Cutting Sugar for Fast Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• dawnarama7
    dawnarama7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think this is great and appreciate you posting. I find when I limit/eliminate sugars (other than fruit) I also feel better and stop craving the foods that get me into trouble. Of course by consuming less empty calories we have room for more good food so it is a win-win in my option. Nicely done.
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think your hypothetical is extreme, I don't think starvation would happen if you ate 10,000 calories of protein only. But the overall point you are driving is right-on.

I don't think I've eaten over 20g of sugar since I started my diet - I norm at about 5-10. I think sugar is one of the least nutritional components out there and as humans, a diet high in sugar is evolutionary speaking, quite recent. So cutting out the sugar is pretty easy and effective.

That being said - its all about a balanced diet that gets you the nutrients your body needs at a caloric level that is consistent with your goals. There is no secret to fast weight loss other than a healthy mix of caloric reduction and activity increase. Any combination that is nutrient sound will give you +/- the same result - with the only exception being your own body's makeup and how it most effectively processes foods (which is a wildcard).

Excess sugar causes excess calories. Excess fats and proteins do too. There are people who eat "clean" and never touch processed foods and are overweight. That's because sugar isn't the only thing you can eat excess of. 10,000 calories of sugar and 10,000 calories of protein is still 10,000 calories.

Actually, if all you ever ate was protein, even 10,000 calories of it a day, you would starve to death. It's called "rabbit starvation" and occurs to people who are forced to eat nothing but lean wild game for extended periods. (Apparently, should you ever be caught out in the wilderness, this miserable fate can be avoided by eating all the internal organs and bone marrow before eating the lean stuff.)

Different foods are processed by the body differently. Sugar - even different types of sugar - have different effects on the metabolism, which can affect energy levels and therefor how much energy you burn when you're not actually on a treadmill.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    This whole low sugar thing reminds me of the low glycemic diet I fell for about 8 years ago - lost a ton of weight by limiting things like corn starch, ketchup etc - why because sugar and insulin spike of course. I lost a ton of weight!

Horse hockey - totally unsustainable in the long run and it all came back. Eat at a calorie defecit and if you want to maintain muscle mass up your protein and practice resistance training as well as cardio.

Nothing simpler and nothing to give up.

Definitely. You can't just eliminate one thing and think that it's all there is too it for the rest of your life. Your body will eventually adjust to that one thing and you will need to maintain in another way. This is just what is working and allowing me to breath life to that new lifestyle for the first time in my life.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Not 3 months ago you were on here asking about diet pills - made of sugar. I call shenanigans.
    Have you guys heard about the all-natural weight loss aid Almased?

Supposedly it claims to help you lose up to 15 pds in 6 weeks, although most of the stories I've stumbled across have people losing almost 70 percent of 15 pounds in less than 4 days?

So I guess the point of this topic is, have you tried Almased? Does it work? and, what happens when you go back to normal eating? <<< This is the main part as I am getting married in a few weeks and ofcourse want to look my best but I am also seriously wondering if the weight will stay off- since I'm on a weight loss journey, I'd rather keep the fat if it's just gonna come back and get rid of it the hard and slow(er) way?

COMMENTS PLEASE!
    Thanks for your responses!

I am actually looking for those who have tried it. I talked with a family member the other day and she has kept the 9 pounds off. The website says it's made of fermented soy, yogurt and honey and it's supposed to destroy fat much like consuming alot of protein in it. It says that it's stood the test of time for atleast 6 months in german and us studies but I want real experience here- not just what the website says.

If anyone is interested and wants to see what I'm reading, here's the website http://www.almased.com/t/faq

OK NUMBER 1- That is not weight loss pill!!! ( It's a shake- but hey read the description.)

