drops. What's probably happening is that you are less energetic bc of your cold and, therefore, retaining water. Try drinking A LOT more water these next few days. You will look GREAT lying on the beach!
  • msbiz
    Options
    @msbiz guess what?! I dumped the old school scale and took my butt to bed bath and beyond and picked up the biggest loser at home scale. It only cost about $5 more than what I originally spent for that lying wal-mart digital scale.

It's been consistent every time! Plus, you're right-- the decimals make all the difference.