Left-over Canned Pumpkin--what to do???

Options
Behavior_Modification
Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
Help me out my friends. I opened a larger can of pumpkin to make something that only called for 1/2 cup of it and now I've got a whole bunch of left-over canned pumpkin. What healthy things can I use it for? I'm trying to stay away from making muffins, bread, cookies, stuff like that. What have you made with pumpkin?

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Mix it in a smoothie!
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Make soup! I got this recipe from someone else here, though I haven't tried it yet myself.

Heart Healthy Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup

Ingredients:
    1- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    4 cups canned or fresh low-sodium Swanson's 98% fat free chicken stock
    1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
    1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
    2 cans (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
    1/2 cup light cream
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    coarse salt
    fresh chives for garnish

How to make it:
    Heat soup pot over medium heat. Add oil.
    When oil is hot, add onion.
    Saute onions 5 minutes.
    Add broth, tomatoes, black beans and pumpkin puree.
    Stir to combine ingredients and bring soup to a boil.
    Reduce heat to medium low and stir in cream, curry, cumin, cayenne and salt, to taste.
    Simmer 5 minutes, adjust seasonings and serve garnished with chives.

Nutrition info could be different based on your specific brands used for above ingredients.
    Serves: 6
    Cals: 199
    Carbs: 27
    Fat: 8
    Protein: 9
    Fiber: 10
    Sodium: 757 (without added salt to taste)
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    feed it to your dogs if you have any, it is supposed to be really good for them!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Yes, smoothies are a great idea. In fact, I have done that before. I like making a banana/carrot/pumpkin smoothie with cinnamon added. Very tasty.

Soup, huh? Never would have thought of that. Has anyone else actually made soup with it? How is the consistency?
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    feed it to your dogs if you have any, it is supposed to be really good for them!

Nope, just cats.
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Check out the hungry girl website there are tons of recipes that have pumpkin in it
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It's also really yummy mixed into sugar-free pudding mix and some fat-free cool whip. There's a recipe somewhere on this site, but it's from a few years ago. :smile:
  • AngieCRRT
    Options
    chocolate muffin

.25 cup pumpkin puree (25 cal)
    1 egg (or 2 egg whites+1 tsp oil) (70 cal)
    2 tb cocoa powder (50 cal)
    sweetener (i use1-2 tb sugar) (45 cal)

microwave for 2-2.5 minutes OMG i have a high micro so i do 2 min and its texture is very moist not dry...
    this is modified from chocolate covered katies recipe...
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    It's also really yummy mixed into sugar-free pudding mix and some fat-free cool whip. There's a recipe somewhere on this site, but it's from a few years ago. :smile:

Yes! I did buy some butterscotch pudding for it yesterday.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    chocolate muffin

microwave for 2-2.5 minutes OMG i have a high micro so i do 2 min and its texture is very moist not dry...

Mmmmmmm.....now that sounds awesome!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I made Pancake Batter and mashed in the leftover Sweet potatoes. Then reduced down the cranberries for the syrup.

I didn't have any, but my wife and sister-in-law said it was great. Bet you could do the same thing with leftover pumpkin.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Bisque is HEAVENLY... very creamy (ok yeah it's got heavy cream in it, but I'm sure there are healthy versions out there!).

If you like oatmeal you can mix some into the cooked oats (along with some cinnamon/nutmeg).

Add it in your smoothies.

Mix it in plain yogurt (stolen from Fae :laugh: ).

And believe it or not... I actually have a pumpkin chili recipe... and yes I've tried it and DH even liked it! :noway: (I will see if I can find it online, otherwise I will dig it out tonight at home).
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    I made Pancake Batter and mashed in the leftover Sweet potatoes. Then reduced down the cranberries for the syrup.

I didn't have any, but my wife and sister-in-law said it was great. Bet you could do the same thing with leftover pumpkin.

Great idea!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    chocolate muffin

This sounds SO good! My cocoa powder, though, (Nestle' Special Dark cocoa powder) is 10 calories a Tbs. It is really good, too. You should try it!
  • OneFitLady
    OneFitLady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a spice cake box mix and a bag of chocolate chips.

Preheat your oven to 350°. Mix your left over pumpkin with the dry cake mix, when the dough is moist, add in the chocolate chips. Spoon the dough onto a greased cookie sheet (or a stone) and place in the hot oven for 10-12 minutes. The cookies come out super soft, so carefuly place them on a cooling rack. Enjoy!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Pumpkin Bisque is HEAVENLY... very creamy (ok yeah it's got heavy cream in it, but I'm sure there are healthy versions out there!).

If you like oatmeal you can mix some into the cooked oats (along with some cinnamon/nutmeg).

Add it in your smoothies.

Mix it in plain yogurt (stolen from Fae :laugh: ).

And believe it or not... I actually have a pumpkin chili recipe... and yes I've tried it and DH even liked it! :noway: (I will see if I can find it online, otherwise I will dig it out tonight at home).

I like the oatmeal idea, I had forgotten about that. Weren't we laughing about oatmeal pot w/ ZH a few months ago?

Pumpkin chili? Hmmm... I sure do love love love chili, so that might work for me. Would love to see the recipe.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Buy yourself a spice cake box mix and a bag of chocolate chips.

Preheat your oven to 350°. Mix your left over pumpkin with the dry cake mix, when the dough is moist, add in the chocolate chips. Spoon the dough onto a greased cookie sheet (or a stone) and place in the hot oven for 10-12 minutes. The cookies come out super soft, so carefuly place them on a cooling rack. Enjoy!

This sounds like a delicious dessert, but I'd end up eating all of them and then I'd probably wish I'd just thrown the rest of the pumpkin out because it would have saved me so many empty calories.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    ROASTED PUMPKIN BISQUE

Servings: 10

1 medium or large onion, quartered
    1 leek, white part only, cut in chunks
    6 cloves garlic, peeled
    2 - 3 tablespoons of olive oil
    7 cups chicken stock (low sodium!)
    1 (16-oz) can pumpkin puree (NOT pie mix)
    1 tablespoon chicken base, (not bouillon)
    1 1/4 cups heavy cream
    Pepper & Salt to taste (plenty of salt in the stock and base, use caution here)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Toss onions, leeks and garlic with oil in a bowl, then spread in a shallow roasting pan. Roast in the oven 45 to 60 minutes, until fragrant and browned. Puree in blender.

Bring stock, pumpkin, pureed vegetables and chicken base to boil. Simmer 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

In separate pan, warm heavy cream, but do not boil. Remove soup from heat, and stir in heavy cream.

Note: If cooking with chicken base, read the label and use one that doesn't have salt as its first ingredient. Bouillon cubes are too salty to substitute.

*** I have seen several recipes that replace the heavy cream with 1 12oz can of fat free evaporated milk ***
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options

Pumpkin is full of nutrients that are excellent for any pets and also acts as a terrific (and CHEAP) wormer. I second the pets idea :)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Thanks Bran!