"All-natural Almased® is a powder made from high-quality fermented soy, skim milk yogurt powder and enzyme-rich honey. It contains all important nutrients the body needs, essential amino acids and enzymes for easy digestion. Almased® is non-GMO, gluten-free and contains no added sugars, preservatives, artificial, flavors or fillers. Almased® uses an ingenious, clinically tested formula and can be used by nearly anybody"

CONTAINS NO ADDED SUGAR. YEAH.

And if you read the post- 3 months ago, i was still struggling and trying to find a way. Do you still feel intelligent or do you really wan to go there with me????

Honey is added sugar.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    I think this is great and appreciate you posting. I find when I limit/eliminate sugars (other than fruit) I also feel better and stop craving the foods that get me into trouble. Of course by consuming less empty calories we have room for more good food so it is a win-win in my option. Nicely done.

I appreciate that. I really do. I think this post has been made into much more than it actually was. ha-ha.
  • Everburg16
    Options
    I myself, do still eat fruits all day every day and that has plenty of naturally occurring sugars and carbs, but just doesn't spike my insulin levels in the same way.

I'll just leave this here for you.

Enjoy your continued success!

http://advances.nutrition.org/content/4/2/236.long

From that study:

"The symposium was sponsored by the American Society for Nutrition and supported in part by an educational grant from the Corn Refiners Association."

Yeeaaaaaah, I'm sure that's not biased at all....
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Not 3 months ago you were on here asking about diet pills - made of sugar. I call shenanigans.
    Have you guys heard about the all-natural weight loss aid Almased?

Supposedly it claims to help you lose up to 15 pds in 6 weeks, although most of the stories I've stumbled across have people losing almost 70 percent of 15 pounds in less than 4 days?

So I guess the point of this topic is, have you tried Almased? Does it work? and, what happens when you go back to normal eating? <<< This is the main part as I am getting married in a few weeks and ofcourse want to look my best but I am also seriously wondering if the weight will stay off- since I'm on a weight loss journey, I'd rather keep the fat if it's just gonna come back and get rid of it the hard and slow(er) way?

COMMENTS PLEASE!
    Thanks for your responses!

I am actually looking for those who have tried it. I talked with a family member the other day and she has kept the 9 pounds off. The website says it's made of fermented soy, yogurt and honey and it's supposed to destroy fat much like consuming alot of protein in it. It says that it's stood the test of time for atleast 6 months in german and us studies but I want real experience here- not just what the website says.

If anyone is interested and wants to see what I'm reading, here's the website http://www.almased.com/t/faq

OK NUMBER 1- That is not weight loss pill!!! ( It's a shake- but hey read the description.)

"All-natural Almased® is a powder made from high-quality fermented soy, skim milk yogurt powder and enzyme-rich honey. It contains all important nutrients the body needs, essential amino acids and enzymes for easy digestion. Almased® is non-GMO, gluten-free and contains no added sugars, preservatives, artificial, flavors or fillers. Almased® uses an ingenious, clinically tested formula and can be used by nearly anybody"

CONTAINS NO ADDED SUGAR. YEAH.

And if you read the post- 3 months ago, i was still struggling and trying to find a way. Do you still feel intelligent or do you really wan to go there with me????

Yogurt and honey contain sugar. The body does not differentiate between natural sugar and added sugar. Yes, I do feel intelligent for knowing that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    I'll start with responding to all of the unnecessary comments with 1 thing. MFP members solely ruin the experience and the point of this website. The point is to partake in healthy weightloss by way of reducing calorie intake, increasing physical activity and leading an overall healthier lifestyle.
    And one can do that while consuming sugar in control. Why wouldn't they be able to?
    Everything that I have said in this post encompasses that whole-heartedly. There is nothing drastic, nor "fad" like about this diet. I will not allow anyone to tell me that my weightloss is because of this or that because I am clearly telling you what it is. I have stated over and over again that sugar eliminates things such as white bread, white rice, packaged foods, and goodies. This means that esssentially the reduction of sugar will in turn, naturally reduce my carb intake, my sodium intake and my calorie intake.
    Then it worked for you. That doesn't mean that it's "right" for everyone. As I mentioned, MILLIONS of people in other countries consume what you mentioned above without suffering from obesity.
    I think there is a whole lot of wanting to be right when it comes it MFP and alot of the members are extremely hypocritical. I am only sharing this information because it has been a fast, easy and can help someone else.
    Or people who also are well educated in nutrition know that you DON'T have to cut out what you enjoying eating to achieve weight loss and good health.
    BTW. If you are not sure that sugar in excess is the primary source of obesity, diabetes and heart disease- you'd better call the American Heart Association and your primary care doctor. Again, missing the point with this.

