Sugar is the CULPRIT!

Options

Replies

• Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hormones may make people WANT to eat more, but they can't force people to eat more. Eating more than you burn is what makes people gain weight, period. WHY they choose to eat more has nothing to do with that equation.

No one is arguing that hormones can make people hungry - at least, I'm not. I'm well aware of that.

In a free living country, if people are hungry, they will more than likely eat. Calorie restriction(monitoring calories), is not the solution to the problem. You can sit there eating high GI foods all day. If you're under your calorie limit, you won't get fat.

But that doesn't explain "WHY" most Americans are fat. To "solve" the problem, I believe they have to limit high GI foods.

Counting calories is absolutely a solution to the problem, and also allows people like me to continue eating foods they enjoy, such as ice cream, burgers, fries, and cookies. If I couldn't count calories for some reason, I'd still be able to reasonably assess what I eat, and know if I was eating too much within a certain margin of error. I count calories because it makes life easier for me, simply put.

Education is far more important than restriction of specific foods, in my opinion. If people learn to balance their diet and live with a more active lifestyle, that is going to benefit them far more in the long run than simply cutting sugar and carbs out of their diet...
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Hormones may make people WANT to eat more, but they can't force people to eat more. Eating more than you burn is what makes people gain weight, period. WHY they choose to eat more has nothing to do with that equation.

No one is arguing that hormones can make people hungry - at least, I'm not. I'm well aware of that.

In a free living country, if people are hungry, they will more than likely eat. Calorie restriction(monitoring calories), is not the solution to the problem. You can sit there eating high GI foods all day. If you're under your calorie limit, you won't get fat.

But that doesn't explain "WHY" most Americans are fat. To "solve" the problem, I believe they have to limit high GI foods.

Stop, just stop, your stupidity is making my brain hurt.

Why are you even on a calorie counting site?

People's brains hurt when they don't have the intellectual capacity to understand something.

You know, if I start showing equations of differential equations, and advanced physics(engineering physics) and you sit there trying to understand it.

Okay as I said, i'll catch up later people.

Advanced physics (engineering physics) is quite simple to me.

You stupidity with what you are trying to convey in the rest of this thread is what makes my brain hurt.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Once again depends what they eat.

You missed the point. The point was that over eating is a CAUSE of something. The cause is hormones.

You're missing the only point.

Can you please state Taubes as your source. I mean the guy is a quack, but you should at least have enough respect for him as a fictional author to not plagiarize.

He's not a quack, you just don't understand what he's saying as most people don't understand what he's saying.
    He is a quack who wants to make a buck selling books. Alan Aragon will destroy him in debate next year.
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ca/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html

A quack that sells books? Sounds like Lyle Mcdonald.

Or people who sells personal coaching services on MFP.

I didn't read that, link i'll read it later. I skimmed through it. I thought it was about a debate coming up. I would like to watch it.

As I already pointed out, Alans views are flawed. He doesn't even realize he's posting supporting evidence for the consumption of high GI foods which have a higher insulin response than sugar. As Taubes states, and others, this is what is making us fat.
    Like I asked earlier do you even know how GI is measured? You do realize that you can take a high GI food and make it low GI just by consuming it with a mixed meal of protein ,fat and fiber.

Yes, but do you know what GI measures? How quickly glucose raises in the blood. Thus insulin levels.
    It may be educational for you if you also looked at the GL of a compete meal in addition to the GI of individual foods.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Why is monitoring calories not a solution to the problem of getting fat, when staying under your calorie limit will prevent you from getting fat?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Sugar is my life source and I don't care where I get it... be it fruit, vegetables, or candy.... if someone takes my life source away I will cut a person.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options

IMO, mindless eating is closer to the culprit rather then one particular molecule which is just silly to me...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Sugar is my life source and I don't care where I get it... be it fruit, vegetables, or candy.... if someone takes my life source away I will cut a person.

tumblr_inline_mjzgpqwF6k1qz4rgp.gif
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Everything you've said in this thread - every last thing - is completely wrong.

