If you're serious about losing weight, read on.

Options
Stop consuming refined carbohydrates. Stay away from white bread, white pasta and white rice. All they do is turn to sugar and then turn into fat in your body. Stay away from juices. If you want to drink juices, juice your own otherwise don't bother. They're comprised of mostly sugar. Stay away from alcohol, again sugar. Stay away from creamy sauces and dressings as they're very high in fats and especially saturated fats.

Read and understand labels and ingredients. Anything ending in ose is a sugar. Glucose, fructose, dextrose, et cetera. Syrups, malts and honey are also sugar substitutes. The further down the list sugar or sugar substitutes are listed in the ingredients the better. Try to avoid processed foods but if you must eat them then be sure to check, the sodium content, sugar content and fat content, look for those that are low in all of them.

Sugar = Fat.
Refined carbohydrates = Sugar = Fat

Get the picture?

If anyone has anything to add, please do.

The only exception to the sugar rule is real fruits. Those are good sugars. Consume those fresh or frozen(unsweetened only).

Replies

• lordofultima
    Options
    I eat pretty much no refined carbohydrates. But still, the ultimate determining factor in losing weight, is calorie deficit. If you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight, guaranteed. Perhaps people try to over-complicate things when it's really that simple.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much no refined carbohydrates. But still, the ultimate determining factor in losing weight, is calorie deficit. If you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight, guaranteed. Perhaps people try to over-complicate things when it's really that simple.
    :drinker:
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Watch this! ****ING SCARY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!! Just watched the link you posted. Very very scary. I shall work on reducing my fructose intake BIG TIME. Thanks for the heads up.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Stop consuming refined carbohydrates. Stay away from white bread, white pasta and white rice. All they do is turn to sugar and then turn into fat in your body. Stay away from juices. If you want to drink juices, juice your own otherwise don't bother. They're comprised of mostly sugar. Stay away from alcohol, again sugar. Stay away from creamy sauces and dressings as they're very high in fats and especially saturated fats.

Read and understand labels and ingredients. Anything ending in ose is a sugar. Glucose, fructose, dextrose, et cetera. Syrups, malts and honey are also sugar substitutes. The further down the list sugar or sugar substitutes are listed in the ingredients the better. Try to avoid processed foods but if you must eat them then be sure to check, the sodium content, sugar content and fat content, look for those that are low in all of them.

Sugar = Fat.

Get the picture?

The only exception to the sugar rule is real fruits. Those are good sugars. Consume those fresh or frozen(unsweetened only).

rright cos if you eat those things you wont lose weight... rubbish! everything in moderation :) if you stayed away from everything and anything that had negative reports you wouldnt eat anything!
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Sugar = Fat.

Get the picture?

rright cos if you eat those things you wont lose weight... rubbish! everything in moderation :) if you stayed away from everything and anything that had negative reports you wouldnt eat anything!

Amen, by excluding whole groups of food you are just setting yourself up for binging and failure.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    To think all this time I have been joking about losing weight. angry.gif
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    To think all this time I have been joking about losing weight. angry.gif

I always thought you were just a funny guy! :tongue:
  • countjackula
    Options

This is correct.

Although avoiding sugars is just good practice -- they don't add anything to your diet nutritionally and they waste calories that you could be using for something nutritious. Your body doesn't NEED sugar. If you CHOOSE to have sugar, it's certainly not the end of the world or of your goals, but you should do so with your eyes open:

Sugar and sugar-replacements (including agave nectar, high-fructose corn syrup, maltodextrin, etc.) are equally bad for you.

Sugar in fruits isn't great for you either... the difference though is that with fruits you get vitamins, antioxidants, etc. It balances things out slightly whereas with things like soda or sweets you get nothing in return.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and being healthy are not one in the same.

Simply put, all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit.

Eating/being healthy is a whole different story. It's best to stay away from the "whites" and processed foods and sugars, but most of us can't do that 100% of the time. Eat the healthiest you can and exercise regularly and you'll become healthier.

It's not always about the # on the scale, well for some of us:noway:
  • countjackula
    Options

Eating/being healthy is a whole different story. It's best to stay away from the "whites" and processed foods and sugars, but most of us can't do that 100% of the time. Eat the healthiest you can and exercise regularly and you'll become healthier.

