Bashed for gaining weight?

Options

Replies

• goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @owlibee

Yes, keep going until your periods come back - when I was underweight without periods, I had a bone scan and my t score showed I had mild osteomalacia.
    Hormones keep everything in check. Women's oestrogen production is important for their bones - and there are other complications from not having a period.

I would see a doctor about this, but it is possible to do it by yourself - just gain until you get your period back at least, for me it was around BMI 19.6 - 8 stone 2 lbs (I'm 5"4 high). Ignore what people say about you "not needing to gain any weight", health comes first and periods are very important.

Note - I have heard that some people need to gain a lot more to get their periods back, but they can then drop down to a lower - but not underweight - weight and they stay. Probably to do with the body "trusting" that it's going to get enough nutrition to be able to maintain pregnancy.

Also, excessive exercise, such as a lot of running, can do things to your period, but as you're not a professional runner (I assume) this shouldn't be a factor.

Hope this helped!
  • queenierz
    queenierz Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, I recently just got bashed by my friends for having bigger arms- in a muscular way. I am from a society where petite, scrawny, skinny-to-the-bone girls are considered pretty, so everyone around me was shocked to see my arms get more musclular and bulky. Sure, I've gain a little fat from bulking as well, but wait till I cut!
    Don't worry; make sure you eat all main food groups and get loads of proteins. Don't listen to what other s criticize you because first of all, you are the one who is controlling your ife. So be it. Goodluck!
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Why do you care? Then lose weight. Problem solved
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else on here get comments/messages telling them that they don`t need to gain weight and that they look "fine" and get questioned why their goal is to gain weight ?

Despite the fact that I am least a stone underweight and my periods are non existent because of this.(They wont come back unless I gain weight.)

I understand this is a fitness site and many people on here have goals of losing weight. But I feel those who want to gain weight should still be supported.

Don't let the bashers get to you. There are always going to bash, it's in their nature.

You do what you need to do for you.
  • Jaseau
    Jaseau Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hey! oh for sure. I dont think that people who are trying to gain weight should be neglected.
    There are many reasons people want to gain weight too! you go girl! ;)
  • Owlibee
    Owlibee Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Why do you care? Then lose weight. Problem solved

um what?
  • Owlibee
    Options
    Can we keep this on topic please?

Because half the replies on here are about what someone else said on some other post ect ect and its rather annoying having to scroll past all your hissy fits
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Because half the replies on here are about what someone else said on some other post ect ect and its rather annoying having to scroll past all your hissy fits

With this attitude, I am amazed anyone would wish to offer advice of any kind to you.
    Very rude.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You could take your pics showing your body down. I looked at them and honestly to me you don't appear skinny or skeletal, let alone too thin to have periods. You look like you have a healthy and normal amount of body fat (at least 18%) for that. I wonder if there is something else going on with you medically that might have disrupted your cycle...at any rate your weight and your body are your business, and if you feel you need to gain a little weight or a doctor has told you to gain a little weight to get you back regular that is your business. Please don't feel compelled to answer messages telling you otherwise.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    just gain until you get your period back at least, for me it was around BMI 19.6 - 8 stone 2 lbs (I'm 5"4 high). Ignore what people say about you "not needing to gain any weight", health comes first and periods are very important.

Note - I have heard that some people need to gain a lot more to get their periods back, but they can then drop down to a lower - but not underweight - weight and they stay. Probably to do with the body "trusting" that it's going to get enough nutrition to be able to maintain pregnancy.

Also, excessive exercise, such as a lot of running, can do things to your period, but as you're not a professional runner (I assume) this shouldn't be a factor.

Hope this helped!

true story! i actually lost mine while i was still up at 21.9 for BMI. had to gain about 8 pounds to get it back. I do a lot of running and thought it might be related to that, but I haven't changed my running routine. Only added back the weight and that's what made the difference. I'm heading back down a little bit just for poops and laughs to see if anything will be different this time around.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else on here get comments/messages telling them that they don`t need to gain weight and that they look "fine" and get questioned why their goal is to gain weight ?

No. No, I don't.
    Despite the fact that I am least a stone underweight and my periods are non existent because of this.(They wont come back unless I gain weight.)

OK, then listen to your doctor, not people on the internet.
    I understand this is a fitness site and many people on here have goals of losing weight. But I feel those who want to gain weight should still be supported.