Dear sweet baby Jesus in heaven.. that is horrible advice.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You missed the point. The point was that over eating is a CAUSE of something. The cause is hormones.

Can you please state Taubes as your source. I mean the guy is a quack, but you should at least have enough respect for him as a fictional author to not plagiarize.

He's not a quack, you just don't understand what he's saying as most people don't understand what he's saying.
    Just from posts in this thread, I suspect one of you does actually understand him. But not the one you think.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    You know if there's a book out there where a doctor proved that sugar caused cancer...don't you think that would be KIND of a big deal? And not just something you remember reading in some book a while back.

But ok. This is what you've decided to tell people. This is the advice you want to give.

Back it up.

Provide some sources. Some evidence. Jesus how about at least the NAME of the doctor you claim to believe.

Provide evidence of the claim you're making or just admit you don't really know what you're talking about.

People continuously provide and have provided plenty of evidence for people to only poo poo it. So go research it for yourself.

We were never intended to eat sugar. And especially not in the quantities we eat it in today. Do what you like though. I try to abstain as much as possible.
  • rml_16
    Options

Why is monitoring calories not a solution to the problem of getting fat, when staying under your calorie limit will prevent you from getting fat?
    Aliens?
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    You know if there's a book out there where a doctor proved that sugar caused cancer...don't you think that would be KIND of a big deal? And not just something you remember reading in some book a while back.

But ok. This is what you've decided to tell people. This is the advice you want to give.

Back it up.

Provide some sources. Some evidence. Jesus how about at least the NAME of the doctor you claim to believe.

Provide evidence of the claim you're making or just admit you don't really know what you're talking about.
    ^This
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Back it up.

People continuously provide and have provided plenty of evidence for people to only poo poo it. So go research it for yourself.

We were never intended to eat sugar. And especially not in the quantities we eat it in today. Do what you like though. I try to abstain as much as possible.
    Yes, we were only intended to eat meat. No fruits, no veggies, no starches, no honey. LOL
  • rml_16
    Options

Back it up.

Yes, we were only intended to eat meat. No fruits, no veggies, no starches, no honey. LOL
    You know there were no fruit trees in paleolithic times. Geesh. All you people.

Oh but wait ... what did people eat before trees?
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options

No. I understand perfectly well. He is just wrong.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Jebus effin Christ I am getting tired of seeing this topic.

Listen, toots, ALL carbs are converted into sugar (glucose) and stored as glycogen via the glycogenesis cycle or lipids via the lipogenesis cycle. This is the way that the body stores energy. So yes, the human body IS made to deal with these amounts of sugar.

The only real issues that can arise is when sugar consumption leads to an energy surplus,and thus fat storage, or if sugar consumption takes such a precedence that other important macronutrients and micronutrients are ignored.

this!!!!!!!!!!! the education system seriously failed you, what did you think is going to happen to your low glycaemic index carbs

Also offended you assume I got fat due to eating sugar, I gained weight due to medical problems and I'm on here to lose it now I'm well again and trust me that chocolate digestive I had with my cuppa this morning isn't going to stop me from losing my pound of weight this week jeez!
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    IT IS FACT! PEOPLE DO RESEARCH ABOUT SUGAR, IF YOU THEN CHOSE TO INDULGE THEN AT LEAST I GAVE YOU SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.

DO NOT THINK IT IS NECESSARY TO GET ANGRY AT A LINK YOU CHOOSE TO CLICK ON!

I'm not angry at the link. I'm upset that you created a thread based upon lies.

OP, it seems the only things you abstain from more than sugar are critical thought and logic.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    In every box of crayolas, someone has to be the Burnt Sienna.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

How about just being more active, or mindful in their eating, or looking into the underlying reasons for emotional eating? It seems as though you are assuming that people eat in excess due to hunger, or at least that is how you have presented it above.