Protein in fruits and vegetables

I have a question about the database. Some fruits and vegetables I add to my diary appear to come with a gram or two of protein in them... for example, apparently my 150 grams of courgette has 2 grams of protein and 30 grams of dried figs have a gram. I'm not really sure I believe this and have been mentally subtracting this stuff from my protein goal, but was just wondering if this is the right thing to do? Obviously it's not a lot of protein anyway, but it does add up.

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    I have a question about the database. Some fruits and vegetables I add to my diary appear to come with a gram or two of protein in them... for example, apparently my 150 grams of courgette has 2 grams of protein and 30 grams of dried figs have a gram. I'm not really sure I believe this and have been mentally subtracting this stuff from my protein goal, but was just wondering if this is the right thing to do? Obviously it's not a lot of protein anyway, but it does add up.

Contrary to what you may believe, plant based foods do contain protein. No reason to deduct it.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    lots of fruits and vegetables have protein, some more than others.

the database does not lie in this case.

sometimes it lies about other things though... like calorie content.

when in doubt just google the name of your item i.e. courgette nutrition facts, and the chart will come up to the left.

although in english it would be zucchini.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    lots of fruits and vegetables have protein, some more than others.

the database does not lie in this case.

sometimes it lies about other things though... like calorie content.

when in doubt just google the name of your item i.e. courgette nutrition facts, and the chart will come up to the left.

Not vegetables as such but look at beans, lentils and chickpeas just to name a few...
    Relating to above post, if not available on google - USDA has a complete chart of more or less everything you could think of!
  • TONS of produce has protein, healthy delicious protein! Especially beans, lentils, quinoa, Broccoli, Spinach, Strawberries, Oranges, Chickpeas....seriously, this list goes on and on.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member

Well, in American it would be "zucchini". "Courgette" is a French loan word, but it's the common term in the UK (where they speak mainly English).
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member

Well, in American it would be "zucchini". "Courgette" is a French loan word, but it's the common term in the UK (where they speak mainly English).

i stand corrected. i only knew it as a french word.
  • If you use Facebook, "The Rawfoodfamily" has really good posts on this and similar subjects. I tried to past an image here of plant proteins (many of which have more protein than chicken), but mfp doesn't give me an option and I'm on my iPhone, so it's too hard to go back and forth. Sorry. Here's a link to their page if you can check it out. https://m.facebook.com/TheRawfoodfamily
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Ah, well, you learn something new every day :)

Sorry, I forgot you don't call them courgettes in America.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    What is your protein goal?
    Are you looking for protein?
    Are you trying to balance your protein?
    Or are you trying to eat as little protein as possible?
  • lucygoesrawr
    What is your protein goal?
    Are you looking for protein?
    Are you trying to balance your protein?
    Or are you trying to eat as little protein as possible?

Somewhere around 90 grams. I try my best not to go below - don't want to accidentally count protein I haven't really eaten and be under my goal.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member

I find this funny really.
    Zucchini is the Italian word for Courgette.
    What does it matter what you call it.
    Neither word is English.
    The English name is a Summer Squash.
    But not a lot of people know that
    British or American
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    I live in France and work in the UK and courgettes and broccoli are the only regular items on my weekly shopping list that I don't have to think about what the translation is. When I lived in Switzerland it was sold in the supermarkets as Zucchini in Zurich and Courgettes in Lausanne. Amazing fact of the day. :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Us Aussies call courgettes zucchini.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Neither word is English.

Courgette is however in the OED, whereas for zucchini it says :-
    NOUN (plural same or zucchinis)

North American
    A courgette

Summer squash are a subset of squashes that are harvested when immature, so does not define a courgette specifically.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    OP see link below for options for protein.

Look at salmon compared to mushrooms(raw) and/or spinach(raw). Interesting options when you view the food items listed and good luck with your goals.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • This content has been removed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I find this funny really.
    Zucchini is the Italian word for Courgette.
    Neither word is English.
    But not a lot of people know that
    British or American

Summer squash is commonly used in the US to distinguish zucchini and yellow squash, etc. from winter squash. It's hardly unknown, but it's also a broader set than what is typically meant by zucchini. I was just thinking about this, since it just logged some yellow squash, wasn't sure precisely what to call it, and saw there was a good entry (USDA) for summer squash, all varieties.

Very little protein, though--about 1 gram per 100.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    You will find very few foods of any kind that do not have at least a gram of protein. I don't know why you wouldn't believe this. Cows eat nothing but "vegetables" and beef is pure protein. Where do you think that comes from?
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    You don't believe it has protein so you subtract it? I mean I wish cookies had less calories, can I pretend they don't? Is that how it works?

If there is not a food label on that piece of cake, it must not have any nutritional value. State law.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Err Vegetables have protein 100g of broccoli has around 3grams. Beans have loads of protein in fact it's pretty easy to get plenty of protein from vegetables
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Most vegetables will have a small amount of protein, although in most cases it will not be a complete protein (i.e. containing all essential amino acids). But assuming you are eating a range of foods, you will get the full amino acid profile and the plant proteins still contribute towards your total daily intake.
  • lucygoesrawr
    You don't believe it has protein so you subtract it? I mean I wish cookies had less calories, can I pretend they don't? Is that how it works?

Sorry, how is that the same? I need a minimum amount of protein - I've been cautious and eaten more than the minimum because I didn't believe the database entries. If I go over my protein goal for the day by 10 grams, nothing bad is going to happen - but if I go under I might lose muscle mass. Amongst other problems.
  • This content has been removed.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    How do you think herbivores like deer and sheep get protein to build their muscles? It's in the plants they eat.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    I bet you are one of those people that ask vegans "BUT how do you survive, not eating ANY protein"? LOL.
  • lucygoesrawr
    I bet you are one of those people that ask vegans "BUT how do you survive, not eating ANY protein"? LOL.

Not really. I leave them to it. What exactly is your problem? I asked an innocent question.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

Yeah- I guess I don't understand- if I don't think the food on my friends plate counts- I'm going to eat all her food instead"

There is protein in lots of things- I think I added a slice of pizza once and it congratulated me on my protein choice- or cheese maybe.

And yeah- sure there is protein in it- but instead of saying HEY congrats- lots of carbs in this- or lots of fat- they pointed out the protein.

It's a laughable small amount- but it still counts- it's not like it's "fake fruit protein"
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    No, fruits and vegetables have protein. You are not being deceived. Why are you mentally subtracting anything from anything?

Also... Google, it's your friend.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    some of the entries in the database aren't as fully "proper/correct" as they could be. [insert "allotted 20% error disclosure" here] I like checking things on nutritiondata.com, and then confirming THOSE results with an entry in MFP's database to log.

after that, believe that spinach and mushrooms (and all sorts of other delicious and nutritious veggies and fruits) are going to give you an awesome protein/calorie rate. I try to focus on protein, so I have LOTS of veggies. and fruits. and meats. :)

best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    All living things, whether plants or animals are made of protein. Some more than others obviously, but all have some.