I would wager that is true for most of us. We all say we want to "lose weight" or "gain weight" but what we REALLY mean is we want to lose FAT or gain MUSCLE.
  • Pisc2749
    Pisc2749 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Thank you!!! I'm SO sick of hearing about what I need to cut out of my diet. It's not practical - what you do to lose weight should be sustainable for the rest of your life! It's a lifestyle change, not a diet! Calories in vs. calories out. Period.

A perfect example is the guy who lost 27 lbs. eating 90% junk! Twinkies, snack cakes, etc. BUT he lowered his overall caloric intake. It was a great experiment (not that anyone should be encouraged to try it) but it goes to show you that it IS about lowering calories and not what the calories are comprised of.
  • countjackula
    Options
    Thank you!!! I'm SO sick of hearing about what I need to cut out of my diet. It's not practical - what you do to lose weight should be sustainable for the rest of your life! It's a lifestyle change, not a diet! Calories in vs. calories out. Period.

A perfect example is the guy who lost 27 lbs. eating 90% junk! Twinkies, snack cakes, etc. BUT he lowered his overall caloric intake. It was a great experiment (not that anyone should be encouraged to try it) but it goes to show you that it IS about lowering calories and not what the calories are comprised of.

The guy who lost 27 lbs eating 90% junk proved that you can lose WEIGHT but didn't prove that you can lose FAT. The experiment itself was meaningless other than as a novelty... we already know that lowering calorie intake will cause you to lose fat. Simplest proof? Stop eating. You will drop a ton of weight but you will also be sickly and look and feel horrible. Is that what we're after?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Stay away from white bread, white pasta and white rice. All they do is turn to sugar and then turn into fat in your body.

Although I wholeheartedly agree that a diet free of processed foods (including refined carbs) is healthiest for our bodies, I do not for a minute believe that white bread/pasta/etc. is simply stored as fat in our bodies. The fact is, our bodies break these foods down and either use them as fuel or store them if we are in a calorie excess - the same thing it does with ALL food that we eat. Weight loss comes down to creating a calorie deficit - I could do that by eating hot dogs and M&Ms if I wanted, though it certainly wouldn't be a *healthy* diet.

We all have to figure out what works best for us - I'm interested in eating a primarily clean diet with very few processed carbs, added sugars, etc., but many people don't want to go that extreme - and they can still be healthy, too.

To the OP - your intentions were good, but you'll find that strict absolutes like this don't typically go over well on this site. Many people are struggling to figure out what works for them, and telling them that they HAVE to do X, Y and Z isn't necessarily the best way to support them. Most people make progress by taking baby steps, and doing what they can with the energy and resources they have, and gradually making improvements to their diet and exercise habits.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options

I would wager that is true for most of us. We all say we want to "lose weight" or "gain weight" but what we REALLY mean is we want to lose FAT or gain MUSCLE.

You're kidding?! I've been on MFP for just under a year now and I can tell you that most users here want to see a lower number on the scale, it's not about the fat loss/muscle gain at all. You appear to be here to gain muscle, but I can assure you that's not a thought that crosses most people's minds here. People think about muscle definition as they get closer to or reach their goal, but the main goal is the number on the scale now what their body fat% is.

I'm not advocating eating junk, at all. 90% of my eating is good, but I like sweets...I work out pretty hard as well. It's a good balance for me, but I don't advocate stressing out about every.little.thing that crosses your lips.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    :I would wager that is true for most of us. We all say we want to "lose weight" or "gain weight" but what we REALLY mean is we want to lose FAT or gain MUSCLE.

For me this rings true:drinker:
  • countjackula
    Options
    You're kidding?! I've been on MFP for just under a year now and I can tell you that most users here want to see a lower number on the scale, it's not about the fat loss/muscle gain at all. You appear to be here to gain muscle, but I can assure you that's not a thought that crosses most people's minds here. People think about muscle definition as they get closer to or reach their goal, but the main goal is the number on the scale now what their body fat% is.