EXCESS SUGAR= EXCESS CALORIES= MORE CALORIES IN THAN CALORIES OUT= WEIGHT GAIN= OBESITY= DISEASES THAT ARE CAUSED PRIMARILY BY WEIGHT GAIN AND OVER CONSUMPTION SUCH AS : DIABETES, HEART DISEASE.
    Key word is EXCESS. Now if one doesn't eat it in excess, does the same apply?
    I am well educated on the subject and I know that many causes of heart disease including conservative, genetic and environmental factors such as cardiomyelopathy. I am only relaying the fact that one of the major reasons why over 600,000 people die of heart disease every year in America. I won't argue the point though. To those that this helps, you are welcome. To those that it doesn't- half of you would argue with the creator of MFP just to right. If anyone needs additional help or wants to know more, please PM or friend me. I'm pretty much done talking to close minded people. By the way, if you choose not to reduce sugar intake, that's your business and the words "sugar is evil" were never mine. Again, simply trying to share an experience.
    I won't disagree with you that sugar is nutritionally worthless. But sugar does have it's place in metabolism. Whether a carb is simple or complex, they are both broken down into their simplest forms and stored as glycogen in the cells. And glycogen is the first (with the exception of alcohol consumption) energy source tapped by the body for physical activity. To deny that would be disingenuous.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think your hypothetical is extreme, I don't think starvation would happen if you ate 10,000 calories of protein only. But the overall point you are driving is right-on.

Oh! It's literally true!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
  • monicastricker9
    Options
    excellent not only does excess sugar add to weight issues, but it causes a host of preventable health problems.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Well that'd be like quoting the Bible to prove science and evolution are wrong. Doesn't always work out that way.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success, and I'm glad you found a way that works for you. :flowerforyou:

All the sugar dispute aside (although for the record I am on the side of moderation), I do not want fast weight loss. I want a plan and lifestyle that I can stick with for the rest of my life. I've been there/done that with "fast" weight loss. It is generally not sustainable in the long run.

I much prefer slow, steady, and maintainable weight loss.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    This whole low sugar thing reminds me of the low glycemic diet I fell for about 8 years ago - lost a ton of weight by limiting things like corn starch, ketchup etc - why because sugar and insulin spike of course. I lost a ton of weight!

Horse hockey - totally unsustainable in the long run and it all came back. Eat at a calorie defecit and if you want to maintain muscle mass up your protein and practice resistance training as well as cardio.

Weight loss, period, is almost impossible to maintain. So few people have done so successfully that it's hard to really study them as a group. I don't think it's totally unsustainable to cut out sugary sweets. It may be if you're actually worried about the tiny amounts in peanut butter or the odd bit of ketchup. Some people go indefinitely on such diets. That said, the OP says she sometimes indulges in ice cream. I think for most of us this sort of diet is unsustainable because our culture makes it hard to avoid sweets. At some point, you're going to be that po-faced *kitten* who refuses to enjoy that lovely cake Doris in accounting brought to your going-away party at work and not many people can stomach being that guy. But to become aware of what you're eating, and realise that you're trapped in a cycle of sugar highs and crashes or that you're drinking an extra thousand calories a week with your meals, isn't being an extremist.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

Definitely. You can't just eliminate one thing and think that it's all there is too it for the rest of your life. Your body will eventually adjust to that one thing and you will need to maintain in another way. This is just what is working and allowing me to breath life to that new lifestyle for the first time in my life.

