If you're serious about losing weight, read on.

Options
2»

Replies

• melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    wow..... Thanks everyone for the info.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Sugar does not equal fat. I'm so sick of hearing this media hyped, anti-carb, anti-sugar BS. Yes, anything you eat in excess can be stored as fat (dietary fat and protein too!), but carbs aren't likely to if you are working out. All carbohydrates with the sole exception of fiber are broken down to glucose or converted to glucose to be used by the body. It doesn't matter if it is a spoonful of table sugar or HFCS or a piece of whole grain bread or oatmeal or any other "healthy" carb. The difference is that the whole grains contain more fiber, vitamins, and minerals and take longer to break down. But they are still eventually broken down to glucose. That glucose is REQUIRED for energy production during exercise. If you are lifting weights, going very intense with your workouts, or even if you are doing long duration cardio, you have to have glucose breakdown in order to produce ATP. Yes, even low intensity, long duration cardio known as the aerobic system that burns primarily fat, has to have glucose broken down to produce pyruvate to start the Krebs Cycle. So, glucose or glycogen is an absolute necessity in the body in order to exercise, produce red blood cells, and fuel the brain. Guess what? If you don't eat enough carbs, protein can be converted to glucose too! The main problem with that is that then you don't have enough protein to build and repair muscle because you're using it all for fuel.

If you aren't actively using glucose at the time it is ingested, it is converted to glycogen and stored in the muscles with water, if there is space available in the muscles and there is a perceived need for it. When you workout and burn it and then consume more carbs, the body naturally produces insulin to take glucose out of the blood and put in the muscles. (This is part of what produces that muscle pump that bodybuilders love. BTW) The more you workout and the more intense you workout, the more glycogen the body needs, so therefore the more of it is stored in the muscles and liver. This is a benefit because anything that isn't used by the body as fuel is stored for fuel later. If you are using those muscles and need the glycogen to fuel your activities, then it will store it as glycogen instead of fat.

So the take home message is to workout, eat a mix of all food groups to fuel the body, quit stressing (because that promotes fat storage and muscle break down), and stop propagating misinformed media BS.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot alcohol! It's not a carb!!!!! Carbs are 4 calories per gram and alcohol is 7 calories per gram. It is broken down differently in the body then carbs. it is not used for anything productive metabolically. However, there are compounds in red wine that have been shown to be heart healthy. Those same compounds can be found in red grapes, so I'd recommend eating the grapes and getting that fruit sugar to help fuel the body while you're getting your polyphenols. :wink:
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    A Better thread wouldve been "if you're serious about getting healthy," b/c the type of calories u eat (as plenty of ppl have mentioned) has nothing to do with the amy of weight you lose. I can lose more weight on a diet of chocolate and soda than someone eAting spinach and fish, as long as I control my caloric intake. That being said, of course I would need nutrients from my food too. A couple of comments on ur post (which had excellent points): there is no chemical distinction between sucrose (table sugar) and fructose(fruit sugar). Both r hydrolyzed into glucose, the only carb we can directly use. Fruit is beneficial for providing readily absorbable vitamins and minerals, not for its "good sugar." Fruit juice is an excellent source of essentials for people who don't like fruit. 5oz of no sugar added OJ is a great way to start ur nutritional day.

On refined grains versus whole grains, again there is no difference. Whole wheat bread has more fiber and natural vitamin b but white bread, more often than not is reinforced with the same things. All bread, all grains for that matter, are calorically composed of a mixture of fats and starch (no distinction b/t refined and whole). Starch is starch. Starch, like all coMplex sugars, is eventually broken into glucose which as u pointed out, is in excess stored as fat. doesn't matter if it came from a jolly rancher or a piece of whole wheat multigrain bread.

I
    What we can learn from these long boring bio facts is that you can eAt whatever you want as long as you control portions. Chances r that stuffing urself with lean chicken and salad isn't going to stop that snicker bar craving. You'll probably have dinner, eat a bunch of healthier snacks to halt the craving, eat the snickers nyway, and then start an all out binge cuz u broke ur diet anyway. Might as well eat the snickers bar to start with , nutritionally empty as it is. That just reminded me: remember carve (yes simple sugars too) are nutrients and are absolutely necessary for bodily functions.

But forget all this science. the easiest rule of dieting: if it tastes good, spit it out.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Chances r that stuffing urself with lean chicken and salad isn't going to stop that snicker bar craving. You'll probably have dinner, eat a bunch of healthier snacks to halt the craving, eat the snickers nyway, and then start an all out binge cuz u broke ur diet anyway. Might as well eat the snickers bar to start with , nutritionally empty as it is.
    But forget all this science. the easiest rule of dieting: if it tastes good, spit it out.

