• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Oh, I beer, and I'm doing it right now
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Oh, I beer, and I'm doing it right now
    Will you be getting all belligerent and stripping on the table?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    The last beer I had was 12 years ago. It was an Oatmeal Stout.
  • bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Oktoberfest starts in two days... Since I live right next to it I won't have a choice but to beer a lot for 16 days. Wow.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Oktoberfest starts in two days... Since I live right next to it I won't have a choice but to beer a lot for 16 days. Wow.

I'm pretty sure that I am not alone when I say that I am envious
  • TheSnarkasticSkyscraper
    Options
    I beer so hard it hurts.
  • Vortex_ConQueso
    Options
    h1A4F348C

Insult various craft beers, but then cheer Sam Adams (which is mass produced swill, itself...)
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I agree with you.

I prefer a good micro brew (we have a new place opening down the street this weekend)

I don't understand the "gimmicky" beers and I steer clear of them. 100%.

Does that make me an a-hole too?

It's cool, I have a great rack.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Yep!
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    I'm Timber Beasting at the moment under a Lazy Magnolia
  • TheSnarkasticSkyscraper
    Options
    h1A4F348C

Insult various craft beers, but then cheer Sam Adams (which is mass produced swill, itself...)

I can't wait until we beer together!!
  • NetflixAndChocolate
    Options
    yes, if its got beer in the title it is beer!
  • monicastricker9
    Options
    I totally agree with your statements.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    h1A4F348C

^^Whoever you are, I like you.
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What I DO NOT understand, is how many people drink (what I consider to be) gimmicky crap. There are a slew of people out there who LOVE: vanilla, chocolate or caramel beers (way beyond minor notes of chocolate, but I mean CHOCOLATE), bacon maple donut stouts, oyster liquor porters, pumpkin ales, jalapeno lagers, etc. To me, it begs the question: do you actually like beer? In the coffee world, it'd be like someone saying: "I just love coffee, especially mocha frappuccinos, pumpkin spice lattes, and salted caramel drinks." You don't like coffee, you like flavored syrups and whipped cream with subtle notes of coffee.

Anyway, you already know what a jerk I am. Sound off! Are gimmicky beer drinkers real beer drinkers? Or are they to be guilted by a-holes like me on Yelp?"

I consider myself a beer enthusiast/striving to be expert (I would like to take the first level Cicerone certification when I have a spare $60). Personally, my favorite style is a red. I have yet to meet a red that I don't like.

But, like you, I like a lot of different styles if the beer itself is good, from an IPA to a lager. I'm not a huge fan of Belgians, but some stand out. Despite that, you know what? I've purchased a bomber of Rogue's Voodoo Maple Bacon Donut ale on more than one occasion. It tastes like breakfast to me and I had never had a "smoked" ale before. You know what else? Every time I see they have a new Voodoo ale out, I buy it!

I think "real" beer drinkers can enjoy gimmicky beers, too, and that doesn't make them any less of a "real" beer drinker. However, being a bit of a beer snob - perhaps like yourself - if someone only ever asks for a Shocktop/Blue Moon or a Shandy or a Raddler or a Chocolate porter/stout (read: they're ordering something based on it's name - they think it will be chocolatey, for example - or based on extreme advertising, like Shocktop)...I'm going to assume it's because they don't know enough about beer to order something better.
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I feel like a bad man agreeing with you and being "borderling anti-Rogue," but I just can't get behind a lot of what they do. I do love me some Dead Guy, even though I tend to stay away from malty-sweet brews. Ever tried Double Dead Guy? I got so excited when it was on draft at a local taphouse, but it was faaaaar too sweet for my taste. If anyone can recommend a solid rogue brew (not something overly sweet or, as we've said, "gimmicky") I would love to try it. I am from Portland, OR originally and kind of hate myself for not loving such an OR beer icon.

Actually, a lot of my favorite brews come from CA. My favorite breweries are Sierra Nevada, Firestone-Walker (WOOKIE JACK!), Lagunitas, and Stone. Starting to get into Ballast Point and Russian River, too!

I don't think that's bad. Dead Guy is one of my favorite beers to date, but I honestly think Rogue has gotten too comfortable after winning Best Beer for so many years in a row, and they aren't keeping up with all of the newer micro/craft breweries that have popped up over the past ~5 years. I am disappointed by a lot of their beers and consider most to be...mediocre, at best.

Ninkasi is my favorite brewery, and for what it's worth, we just started getting Ballast Point beers on tap at my work at I LOVE every single one we've had (Sculpin IPA is my favorite).
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Most Stouts are my go-to. And pretty much EVERYTHING my local brewery Hangar 24 makes... :drinker:

I hate "lite" or "light" or "low carb" or "ultra" "beers" :noway:

That being said,

I'm kind of digging Blue Moon's Cinnamon Horchata ale right now :laugh:
  • bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure that I am not alone when I say that I am envious

Don't be envious. It's sixteen days of insanely drunk people and puke everywhere. The place is horribly crowded and the beer waaay overpriced. I like to go there a couple of times but if to really enjoy a beer or two or 21 I'd prefer other places.

Hey, if this thread isn't dead by then, I might even post a picture of me wearing a Dirndl waving a Maß (one liter of beer) around :-D
  • lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    At 46 years old I know very little about beer. I drink a lot of beer that beer snobs can't stand, such as coors, bud, tecate and such, but lately I've been making a point to try "new to me" beer when I go out. I don't bother asking a waitress or bartender about the beers because I'm not gonna get what they are talking about. Or they aren't sure and talk out of their *kitten*. So I pick one and try it or order a sampler. The problem is, I forget the names of some of them (not from black out) but some of the names are hard for me to remember. I live south of San Diego and attend a great number of Carne Asadas, so I drink whatever is clever, and it is usually tecate, bud light, pacifica or corona. I'm good with any of them. I Beer
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    How many of you have a full "World Beer Tour" passport from Old C's? I need to know. For science.