Sure. It's your body, do what you want with it. If some guy who looks perfect "as is" wants to bulk up til he looks like the hulk, then that's his prerogative, too, and this site has all the information he needs to get the body he wants, just like you have all the information you need to gain weight.

But your profile says "Skinny, want to be curvy". And that's weird to me, and probably to others who have struggled their whole lives so that they can look like you, because to me you look perfect. You can take that as lack of support, or you can take it as a compliment.

Good luck to you.
  • Owlibee
    Options

With this attitude, I am amazed anyone would wish to offer advice of any kind to you.
    Very rude.

No. What's rude is people gossiping and fighting with another member when it has nothing to do with this post. If people have problems with other members there is a report button for that.
  • Owlibee
    Options
    @owlibee

Yes, keep going until your periods come back - when I was underweight without periods, I had a bone scan and my t score showed I had mild osteomalacia.
    Hormones keep everything in check. Women's oestrogen production is important for their bones - and there are other complications from not having a period.

I would see a doctor about this, but it is possible to do it by yourself - just gain until you get your period back at least, for me it was around BMI 19.6 - 8 stone 2 lbs (I'm 5"4 high). Ignore what people say about you "not needing to gain any weight", health comes first and periods are very important.

Hope this helped!

Thank you for the advice and sharing your experience. From what I can remember my periods were normal when I was around 19-20 on the bmi scale so I think it's a good goal to work with :)
  • R2Detoo
    R2Detoo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure where all the hate is coming from? I mean everyone has different goals and aspirations.

Do I think you're too skinny? No! Do I care that you want to lose weight? Not even a little. I'd only be worried if it were anything that would be harmful to you (eg if it were a girl who was 80 pounds wanting to lose weight), but your goal is fine!

Ignore the haters girl, you do what you want!

Also if you want more support I'd recommend one of the groups here? Like http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1107-gaining-weight (This was the first one I found, but I'm sure there are others if you look for it so you can meet people who share your goal!)

Good luck! :)
  • Owlibee
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure where all the hate is coming from? I mean everyone has different goals and aspirations.

Do I think you're too skinny? No! Do I care that you want to lose weight? Not even a little. I'd only be worried if it were anything that would be harmful to you (eg if it were a girl who was 80 pounds wanting to lose weight), but your goal is fine!

Ignore the haters girl, you do what you want!

Also if you want more support I'd recommend one of the groups here? Like http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1107-gaining-weight (This was the first one I found, but I'm sure there are others if you look for it so you can meet people who share your goal!)

Good luck! :)

Im actually wanting to gain weight but thank you anyway :)
  • R2Detoo
    R2Detoo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oops! Feeling a bit sleep deprived, I meant to say gain!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I would definitely prioritize getting my period back too if I were in your situation! So just keep up the good work! And the good eating :) mmm.

Agreed. Surely the priority should be getting your periods back and not aesthetics.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Am i missing something? A few people have said that this lady doesn't look like she's too thin etc... are there photos I'm not seeing? Currently I can just see one photo of her pretty face. Are these people basing their opinion on that single photograph?
    I expect they are clicking into her profile and seeing the other photos she has there which show more than her face. :wink:
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Obviously the OP's health is more important than whether she looks "too thin" or "thin enough". I don't know if her periods ceased at a lower weight than she is currently maintaining. Most (but not all) women don't stop menstruating until they reach a BMI well below 18...I still had my period at a BMI in the mid 16s, giving myself the false impression that I was "perfectly healthy" at that weight. But when women do lose their period to disordered eating they often need to reach a BMI of 19-20 in order for it to return.

While the OP may appear to be at a healthy weight, with a normal body fat percentage, her BMI does meet the criteria for "underweight". Perhaps we are just accustomed to the images we see in the media of unusually slender models, actresses, and other celebrities promoting their "healthy" lifestyles (Miranda Kerr, Gwyneth Paltrow, etc) that we come to think of a slightly underweight build as "normal" and "attractive."

I know the OP has admitted to suffering from Body Dysmorphia, and has been working with a therapist. No doubt she needs our support rather than criticism.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Very rude.

No. What's rude is people gossiping and fighting with another member when it has nothing to do with this post. If people have problems with other members there is a report button for that.

not for nothing- but it's the internet- and it happens.

It's so not as serious as you're making it out to be.

You've gotten good advice- and continue to get some good advice- are you looking for something else still?