Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do YOU judge your fitness level?

2»

Replies

• GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    My own measurement of fitness is totally arbitrary and based on how sprightly and energetic I am. Otherwise I tend to track against specific goals, e.g. can I walk up the 200 steps to uni without panting like a creep, can I run for 60 minutes without stopping, etc.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I suppose I judge it by how long I can run for, how much I can do without getting out of breath, and my recovery rate.

I'm overweight at the moment, 4 months after my 3rd baby, but I was within a healthy BMI before pregnancy. I was doing aerobics until 38 weeks pregnant and able to keep up, although of course having to adapt some things. Does that make me fit?

My personal trainer says I'm strong and I have a fast recovery rate, although I don't know if I'm fit or not, because I guess I can always push myself more. My abs haven't recovered their original strength yet. I can hold a plank for a minute, but I struggle with a side plank.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    I like to think in terms of functional fitness. If i were on the 30th floor of building and needed to evacuate, could I make it down 30 flights of stairs very quickly? Yes. Or if i was on the bottom floor and needed to be airlifted, could I make it to the 30th floor very quickly? Yes. If i had to escape a dangerous situation on foot, I could run for four hours straight, possibly more. If i had to run fast to escape, I'd hit at least a 7:30 mile, never tried to run faster than that as i don't normally run one mile. If i was hiking and slipped off a cliff, could I pull myself up again? Not sure. I've been focusing so much on running and endurance that my strength is suffering. And i think i need to work on that. Because I have lost my ability to do proper pull ups and i can't do many proper push ups right now either, I don't think I'm fit. But i tried doing strength and running together but my running was suffering, so i think I'll wait till race season is over and work on being more well rounded.