What Foods Bring Back Memories Of Your Childhood

Options
Yesterday I read a post from someone who was being tempted by the smell of toast being cooked by her roommate. I got me to thinking about how toast with butter and jam and a cup of tea is by far one of my favorite breakfasts. In fact, I generally can't stand eating breakfast, it's just something I feel needs to be done. Thinking about it made me realize why I have such a love for toast and jam with tea. All of my growing years when I would visit or my grandmother would visit me we would sit down for a little conversation over a cup of tea and some toast spread with jams we had made together from the fruit grown in our yard. Those were very special times for me and in my mind, that tea and toast is oh so much more than food, it is comfort, joy, happiness and peace rolled all into one. oI think I feel about it the way many feel about family dinners or holidays? What about you? Any childhood food memories?

Replies

• vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It's kind of funny you bring up this topic, last night when opening a jar of cinnamon powder I got a good whift of it and immediately went back to my childhood. Cinnamon toast. My mom used to put some butter, sugar, and cinnamon on toast and I would have it for breakfast. It was sooo tasty. Not very filling mind you, but oh so delicious!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon toast! YUM. I hadn't thought of cinnamon toast in years! Those were the days! Pouring sugar on your bread and calling it breakfast.

I guess mine would be popcorn. When I was a kid, my mom decided dad should cook dinner on Sundays. Every Sunday, we would have popcorn, apples and cheese while we watched "The Wonderful World of Disney" with my dad.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Mine's more of a sweet. Highland toffee.......used to be 10p. Probably £3 now lol.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    fresh baked bread right from the oven, with butter. My mom used to bake bread every time we'd have a snow storm. We'd come in from shovelling and there'd be hot bread ... YUM.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Buttered toast dipped in hot chocolate. Usually not the 'good' hot chocolate, either, it was almost always sugar-free Swiss Miss (no marshmallows) and on special occasions, Droste. I think this is why I don't like the drinking chocolates almost everyone else thinks are so great.

Broiled tuna salad and cheese with Saltines. Tuna salad must have diced sweet pickle (not relish) and apple, cheese must me sharp cheddar, put in a Corningware dish and broil until bubbly and brown. Eat with a fork and occasionally put on a cracker.
  • PhoebeGrey
    Options
    Cinnamon toast! YUM. I hadn't thought of cinnamon toast in years! Those were the days! Pouring sugar on your bread and calling it breakfast.

I guess mine would be popcorn. When I was a kid, my mom decided dad should cook dinner on Sundays. Every Sunday, we would have popcorn, apples and cheese while we watched "The Wonderful World of Disney" with my dad.
    Wow! Your ad was some good cook!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    pancakes
    breakfast sausage
    ground beef in general

Kind of weird though because I don't think we even ate those things very often!
  • KCMission
    KCMission Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Pancakes on Sunday morning. It was the only time my dad cooked - religiously every Sunday morning he made from-scratch pancakes, and you never knew what new recipe he would try next. Still makes me smile when I smell pancakes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Bacon or sausage, eggs, and potatoes for breakfast...my dad did that pretty much every Saturday morning. I carry on the same tradition.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    baked beans...I hated them then and I hate them now, the smell alone gags me. My mom was one who believed you had to have a serving (how ever much she heaped on your plate) of everything that was on the table and you had to clean your plate. I hated the smell and taste of baked beans, so I would gag and choke on them, eating them one bean at a time and if I didn't finish the ones on my plate within the allotted time given by my mom, I had to eat them cold the next morning as my breakfast....ahh, childhood memories.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Wow! Your dad was some good cook!

LOL, yeah - his other specialty was fried spam sandwiches.

The really funny part is that now he is an excellent cook (he's been single for a long time now, as have I but my cooking never improves).
    My mom was one who believed you had to have a serving of everything that was on the table and you had to clean your plate.

My mom was the same way. After my sister hid her peas in the toaster and under the refrigerator, we all got to choose one "hate" food.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    French meat stuffing or French meat pie (tourtiere). There are certain spices in it that remind me of Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners with extended family. This is a Canadian dish made with ground pork and beef, bread or potatoes, and some spices, such as allspice. It's definitely not lowfat.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    mac and cheese and hot dogs.....hated them then still hate them....we were a military family...dad was gone a lot so mom served what he would not eat...
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    We did cinnamon toast - broiled in the oven. Us kids made it ourselves. Take bread (we only had white bread back then), butter it, add lots of sugar and cinnamon. Place on top oven rack and turn oven to broil. Watch very very carefully. If done right, you had a yummy mixture of butter and cinnamon with crusted sugar. Melt in your mouth crunchy goodness.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Pimento and cheese, homemade, by my mother. She made some for my birthday earlier this month and I just loved it.

Oh, and I love how the first three profile pics are cats!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    This is a funny one.
    But my grandma used to let me go buckwild in the kitchen as a child to make "bird food". I would literally grab anything and everything out of the kitchen that I could get my tiny little hands on/reach, pour it into a bowl, and give it to her to "feed" the birds with.

I think one concoction was oatmeal, water, milk, and black pepper.

She always used to tell me the birds enjoyed it when I would ask.

Can't really look at oatmeal now without remembering what a strange child I was and laugh...and how my grandma tolerated, embraced, and encouraged my quirks, haha. Love her.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Buttered toast rubbed with a clove of garlic - and then off to school!

Sauerkraut and hot Hungarian sausage.

Supper of crackers, cheese, sardines, and chunks of bologna when Mom had a hard day at work.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Roast dinners.
    Pilchards on toast.
    Banana sandwiches.
    Battenburg cake.
    Baked potatoes.
    Vegetable stews with TVP (textured vegetable protein).
    Beans on toast.
    Campbells meatballs.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've only made it a couple of times in my adult life but definitely white rice mixed with white gravy. I grew up in a lower income household. Also, those little oven pizzas… I can't recall the brand right now.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I've only made it a couple of times in my adult life but definitely white rice mixed with white gravy. I grew up in a lower income household. Also, those little oven pizzas… I can't recall the brand right now.

Ellios? They're the square ones that you break off into three servings. Are those what you were talking about?
    Or those mini round Celeste ones?