Do you remember where you were on 9/11/01?

Options

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    In 7th grade PE class. We walked into the normal school building and were ushered into our classroom to watch the news. We saw the second plane hit.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I was in grade 9, but home sick and watching the news live.

It was INSANE.
  • NessaReh85
    NessaReh85 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was active duty US Air Force stationed over in Europe at Aviano Air Base (North of Venice ~ 40 miles or 80 Kilometers away). I will never forget that day. It was ~2:30pm our time (~8:30am Eastern) and we (many personnel I worked with) were outside on break. We've been working since 6am because we had about 5 miles of network cable to run - we had to set up comms for a new building.

We finished storing our gear and this young Airman came running outside saying the World Trade Center Tower got hit by a plane. At first we all thought what a horrible tragedy. We came inside to watch the news - soon thereafter we saw the second plane hit - it was then we knew we were under attack. Next came the Pentagon and then the Flight 93 crash - not knowing what else to do some prayed and some cried.

The rest of the day seemed to last for ever - being an ex-cop (US Air Force) I stayed at work for a long time. I got home around 9pm......and then cried, prayed and did what I could to comfort others.

First off. Thank you for your service! God Bless your kind heart.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    As someone who was living in NYC at the time, it still sometimes amazes me that I can remember every detail of that day so clearly all these years later.

When the news broke that a plane had hit one of the towers, I was sitting on the couch of my Murray Hill apartment, eating an English muffin and watching Today. I had a job interview that morning (and another one scheduled for the afternoon). My first thought on seeing video of the gaping wound in the side of the Tower was that a small plane wouldn't have done that much damage. My second thought was of my friend who worked in the Trade Center. I'd met her there for lunch about a week before to celebrate her birthday. I sat glued to the news footage as there was an explosion from the second tower. Of course it became clear this was no accident. I remember meteorologist Janice Huff called into Today to point out that it was indeed another plane hitting the building. It was soon time to leave for my interview. It was right in the neighborhood. Madison in the 30s. I walked out into a clear, dry, sunny morning. One of those perfect September days. And walked the few blocks to my appointment. When I arrived, everyone in the office was sitting in a conference room tuned to CNN. The woman with whom I was meeting asked if I knew what was going on downtown. I told her I did and she said her husband worked near the WTC. We started the interview, although our minds were elsewhere. Someone barged into the room to announce that another plane had hit the Pentagon. We tried to continue in spite of the distractions. Suddenly we heard a collective gasp from the conference room. My interviewer grabbed me by the hand and we ran down the hall, only to discover the first tower had just collapsed. That was pretty much the end of my interview. It didn't matter. the job wasn't right for me. I walked home. The sky still blue, the air still clear...not a hint of the dust and smoke that would soon cast a pall over the city.

The rest of the day was somewhat surreal. I watched the fall of the second tower, learned about the plane down in Pennsylvania and wondered what the next target would be. My apartment was just a few blocks east of the Empire State Building and a few blocks south of Grand Central Station. Who could feel safe? I went outside to get away from the news footage. There were people walking uptown, traumatized, some covered in dust from the Towers. Others sat outside in cafes as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened. That evening we had dinner, as planned at Keene's Chophouse...meeting my sister-in-law's new boyfriend (now husband) for the first time. We were surrounded by stranded out-of-towners. It would be some time before normal air travel resumed. The only planes overhead were military fighter jets and helicopters. My own parents were stuck in Hawaii.

On Wednesday the 12th the wind changed direction and the smell of smoke blew uptown, leaving a layer of dust on our windows. That night our building was evacuated due to a bomb threat. We stood on the sidewalk with contraband cats (no pets allowed in our co-op) and wondered what to do. What would happen next? I had a few nightmares.

The next few days were heartbreaking, as the families of the missing plastered posters of their loved ones all over the city. Husbands, wives, sons and daughters, smiling in pictures copied at Kinkos and hung from every bus shelter and lamp post in the city. We got used to the sight of armed guards patrolling the streets and barricades outside nearby landmarks. And the purple bunting that draped the neighborhood firehouses.

When the streets of lower Manhattan finally reopened to the public, my husband and I headed downtown. The streets were sill coated in dust and covered in debris. Scraps of paper everywhere. Shop windows clouded in dirt. From my sister-in-law's office building about a block away from Ground Zero, we could get a full view of the scope of the devastation. Until then, I hadn't realized how large the "pit" actually was. The images on television couldn't capture the scale of it.
  • LoveLoveandRage
    LoveLoveandRage Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in "Technology Education" in 8th grade. I had that class with my best friend and we were on lockdown in that room until we could leave for the day. Our school didn't let us out early for any circumstance on any day, so we were there all day long.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Early morning (I was on the west coast). Playing EverQuest and had something on the tv in the background when they cut to breaking news. I watched the plane fly into the second tower.

