Protein in fruits and vegetables

2»

Replies

• Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    I bet you are one of those people that ask vegans "BUT how do you survive, not eating ANY protein"? LOL.

Not really. I leave them to it. What exactly is your problem? I asked an innocent question.

Sorry, just making a joke and not thinking about how it comes across.

In all seriousness, if you ask a vegetarian or vegan "What question do you get asked the most?" it would probably be some version of the "How do you get protein?" question. Sometimes it is an innocent but ignorant question from someone who genuinely doesn't know that protein is in anything but meat. Sometimes it is more of a hostile ignorance, asked in a "gotcha" tone by someone who thinks my diet is stupid and that they've just highlighted something that I've never thought about before. And then there's the furrowed brow that says "I'm so worried about your diet, since you decided to cut out protein." I usually answer by just listing off some high-protein veggies/grains/legumes/nuts/seeds/etc. that I eat. Sometimes people seem surprised or skeptical that I really can get protein from these things, but they usually let it drop. But it gets tiring, explaining/defending my diet to people who are clueless about nutrition but unaware of their ignorance.

So I guess your statement about subtracting out the plant based proteins hit the wrong way. Like "Ah, here's another of the 'you can't get protein from a plant' crowd" But one who finally looked up the nutritional facts and saw protein in a plant....and then just subtracted out the protein as if it was an error in the database rather than admit an error in their understanding.

People are sometimes resistant to change. I guess I saw some humor in that. That's my problem. :)

But I shouldn't assume you go around hassling vegetarians because of your misunderstanding about protein. You did at least stop to figure out if you were wrong, asking to learn more. I should give you credit for that.
  • Mistapholeezkat
    Mistapholeezkat Posts: 80 Member
    Good Info, thanks