Ahhh I get you now. The problem is interpretation - and there are many 1000s reading this who will stop at "no sugar" - hence why people are asking for "clarification" or just plain disagreeing.
  • Outwardlycalm
    Outwardlycalm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much done talking to close minded people.

Pot, meet Kettle!
    [/quote]

Explain how "in excess" is a flaw when I previously stated in my post that I did not eliminate sugars entirely and that I parenthesize "No sugar" because it's essentially means " low sugar". The entire post was about limiting the EXCESS.

But I'm pretty sure you read:

" So i was once fat and then i stopped eating sugar all together and now I'm skinnier and lost a bunch of water weight so everyone try it and you will be skinnier too. OH AND DON'T FORGET. Sugar evil, so don't be eatin' dat junk up in herrrre."

SMH.
    [/quote]

This :laugh: :heart:
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I myself, do still eat fruits all day every day and that has plenty of naturally occurring sugars and carbs, but just doesn't spike my insulin levels in the same way.

From that study:

"The symposium was sponsored by the American Society for Nutrition and supported in part by an educational grant from the Corn Refiners Association."

Funny that you state the sponsors but not the 102 studies cited. I'm not saying that bias might not exist. Just saying not to cherry pick that one statement from the entire thing.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm only stating that sugar itself is what American's struggle with most. Because it's in EVERYTHING.
    Except cuts of meat (which the US consumes more of than any other country), cooking oil, diet soda, etc.
    It IS a staple in a lot of processed foods because it's HIGHLY PALATABLE and encourages people to eat it. But doing this business for a long time, I've found that people get overweight because they don't pay attention to their calories. I have a great success rate helping people lose weight and keeping it off because I personally don't believe restricting them from consuming foods they actually enjoy. I just teach them how to still eat that food in moderation (along with more whole foods for nutrient density) so they can MAINTAIN a way of life they enjoy and not feel regretful about. Not saying you regret the way you approached it, but there a lots of programs with sugar reduced/elimination for weight loss and I'm more than sure that their failure rate is at 90% (just like all diet plans). You may be a part of the 10% that has no problem adhering to that type of lifestyle.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Outwardlycalm
    Outwardlycalm Posts: 75 Member
    Options

This to me is the appropriate way to answer a post. :drinker: :heart:
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

Weight loss, period, is almost impossible to maintain. So few people have done so successfully that it's hard to really study them as a group. I don't think it's totally unsustainable to cut out sugary sweets. It may be if you're actually worried about the tiny amounts in peanut butter or the odd bit of ketchup. Some people go indefinitely on such diets. That said, the OP says she sometimes indulges in ice cream. I think for most of us this sort of diet is unsustainable because our culture makes it hard to avoid sweets. At some point, you're going to be that po-faced *kitten* who refuses to enjoy that lovely cake Doris in accounting brought to your going-away party at work and not many people can stomach being that guy. But to become aware of what you're eating, and realise that you're trapped in a cycle of sugar highs and crashes or that you're drinking an extra thousand calories a week with your meals, isn't being an extremist.

You're on the wrong website if you thing weightloss is impossiblle to maintain - recent articles touting this are just mirroring the misinformation provided by the media with a new fad weight loss cure arriving daily. Take in less than you burn and you will lose weight. Take in as much as you burn and you will maintain. Take in more than you burn and you will gain.

But for my money and from my experience, the best way (easiest to maintain in the looooooooooong run) is to not cut out (read demonize) any one food, because - well cravings etc.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,991 Member
    Options

From that study:

Funny that you state the sponsors but not the 102 studies cited. I'm not saying that bias might not exist. Just saying not to cherry pick that one statement from the entire thing.
    Even big agra needs to be defended against correlations and finger pointing.