OMG it takes sooo long!!

Options
Yip.. I'm complaining about how long it takes to loose the weight after years of eating crappy foods and not working out! I know the irony in this.. but frustrated :laugh:

Anyone else just feel like stomping their feet and taking an adult tantrum because of how LOOOONG it takes!! :sad:

Replies

• melissamarie2196
    melissamarie2196 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh boy do I know the feeling, seems it gets harder each time around lol. Before I would just cut down take a few walks a week and lose, now finding time to walk is so hard and Iam always tired due to stress and working crazy hours, but Ive started with this site and Iam hopeing I get it...Been staying within cals but now worried scale my not be moveing the way I want due to a med Iam on..:( Alittle fustrated with that and worried...How has things been for you? How long have you been on this site and how has it been for you???
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No, because I know it takes time and dedication to get to where I want to be. I went into this expecting it to take about eighteen months for me to lose the weight, but I know now it's going to be longer than that.
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Think about it as a new lifestyle change and Life journey instead of taking so long, yes it takes long but make it a journey to your life story. Write down your feelings, buy something nice for yourself for when you do get to your goal and look at it when that feeling gets you down. This is a lifestyle now...LET'S ROCK IT!!!
  • melissamarie2196
    melissamarie2196 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow some of you should really be sooo proud, I know when I see the numbers you all have lost its amazeing...I hope and pray I too can be up there and proud of where Iam at and where I came from..:)
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there are times where that thought pops in. Especially in the beginning when I'd come from a background of always trying those silly quick fixes and failing. But for the most part I've accepted it and learned to enjoy the process as much as possible. I actually quite enjoy being on MFP and slowly plugging away towards my goal. It helps me to enjoy it more by eating foods I love regularly (in moderation) and finding new fitness goals and challenges, getting into new activities, meeting lovely people on here, interacting, and always looking for other forms of motivation apart from that number on the scale, such as gaining muscle, being able to lift more, run longer, etc.. Or I focus on how things look, comparison photo's, my jeans looking a bit more saggy, or lost inches etc.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Someone on here once pointed out something that stuck with me -- time is going to pass regardless of whether you decide to make a change or not. So, even if it takes two years (or whatever), those two years will pass by whether you want them to or not, so do you want to be healthier by that time or the same weight?
  • tx_mom72
    Options
    Yes to the point I said forget losing. Then an epiphany,,,,,we're always complaining of how fast a yr goes so I decided to give it just a yr. 14 months straight logging now & don't plan on leaving here or stopping what I'm doing any time soon! Give it time & you'll get there.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It is 5 times as easy to gain weight, as it is to lose it.
    Sadly, so many of us seem to forget this or conveniently feign ignorance in the days or weeks we fall off the wagon, lol.
    But, slow as it is, at least this way you are still living your life, creating new habits and making it more likely you will keep the weight off.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Sure. We all get impatient. I have found that relaxing, believing in the process and just doing what I need to do has been more beneficial to my long term progress than anything else.

I believe that the fast fixes are temporary. Small changes executed over time are the most effective.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. Some things changed this year and I let them throw me off my path a bit.
    I'm just under halfway (have lost roughly 27lb so far), and it is draaaaagging - especially as I have gained a few lbs back in the last 2 months.
    I just try to keep at it, and look at old pics to remind me how far I have come, because at the moment all I can see is how far i still have to go!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Yip.. I'm complaining about how long it takes to loose the weight after years of eating crappy foods and not working out! I know the irony in this.. but frustrated :laugh:

Anyone else just feel like stomping their feet and taking an adult tantrum because of how LOOOONG it takes!! :sad:

Yep. I'll admit it. I got pregnant last year after losing a bunch of weight (still needed to lose 40lbs or so) and now I'm just trying to get rid of this dang pregnancy weight. :laugh:

I just have to remember that no matter how much I would love the fat to just disappear overnight that this is going to take time. I will push through and not give up (no matter how slow and frustrating).
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Oh I hear that. I'm down 50 but still have another 150 to go. Yup, I definitely get frustrated by that glaring overall goal weight.

Time is going to pass whether I'm making myself healthy or not, though...so I'm just pluggin' away, and hopefully I'll be here to celebrate many, many, many New Years Eves because of it.

