When did others start noticing?

Options
I've lost about 40 pounds. Almost halfway to my goal. I was just curious how long it was before friends and family started to notice your weightloss? I'm getting a bit discouraged. I can't see it and no one else can either.

Replies

• skinnymamma29
    skinnymamma29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my friends and family noticed after about 20lbs lost,dont get discouraged keep it up you are doing great.... :wink:
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You can't see it because you see yourself everyday and therefore can't see changes. Other people could probably see it and don't want to comment on your weight loss because they feel like they might be insulting you.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    At 25 they started looking a little weird, at 40 they said: Is something different At 47 (almost 50) they said: Oh ****, your skinny now.. whats wrong, sick? LOL
  • kwiatrtdy
    kwiatrtdy Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20lbs but nobody has noticed yet. Even though I haven't lost loads if inches I do feel a little bit more comfortable in my skinny jeans which I'm going to take as a good thing. Though as of yet I honestly haven't seen any real difference other than on the scale.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    People that see you often aren't going to notice it very easily, since they're seeing the changes in teeny increments (just like you're seeing them). People who have not seen you in a while or who don't regularly see you will notice it sooner.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    For me it was at 30 pounds...I was losing and losing then BAM all of a sudden everyone was like, OMG have you lost weight?? :happy:
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    10 pounds and everyone is pointing out how my hourglass shape is back. Woo.
  • cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for people to notice too. My parents say they can, but I asked them to LOOK
  • roudoudou
    Options
    I've been up and down quite a bit but for me it was probably about 50 pounds. People also started really noticing when I bought some new, better-fitting clothes, so maybe this is an excuse for you to treat yourself to some shopping. :)
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, people were noticing, but didn't say anything until I mentioned it first.

We don't talk weight loss at work, but we do talk fitness since we're military. I was discussing the progress I made and the diet changes suggested from a class I took. When I say "I've lost 20 pounds in 3 months" the usual response was "I noticed, but I wasn't sure that was intentional!" Weird, I know, but some people are afraid to talk about weight.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I got comments at around 20lbs, but they were people who hadn't seen me in the interim. I wouldn't assume that people who aren't saying anything haven't noticed, but it is also true that if they see you often it might not be so obvious to them. I would suggest taking progress pictures and measurements so that you can look at those and have the evidence right in front of you on the days that you just don't see the loss.
  • Jayma375
    Jayma375 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 30 pounds and just this week 2 people noticed. My favorite comment was from a young man at work (I'm twice his age) said "Have you lost weight, a significant amount of weight??". It certainly felt good!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Nobody has said anything about it, but then I lost only 22 lbs., not a huge amount, and am in maintainance now.
  • ItsKacky
    ItsKacky Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 15 and nobody's noticed. I figured they'd notice but they havent. I am so glad I have the scales to tell me!!!!!
  • paulasews
    Options
    Last time I was losing it was a good 40+lbs before people noticed but that was starting at around 350lbs of pretty evenly spread weight. Assuming I lose relatively evenly all over it's going to take a big loss before it's obvious. It also takes a big loss for me to drop a clothing size.

This time I have told more people I'm trying to lose so I am interested to see if that affects how quickly they notice a difference
  • godswill206
    Options
    After the first 10 lbs people started to notice my attitude was changing. I've lost a lot of weight and still have a hard time recognizing it. Family and friends notice it more than me and I wonder when that will change.
  • RangedLunatic
    RangedLunatic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just got my first comment today! It was after 54 pounds lost from my peak weight. It was from someone I only see every few months. The people I see every day are less likely to notice, and if they notice they don't say anything.

It probably helped that I was in my old uniform, which was suspiciously baggy. Again, if the clothes keep fitting consistently, there's less to notice.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    People really started noticing big time at over 50lbs lost.
    The odd observant friend noticed before. It takes a big change for self absorbed people to notice ie most of the people in your life.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 40 pounds. Almost halfway to my goal. I was just curious how long it was before friends and family started to notice your weightloss? I'm getting a bit discouraged. I can't see it and no one else can either.
    So long as you wear old clothes in old size most won't notice!
    Wear clothes in your new size, then people may notice.
    Either way, don't let that.be your motivation.
    They only notice after the hard work is done anyway - keep at it!
    :-)
  • littlexweird0
    Options
    I've lost about 5 lbs and my family noticed it. I guess it depends on the organism or of the clothes. :) Keep it up and don't worry! You are doing it great! :)