It's unfortunate if you really think this way - maybe you were just being sarcastic? I've found that the more healthy I eat, the LESS I crave sugary, refined treats. The less salt/sugar/processed stuff I eat, the more I realize I enjoy the REAL taste of foods. I LOVE my salad and lean protein for lunch or dinner. If I get enough protein and healthy fats during the day, I'm usually not craving anything and not feeling overly hungry. I think I'll pass on the nutritionally empty Snickers and save those calories for delicious, healthy foods. A healthy diet does not have to be a tasteless, bland or boring diet, and a healthy diet does NOT have to mean you feel deprived. I allow myself an occasional treat, but I've also tried to start finding healthier foods that seem "treat"-like to me. I feel way better after eating a home-made smoothie than I do after eating a candy bar or something like that.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    You're kidding?! I've been on MFP for just under a year now and I can tell you that most users here want to see a lower number on the scale, it's not about the fat loss/muscle gain at all. You appear to be here to gain muscle, but I can assure you that's not a thought that crosses most people's minds here. People think about muscle definition as they get closer to or reach their goal, but the main goal is the number on the scale now what their body fat% is.

I'm not advocating eating junk, at all. 90% of my eating is good, but I like sweets...I work out pretty hard as well. It's a good balance for me, but I don't advocate stressing out about every.little.thing that crosses your lips.

Why would I be kidding?

1. Yes, I realize that most members (as well as most people in the general population) are focused on the number on the scale. It makes things simpler and, as you mentioned, that makes it easier to do and stick with. Just because people SAY they want to lose "weight" (and don't distinguish between losing fat/muscle) doesn't mean that is what their actual goal is.

- Losing 20 lbs of fat = clothes fitting better, looking better in the mirror, health being better.
    - Losing 20 lbs of weight (fat + muscle = clothes fitting slightly better, looking slightly better in the mirror, health being slightly better
    - Losing 20 lbs of muscle = minimal changes in clothes or appearance, health being worse.

In fact, the lack of a distinction seems to contribute to a lot of misinformation... such as dangerously undereating to drop the "number on the scale". That is an entirely different discussion, however, and I don't want to come off sounding preachier than I already am but I'd be happy to discuss this via private messages.

2. I have no problems with indulging in sweets from time to time. And I would never demand or expect someone to cut ALL sugars or processed foods out of their lives -- at some point the cons outweigh the pros. At the same time, OP's advice is solid: if you're serious about losing weight, then sugars and empty carbs (i.e., alcohol) are counterproductive to your goals.

3. To suggest that calories in vs. calories out is all that matters... and pointing out to a person who lost weight on an all-donut diet as an example of such is misleading; it's not a suggestion that should even be considered. I also recognize that there are different degrees of managing a diet:

- The "big picture": calories in vs. calories out
    - The "slightly less big picture": strength training and cardio
    - The "smaller picture: macro breakdown (carbs/fats/proteins)
    - The "even smaller picture": timing of meals

And yes, I agree that if you're missing the big picture then the rest don't matter.

This is getting far too long-winded. So /end for me. Feel free to message me if you want to vent or rant or talk about how stupid you think I am. :wink:
    I like the way you think & put things in perspective!:drinker:
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sugar does not equal fat. I'm so sick of hearing this media hyped, anti-carb, anti-sugar BS. Yes, anything you eat in excess can be stored as fat (dietary fat and protein too!), but carbs aren't likely to if you are working out. All carbohydrates with the sole exception of fiber are broken down to glucose or converted to glucose to be used by the body. It doesn't matter if it is a spoonful of table sugar or HFCS or a piece of whole grain bread or oatmeal or any other "healthy" carb. The difference is that the whole grains contain more fiber, vitamins, and minerals and take longer to break down. But they are still eventually broken down to glucose. That glucose is REQUIRED for energy production during exercise. If you are lifting weights, going very intense with your workouts, or even if you are doing long duration cardio, you have to have glucose breakdown in order to produce ATP. Yes, even low intensity, long duration cardio known as the aerobic system that burns primarily fat, has to have glucose broken down to produce pyruvate to start the Krebs Cycle. So, glucose or glycogen is an absolute necessity in the body in order to exercise, produce red blood cells, and fuel the brain. Guess what? If you don't eat enough carbs, protein can be converted to glucose too! The main problem with that is that then you don't have enough protein to build and repair muscle because you're using it all for fuel.

