So thin or huge you only get 2,300 sodium a day

Options
2»

Replies

• GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    What may be a stupid question- can you eat too little salt? I've had my blood pressure checked (several times, I used to get dizzy spells with loss of vision on standing when I was younger) and it's always been fine so if that's not low can it ever be a problem not eating enough salt? Is there a minimum level anyone knows of?

IMO - I would look at magnesium as opposed to sodium. I think a blood test can tell you what you are lacking.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options

I suppose the carbs I do eat (which I eat too many of!) tend to complex carbs like brown bread (I swear I have a toast addiction), brown rice, new potatoes etc because I genuinely prefer them to their "white" counterparts..
    I have to try my best to avoid simple carbs in general especially if they also are high sugar like pastries, cake, chocolate because as soon as I start eating them I eat a lot of them and find it hard to get away from them again..
    I suppose you're right in that those foods tend to be the high salt ones and I suppose in avoiding them I'm avoiding the salt.

What may be a stupid question- can you eat too little salt? I've had my blood pressure checked (several times, I used to get dizzy spells with loss of vision on standing when I was younger) and it's always been fine so if that's not low can it ever be a problem not eating enough salt? Is there a minimum level anyone knows of?

I found the salt in things like Tortillas and even whole wheat bagels to be much higher than expected. Tortillas were off the charts. One medium size flour tortilla (I use them for fish tacos) was over 400mg of sodium.

As for too little salt, yes, your body needs a certain amount to balance your electrolytes. When I used to do endurance bicycling, we would take salt pills to replenish, or it would cramp the muscles...
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I just started on Sunday and couldn't believe how much salt I was pouring into my body everyday. Cup of Soup with added chicken broth and water, ham for lunch, something with salt for dinner. And that was what I was aware of at the time. No more noodle soup and eggs for me. This has been a real eye opener for me. I truly think this will finally be the thing that does work for me.

Found the exact same thing here...crazy!
  • ButterflyEl
    ButterflyEl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I find I rarely (if ever) hit the sodium level..

I don't know if UK food has less salt in it than in other countries or if it's just because I cook most of my meals from scratch (but I still eat processed snacks etc and I'm no saint and have pizza/fast food about once a week atm) but I am puzzled by the fact I seem to eat so little salt. I'm surprised that other people find it low tbh.

Now carbs are another matter... I made a conscious effort to try and reduce my carb intake and all that's happened is it's actually increased to even more above where it's supposed to be!

I never get enough protein either. I'm curious, people that find the sodium level low, do you get enough protein? Are protein rich foods high in salt?

Sodium isn't required information on packaging in the UK, so you are possibly getting more than you think.

I was really surprised about this so looked it up but it looks like it is:

"III. MANDATORY (“BACK OF PACK”) NUTRITION
    LABELLING
    Content of nutrition declaration
    Mandatory nutrition declaration
    You must declare the following items:
    (a) energy value (in both kilojoules (kJ) and kilocalories (kcal)); and
    (b) the amounts (in grams (g)) of fat, saturates, carbohydrate, sugars, protein and
    salt
    Declaration of salt rather than sodium
    The term “salt” must be used since it is more readily comprehensible by consumers
    than “sodium”. The amount of salt in a product is calculated by determining the total
    sodium in a product (naturally occurring, and that deriving from salt and other
    additives) and multiplying by 2.5."

From: http://www.reading.ac.uk/foodlaw/pdf/uk-13016-nutrition-lab-tech-guidance.pdf

It's just that manufacturers here can say salt rather than sodium for some reason.

Guyincognito1: that makes a lot of sense as to why I don't hit my salt levels. I didn't realize we were so strict compared to overseas! I'm relieved though as it makes it a lot easier.

Fit_in_Folsom: I've been watching my potassium and magnesium intake and I never get even close to enough of either of these. I don't seem to be able to find a supplement that has them either. It's very confusing.