I'll never forget that morning.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Playing an MMORPG waiting for my kids to come home from school (I was abroad at the time.) When my friend mentioned that someone had crashed a small plane into the WTC. I turned on the tv to see the coverage and stayed there, unable to figure out how I was going to explain this to my kids and questioning the wisdom of bringing another life into a world so willing to destroy each other so horrifically.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I was (in Connecticut) sitting in the dentist's chair getting a root canal. My dentist was a fellow grad of the military college we attended and as Army buddies was giving me VIP treatment. As we watched, he said to me, "I think we're at a place we can stop for today. Meet me at the train station in 2 hours?" We gathered gear and as fate would have it, we were allowed into the area early the next day; both because of our professions after the Army. He, a dentist would be needed to help ID, and me as an EMS worker. I never went back and finished that root canal, and finally just had that tooth pulled. I couldn't bear to finish it, like that pain for 13 years was my penance in some weird way. This day is always so incredibly emotional for me and I think this is the first and last "share" I will participate in. God Bless America.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I had just gotten out of the Army, and was working in an IT department for a healthcare company here in Louisville. I was watching the news report, initially stating it was an accident, then watching absolutely horrified as the second plane hit. Then not long after hearing about the plane that flew into the Pentagon (a place I had worked twice during my career, and still had friends working there) and the last that went down in PA.

My former captain called me that afternoon to let me know that it was entirely possible that I would be recalled (I was Military Intelligence, and there aren't that many people filling this particular MOS).

My best friend in high school had enlisted with me, and though we took very different career paths, we were still very close. He made his way up from the Old Guard to Tomb Guard and was at the Pentagon that day. His mother called to let me know a few days afterwards that his body had been found. RIP Juju
  • terryb1220
    Options
    In the bike shop picking up my bike. Watched the towers come down with the owner. Neither of us could believe it. I still can't. This anniversary is even sadder because my sister passed away last week and I am feeling all losses even more. To all those who lost someone dear to you that day I am thinking of you and sending a prayer of healing for our world that things like this will end.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I went for a 6 mile run outside in the morning and then headed over to Northeastern University (Boston) to pick up my cap and gown for the evenings graduation ceremony. We got our diplomas but the ceremony was canceled.
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Senior year of high school, AP Physics class. The assistant principal came over the intercom and said something like "We've been attacked," while clearly sobbing. Our teacher turned on the TV in the room and we watched maybe 3 minutes, enough to see that the attack was in NYC and the twin towers were gone. Then she declared, "There's nothing we can do about that," turned the TV off and continued her lesson.

Now I'm an educator myself and that taught me a lesson in self-awareness.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I was in basic combat training for the United States Army.

Thank you for your service :flowerforyou:
  • NessaReh85
    NessaReh85 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    In the bike shop picking up my bike. Watched the towers come down with the owner. Neither of us could believe it. I still can't. This anniversary is even sadder because my sister passed away last week and I am feeling all losses even more. To all those who lost someone dear to you that day I am thinking of you and sending a prayer of healing for our world that things like this will end.

So sorry to hear about your sister! Definite prayers to you and your family! God Bless!

EMTFreakGirl & teresamwhite Thank you both for your service to this country!!
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I had been working in my local pub at that time and was working the night before but was off that morning, my wife also worked in the pub and she was at work, I had a bit of a lie-in then got up and put the TV on, at that stage only the first tower had been hit and I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I didn't want to be on my own so went to the pub and will never forget the shock I felt watching the live footage of the 2nd plane hitting and then when the towers came down I felt devastated and so sorry for those poor people that lost their lives and their families that they left behind. :cry:
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was at home working and had the tv on in my office. I went upstairs and had the kids go watch tv in my bedroom and turned on the living room tv and watched everything unfold with my husband. He is in law enforcement so he knew he'd be called into work so he got ready for work and within minutes he was called in early as was the whole police force.
  • Justamom410
    Justamom410 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was at work...in downtown Chicago. Once the first tower collapsed...the entire city seemed to evacuate...afraid that the Sears Tower was next.

My daughter is 5...and they were talking about 9/11 in her kindergarten class yesterday. I was both shocked and saddened that I had to explain this tragedy to her at such a young age.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I was driving to my job at a furniture/design store on that day and heard stuff on the radio that was very confusing because I was fresh out of college and therefore only half-awake in the mornings. When I got to work, my boss filled me in. I remember thinking he was truly a jerk because he was kind of laughing and joking about it all day while others were very upset. That night I made a really bad decision to spend the night with a guy I was only casually dating because you know, what if the world ended!? lol
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I was sitting at my desk at work on the 58th floor of an office tower when my brother e-mailed me. We then started frantically trying to get in touch with a co-worker who had flown into NYC that very morning. Luckily they managed to rent a car and started driving
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I was working in an office building in Hartford, CT. my (now ex) husband was working from home and called to tell me the news, which I immediately shared with my co-workers. We all tried to get what we could from the internet, but most of the news sites were overloaded . . so I stayed on the line with my husband and relayed information to my co-workers. When the second tower was hit, and then the Pentagon, I told my husband I was coming home. He said "why?", I said "I work in a tower, I'm coming home. If this is the end of it all, I want to be with those that I love.".

We sat in silence watching the news until my 6 year old daughter came home from school. We did our best to explain it to her.

I was a bit worried about my dad and his wife, who both lived and worked in DC. After the fact my dad told me that his office in the Pentagon was close to where the plane hit. He had retired a few years before the attack.

I remember the eerie silence in the days afterwards, with no air traffic, how we had grown so accustomed to hearing the sound of planes, and when the sound was not there anymore.

What I remember even more clearly was the following year. I had just pulled into the parking garage when the news announcer on the radio called for the moment of silence in honor of those lost. And on the street below someone was playing the bagpipes. And it was a beautiful cloudless day, just as it had been the year before. And I began to sob, because the sense of loss was just so overwhelming, even though I had not personally lost anyone near and dear to me.