That said, yeh...it's overwhelming sometimes and I have to kick myself square in the bohonkus to keep on keepin' on. I can't wait for the day when it's too small for me to kick. :smile:
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Sometimes I feel like stomping my feet! Unfortunately its only myself who I am frustrated at.

I truly understand that losing weight takes time, and one week of healthy eating won't magically make me skinny, but it would be nice! so sometimes I stamp my feet and then go off to do some exercise - moving in the right direction!

Plus if I woke up tomorrow at my goal weight *nothing* would fit and I can't afford to replace my entire wardrobe all in one go
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    It can be frustrating but then again, what will you change once you have reached goal? will you magically be able to eat 5000 calories a day again and not gain weight? NO, will you be happy just because you lost weight? NO. If you look at this as a complete change of life to be healthier and move more then there is no time frame. Keep up the great work and make each day better than the last. That is as much as you can do.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Someone on here once pointed out something that stuck with me -- time is going to pass regardless of whether you decide to make a change or not. So, even if it takes two years (or whatever), those two years will pass by whether you want them to or not, so do you want to be healthier by that time or the same weight?

Exactly this. However, I do understand the frustration.
  • mikeford11
    mikeford11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ma'am, I'm impressed. I wish to accomplish what you have. Kudos to you. :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Ha i know the feeling. I am always wondering when i can just stop. I realise though however long it takes its worth it in the end. Then there is keeping it off so it really is never ending. Good luck and keep on keeping on. x
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I constantly have to remind myself of how far I have come. Because when I look at how much fat I still have and how far I have left to go… it gets really demoralizing really quick!

I have a picture (my current profile pic) that I look at CONSTANTLY! I feel kind of vain or conceited that I'm constantly looking at a picture of myself… but it's the only way I can see a difference. Because I don't see it just by looking in the mirror.

I know it's gonna be a long process and I also want to be able to keep it off … so I try to be more process oriented rather than goal oriented. "If you focus on results you'll never change. If you focus on change, you'll get results." I'd be lying if I said I didn't love seeing the results…. but I still have to give myself a pep talk and mentally prepare myself every time I step on the scale… just in case.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You know this is a bell shape curve journey right?

On one side you have the newbiees just starting out...bad shape,ill health, overweight...
    On the other side you have the elite, the hardcore, I call them Xmen

In my experience if you start on the left newbie side, give it your all... training/diet wise. You will hit mid point, meaning, an average health in 6-9 months. You will get attah boys from your friends and family for returning to "normal looking". Problem is, most and I mean MOST people who settle for this will slip back into being overweight. Why? Because you didn't make this a lifestyle change.

Now if you continue somewhere between say 9 months to a 18 months, some magic happens. You start to notice bumps appearing where they've never been before and you can see things on your body that you haven't seen for years. Like a, taking a shower and actually seeing your heals by simply looking down. Your triceps start to develop..you may even start seeing the appearance of ab muscles. And people really start to notice, their interest shifts from questions on why you did it to HOW did you do it?

But the best is yet to come, if you are working out weight training wise...you are now living in the goldielocks stage, where you can actually lose fat AND gain muscle at the same time. This is a magical time...maximize it cuz its very very rare.

Somewhere between say 2-3 years, you have transformed. You are now superior physcially than perhaps anyone you know. And it shows.You are stronger, faster and/or can run farther than people half your age. You will literally get stopped on the street and asked question on how to workout. Everyday a stranger will come up to you and compliment you. Don't even get me started on the impact you have on the opposite sex. If you are a guy, let's just say the tables are turned. You will be hunted. While your significant other will literally bushwack you whenever possible for a rumble...if you get my drift. You have now become an Xman.

This isn't a fable, it's true. I myself have lived it and I have some good bodybuilding friends that pretty much mirror my path from overweight/unhealthy to an Xman. We are in no way special. No special genetics, no special drugs. We only had a deep desire to change. To transform.

It's up to you how long you want to stay on the path...but the opportunites are literally beyond most of your comprehension. So while it may take a long time, in the end you will be in the top 1% if you stick to it.
  • stephnicholson91
    Options
    Are you just loosing weight through diet and exercise? Over what amount of time has it taken you to lose the weight?