Do you remember where you were on 9/11/01?

Options

Replies

• LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    UW-Superior. Sleeping, until someone came banging on my door to tell me. I didn't have class until noon.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I was living in NJ then and I was at work when our President called me in his office, his son was a first responder in NY and called to tell him a jet hit one of the towers. I called my Mom who turned on the TV and she was telling me everything that was happening. I remember her screaming in the phone, another plane hit the other tower. At that point I think we all knew we were under attack.
  • AFMOMX2
    Options
    I was home, getting ready for work, I was in the Air Force. My boys were 3rd and 5th grade (both in the Air Force themselves now). I got them up, hugged them tight and got them to daycare, I was so torn. I did not want to leave them but I knew I had to get to work and that it was going to be a long busy day. Walking to the building I worked in I remember the eery silence. Normally there were engine runs and aircraft taking off and landing--that day nothing. My husband was also Air Force but temporary duty at another location. Mostly I remember the heavy sadness and being afraid.
  • NessaReh85
    NessaReh85 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was in Lemoore, CA...started my day by taking over what we Navy folks call a "duty day" as the Command Duty Officer (Commanding Officer's represenatative for the day). The whole base was in chaos setting extra security and closed all traffic into the base. I made it to my office just in time to see the second plane strike the Twin Towers...I still remember it vividly.

Thank you for your service to this country as well!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I was in the last path train from NJ into the WTC. So, I saw the whole thing from the sidewalk and ran before it collapsed to the nearest subway station and headed to Brooklyn, NY.

Glad you were safe.
  • StephanieT0602
    StephanieT0602 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Grade 10 religion class. I didn't understand the gravity of what had happened until I got home from school that day and watched everything unfold on tv.
  • trudywc2
    trudywc2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    At work in the kitchen when I saw the second plane hit. Remembering that it was such a beautiful clear day how could the pilot not see the building. Only thought that for a second.
  • NessaReh85
    NessaReh85 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was home, getting ready for work, I was in the Air Force. My boys were 3rd and 5th grade (both in the Air Force themselves now). I got them up, hugged them tight and got them to daycare, I was so torn. I did not want to leave them but I knew I had to get to work and that it was going to be a long busy day. Walking to the building I worked in I remember the eery silence. Normally there were engine runs and aircraft taking off and landing--that day nothing. My husband was also Air Force but temporary duty at another location. Mostly I remember the heavy sadness and being afraid.

Thank you to you and your family for your service to this country!
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was teaching my 2nd grade class at the time. The guidance counselors went around to all the teachers to quietly let us know we were on lockdown and briefly explained what was going on. We eventually got more information as children started to get picked up from school. We did have the tv on but it was a kids video... no one thought it was a good idea to show the kids the news that young. Because the phone lines were so jammed we had mom and dads and grandparents all in line to pick up the child and had no idea that the others were there (the lines were horrible). My dad's family is mostly in NY so it was tough waiting to hear from them. Everyone wound up being ok. The next day we had the kids draw pictures of the events to show their feelings. By then they had seen and talked to their parents about the events. It was so quiet without the planes.... It really does feel like just a year or two ago.
  • ekztawas
    ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    8th grade English class.
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sound asleep - was working Mids shift that week....................
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in English class watching the news. The whole school was watching the news. We had a moment of silence and we got let out early that day. Every year I think about it it brings back that gut wrenching feeling in the pit of my stomach. Such brave men and women who did search and rescue that day. They will always be remembered.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just like it was yesterday! I was a freshman in college. I was getting ready for class when the first fell and at my boyfriends when the second fell. We sat on his couch all day long and watched them play it over and over.

After that I remember worrying he would get called up to active duty, and about 3 months later I remember friends leaving for Afghanistan.
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    That was the year I was homeschooled, I was at home and getting ready to start school when I heard about it and turned it on upstairs where I was and saw the second plane hit. I couldn't believe it.
  • MargaretWalks
    MargaretWalks Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I live in the Pacific time zone so I was in my kitchen getting breakfast to prepare to go to work. A horrible horrible occurrence that most of us watched unfold on television.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I was in a 6th grade social studies class. I didn't really understand what was going on until later, and even then the news didn't hit me like it hit everyone else, but I remember they turned the TVs on in each classroom and we all watched the news report.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    I was in English class when the first plane hit. Most of our teachers turned on the television sets that were in all of our classrooms. We all watched the second plane hit during History class. We were so confused because at first we thought that it must be a another replay of the first plane hitting. It just didn't make sense that both buildings could have been hit, especially by two different planes. When I finally realized what was happening, I still couldn't make sense of it. I'm not sure anyone could, really.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    skippygirlsmo - Thanks
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I was on my way to work in DC. I heard about the first tower hit just as I was getting on the subway. I thought it was a joke... or maybe just a mistake. I didn't hear about the second hit until after I got to my desk. Everyone sorta came out of their offices and cubicles to see what was happening on CNN. That's when we heard about the Pentagon. There was so much confusion and chaos about what was happening. There were a lot of false reports of the Capital burning. We all wanted to get home but everyone was evacuating DC. The subways were jam packed and there were a lot of folks saying that there were possible attacks that could happen underground. I called home to check on things and my mom was hysterical telling me to get out of DC. My aunt was yelling at me to get out because the Pentagon was on fire. My fiancee was out in Denver and I couldn't get in touch with her because all cell phones were busy. When I finally got in touch with her, she told me she wanted to come home. My cousin was on 395 and was stuck in traffic when the plane hit the Pentagon. I finally managed to hitch a ride with a coworker to go back to my fiancee's place in Silver Spring. Traffic didn't move much and I remember my coworker driving on the sidewalk to get around some idiots. When I finally got home, I continued talking to my fiancee to get her back home. Rental car, train... whatever. She ended up having to fly and she was scared. I told her that if anything happened to the plane, she should fight.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I was a sophomore in college sitting at my desk in my apartment eating some breakfast before going to class and my roommate comes in and says a plane had hit a building in NY (he was a bit of a news junky). I turned on the TV and watch stunned. I had no idea if class was on or not but went to campus.

In the Brickyard at NC State there is a row of American flags in front of the library, and all of them were flying at half mast.... it was the first time I can ever recall seeing the flags at half-mast and it sent chills down my spine. Still does to this day, because that is what I think of when I see it.