If you aren't actively using glucose at the time it is ingested, it is converted to glycogen and stored in the muscles with water, if there is space available in the muscles and there is a perceived need for it. When you workout and burn it and then consume more carbs, the body naturally produces insulin to take glucose out of the blood and put in the muscles. (This is part of what produces that muscle pump that bodybuilders love. BTW) The more you workout and the more intense you workout, the more glycogen the body needs, so therefore the more of it is stored in the muscles and liver. This is a benefit because anything that isn't used by the body as fuel is stored for fuel later. If you are using those muscles and need the glycogen to fuel your activities, then it will store it as glycogen instead of fat.

So the take home message is to workout, eat a mix of all food groups to fuel the body, quit stressing (because that promotes fat storage and muscle break down), and stop propagating misinformed media BS.

Science!

Cellular biology is amazing, and I love this post. You addressed all the issues I have when people start expounding on the evils of carbs. Cells need sugars to function, and the body breaks pretty much everything down into simple sugars because that's what can be easily delivered across the cell membrane. Moderation, portion control, and nutrients ratios are what it's about. Not cutting out whole food groups.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Stop consuming refined carbohydrates. Stay away from white bread, white pasta and white rice. All they do is turn to sugar and then turn into fat in your body. Stay away from juices. If you want to drink juices, juice your own otherwise don't bother. They're comprised of mostly sugar. Stay away from alcohol, again sugar. Stay away from creamy sauces and dressings as they're very high in fats and especially saturated fats.

Read and understand labels and ingredients. Anything ending in ose is a sugar. Glucose, fructose, dextrose, et cetera. Syrups, malts and honey are also sugar substitutes. The further down the list sugar or sugar substitutes are listed in the ingredients the better. Try to avoid processed foods but if you must eat them then be sure to check, the sodium content, sugar content and fat content, look for those that are low in all of them.

Sugar = Fat.
    Refined carbohydrates = Sugar = Fat

Get the picture?

If anyone has anything to add, please do.

The only exception to the sugar rule is real fruits. Those are good sugars. Consume those fresh or frozen(unsweetened only).

Misinformation is bad I know the OP meant well but lets be careful about oversimplifying.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose

Fructose=Fruit Sugar

All those "ose" arent bad. Especially in their natural forms Fructose and Glucose are two forms that occur naturally in many foods you eat. Whole natural unprocessed foods.

Fructose IS NOT High fructose Corn Syrup.... Corn syrup contains fructose but don't confuse the two.

Additionally there really is nothing wrong with corn syrup in limited quantities. Remember its actually derived from corn. Processed foods aren't bad because they are processed. They are bad because they strip out all the other stuff thats good for you.

Do you stop eating corn because it contains the chemicals and substances that make corn syrup?
  • BoresEasily
    Options

Thank you Tonya for another highly enlightened post.

I never said to cut out all sugars or carbs. I said to cut out refined carbs and sugars. I would never advocating cutting out carbs or sugars entirely. Unless you're an endurance athlete you don't need to be carb loading or drinking sports drinks to refill your electrolytes, at least that's how I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    Options
    Reread my post. I'm not talking about carb loading. I'm talking about any exercise needing carbs. Even average, everyday workouts can increase glycogen storage. Yes, endurance athletes store much more glycogen then the average person, but so do bodybuilders. The key to extra glycogen storage instead of fat storage is any exercise.

As for the complex versus simple sugars, it depends on what you are doing. The only difference in supplying sugar to the body is when that sugar will be available to use. If you are on your way to the gym, that's not the best time for complex carbohydrates as they will take a little while to break down and won't be available to use during that exercise session. Simple sugars are more beneficial for that workout. Caffeine is also an ergogenic aid in exercise, so I will often have a Pepsi before an intense workout. The caffeine helps open the airways and stimulates the nervous systems to increase the metabolic processes and the sugar (yes, even HFCS) provides the added energy to help me get a longer high intensity burst of exercise, so I have a much better workout then if I had something else. If I have a protein shake, for example, I will be sucking wind in the gym and then possibly puke from it taking longer to digest and not leaving the stomach. After exercise, though, complex carbs and protein and even healthy fats are much better because they will break down slower and then be used to replace lost glycogen and repair and rebuild muscles. It is a lot more complex then the "calories in vs. calories out" or "eat this and not that" theories. In reality, it is a mix of all food groups working with your exercise routine to get the most out of your body, even for the average boy or girl next door.
  • amberpaigee
    Options
    Love the tips!

I have one to add:

- Read the labels of everything you eat, if you don't know what an ingredient is...don't eat it!

:flowerforyou:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    btchfight.gif