I'm not advocating eating junk, at all. 90% of my eating is good, but I like sweets...I work out pretty hard as well. It's a good balance for me, but I don't advocate stressing out about every.little.thing that crosses your lips.

Why would I be kidding?

1. Yes, I realize that most members (as well as most people in the general population) are focused on the number on the scale. It makes things simpler and, as you mentioned, that makes it easier to do and stick with. Just because people SAY they want to lose "weight" (and don't distinguish between losing fat/muscle) doesn't mean that is what their actual goal is.

- Losing 20 lbs of fat = clothes fitting better, looking better in the mirror, health being better.
    - Losing 20 lbs of weight (fat + muscle = clothes fitting slightly better, looking slightly better in the mirror, health being slightly better
    - Losing 20 lbs of muscle = minimal changes in clothes or appearance, health being worse.

In fact, the lack of a distinction seems to contribute to a lot of misinformation... such as dangerously undereating to drop the "number on the scale". That is an entirely different discussion, however, and I don't want to come off sounding preachier than I already am but I'd be happy to discuss this via private messages.

2. I have no problems with indulging in sweets from time to time. And I would never demand or expect someone to cut ALL sugars or processed foods out of their lives -- at some point the cons outweigh the pros. At the same time, OP's advice is solid: if you're serious about losing weight, then sugars and empty carbs (i.e., alcohol) are counterproductive to your goals.

3. To suggest that calories in vs. calories out is all that matters... and pointing out to a person who lost weight on an all-donut diet as an example of such is misleading; it's not a suggestion that should even be considered. I also recognize that there are different degrees of managing a diet:

- The "big picture": calories in vs. calories out
    - The "slightly less big picture": strength training and cardio
    - The "smaller picture: macro breakdown (carbs/fats/proteins)
    - The "even smaller picture": timing of meals

And yes, I agree that if you're missing the big picture then the rest don't matter.

This is getting far too long-winded. So /end for me. Feel free to message me if you want to vent or rant or talk about how stupid you think I am. :wink:
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options

I guess that all depends on who is in your circle of MFP friends though! The ppl i have on my friends list are, by and large, VERY much interested in althletic performance gains, whether that means walking further/faster, starting running, doing a half-marathon, getting a 5k personal best, doing more push-ups, etc... Yes, most of them are still trying to lose weight but they are doing it in conjunction with becoming more fit overall. .... So i guess what i am saying is: it depends on who you ask! Looking to lose weight/lose fat and looking to gain muscle/gain performance :)
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Stay away from white bread, white pasta and white rice. All they do is turn to sugar and then turn into fat in your body.

Although I wholeheartedly agree that a diet free of processed foods (including refined carbs) is healthiest for our bodies, I do not for a minute believe that white bread/pasta/etc. is simply stored as fat in our bodies. The fact is, our bodies break these foods down and either use them as fuel or store them if we are in a calorie excess - the same thing it does with ALL food that we eat. Weight loss comes down to creating a calorie deficit - I could do that by eating hot dogs and M&Ms if I wanted, though it certainly wouldn't be a *healthy* diet.

We all have to figure out what works best for us - I'm interested in eating a primarily clean diet with very few processed carbs, added sugars, etc., but many people don't want to go that extreme - and they can still be healthy, too.

To the OP - your intentions were good, but you'll find that strict absolutes like this don't typically go over well on this site. Many people are struggling to figure out what works for them, and telling them that they HAVE to do X, Y and Z isn't necessarily the best way to support them. Most people make progress by taking baby steps, and doing what they can with the energy and resources they have, and gradually making improvements to their diet and exercise habits.
    Dang. I was going say basically what you said, but you put it much nicer than I would have.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    wow... this is some discussion. don't have too much to add except my two cents:

cent #1: i agree that going against carbs, sugar, alcohol, etc is way too extreme and is about impossible. (for me that is) :drinker:

cent #2: aren't athletes encouraged to eat pasta (carbs) because of how much fuel they are using up? look at michael phelps! :laugh:

my goal here is to lose a few pounds, BUT most importantly to be healthier and get stronger and gain muscle.
    i will take my vino, because it helps aide in heart health - not everything is so evil.

good luck everyone :happy: