Left-over Canned Pumpkin--what to do???

Options

Replies

• immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Thanks Bran!

I'll find the pumpkin chili recipe tonight. There seem to be a TON of them online, but I've actually tried the one I have. :laugh:
  • immacookie
    Options
    feed it to your dogs if you have any, it is supposed to be really good for them!

Pumpkin is full of nutrients that are excellent for any pets and also acts as a terrific (and CHEAP) wormer. I second the pets idea :)

It's a good "trots" remedy for dogs also.... never had success getting cats to eat it, no matter what I mix it in.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    It's also really yummy mixed into sugar-free pudding mix and some fat-free cool whip. There's a recipe somewhere on this site, but it's from a few years ago. :smile:

Yes! I did buy some butterscotch pudding for it yesterday.

Update: I mixed 1/2 cup of the canned pumpkin with a butterscotch pudding snack pack and some cinnamon for a mid morning snack and it is deeeeeelicious!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Hello my friend Diane. Please take this in the spirit in which it is intended. In love and gentle suggestion.

Any time you try to fool the body by using sugar free-but-still-sweet things like cool whip and pudding, you are sabatoging your success.

We know that sugar is bad. But if you don't train yourself to not crave that sweet flavor, then you will always be a slave to sugar. The fake sugars are bad, too. It is so much easier to just stop with the artificially sweetened items. Stick with whole foods, unsweetened and unsalted.

:heart:
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    feed it to your dogs if you have any, it is supposed to be really good for them!

My dog LOVES it!!!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pancakes are great! I've tried this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Pancakes/Detail.aspx

I've also heard of people stirring it into their oatmeal, though I haven't tried that one.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    Hello my friend Diane. Please take this in the spirit in which it is intended. In love and gentle suggestion.

Any time you try to fool the body by using sugar free-but-still-sweet things like cool whip and pudding, you are sabatoging your success.

We know that sugar is bad. But if you don't train yourself to not crave that sweet flavor, then you will always be a slave to sugar. The fake sugars are bad, too. It is so much easier to just stop with the artificially sweetened items. Stick with whole foods, unsweetened and unsalted.

:heart:

I know you mean well, thank you for the reminder. On a side note, my pudding was not sugar free. 60 cals for the sugar free and 3g of fat (and in my opinion, tastes just okay) and 110 for the real deal, same amt of fat and tastes super yummy. Yes the sugar content is much different, but either way it is bad for me. So with that said I chose the tastier of the 2 evils. I know my pudding is not a healthy food item. But I hear you, I know what you're saying about the sugar/sugar subs. I do know, but I also know doing and knowing are so very different and I need to turn my education into action. However, I am happy to report that my processed food intake is extremely much less than it was a year ago and for that I feel successful. It gets better and better every month I think. I learn new recipes and substitutions that allow me to get away from the processed "junk". I have also severely decreased my sugar sub intake as well over the last year. This has been mostly from eliminating things from my diet that I don't feel the need for, like soda. Maybe that was a little long-winded for a simple "thanks for the reminder", but now you know where I'm at in that regards. I have tried to eliminate sugar completely, but that is not realistic for me. Plus I turn into a monster. Maybe in time I can re-evaluate that aspect, but for now I can't go to that extreme. I have found that when I try to go cold turkey it makes the cravings worse. I went cold turkey for 2 months once and it was horrible.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me in 2008. Kicking and screaming all the way. :laugh:
  • smoothsue
    Options
    :heart: Hi! Please Check out Hungry Girl site for Crustless Pumpkin Pie. It is gooooooooooood! My dogs (3) don't like pumpkin or carrots.
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You have some yummy looking ideas here Diane! Re your last post on this thread. Just remember that the best way to get to your final goal is with baby steps. You are doing great!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Love pumpkin!

I regularly add it to my cooked oatmeal (1/3 cup to 1 serving of oatmeal) with spices, plain yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup. Adding 2 tbsp of chopped walnuts can be a nice treat as well :smile:

I also add it to chili... 1cup prepared homemade chili + 1/2cup pumpkin puree and 1/2cup spinach. Super filling, very healthy and really delicious. Loaded with nutrients and good stuff to fuel your body! :happy:

Enjoy the pumpkin! Such a nice autumn treat!
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Gonna have to try some of these. I have several cans that I didn't use either.
  • immacookie
    Options
    I didn't have a chance to dig out my pumpkin chili recipe last night... but I promise either tonight or tomorrow!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    You can also mix pumpkin with apple juice and cinnamon for pumpkin juice a la Harry Potter style. My roommate made some when the new movie came out and it wasn't half bad. It was sweet without being overwhelmingly sweet--fruity and spicy too. But it had a tendency to separate and needed stirring.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    I didn't have a chance to dig out my pumpkin chili recipe last night... but I promise either tonight or tomorrow!!! :flowerforyou:

No rush.
  • jessmo803
    Options
    I found this Pumpkin Chili recipe in a Hungry Girl cookbook.

Chunky Veggie Pumpkin Chili
    Our friend canned pumpkin is at it again, adding fun, fiber, and flavor to this incredible chili. The taste is mellow but can easily be spiced up with extra cayenne or some hot sauce.

Ingredients
    (Makes 11 Servings)
    One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
    One 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
    2 teaspoons chopped garlic
    ½ tablespoon cayenne pepper, or
    more to taste
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    ¼ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
    One 15-ounce can chili beans (pinto beans
    in chili sauce), not drained
    One 15-ounce can black beans, drained
    and rinsed
    ½ cup canned diced green chiles
    2 cups chopped portabella mushrooms
    1½ cups chopped zucchini
    1½ cups chopped onion

Directions
    Add crushed tomatoes, pumpkin, garlic, and all the seasonings to the crock pot. Mix well.

Add diced tomatoes, both types of beans, diced green chiles, and all the veggies.
    Stir thoroughly. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I had to open a can of pumpkin for some cookies and ended up only using half a cup as well, so I just threw it into a yogurt container and into the freezer....but seeing all these recipes, i might just dig it out again!!
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    bump
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    if you don't want to eat Dr Oz used it as a face mask the other day but I really like this recipe and I found it on the Boards here from ShellyK

1 - 29 oz Can Libby's Pure Pumpkin
    2 - small boxes of Jello Instant Sugar Free Fat Free Cheesecake Flavor Pudding
    1 to 1 1/2 T. Pumpkin Pie Spice (or to taste)
    1 - 8 oz Fat Free Cool Whip
    1 - Keebler Reduced Fat Graham Cracker Crust

Mix everything well and put in graham cracker crust. Refrigerate.
    Serves 8

213 Calories
    4 g Fat
    (Regular Pumpkin Pie has 320 Cal and 17 g fat)
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes, smoothies are a great idea. In fact, I have done that before. I like making a banana/carrot/pumpkin smoothie with cinnamon added. Very tasty.

Soup, huh? Never would have thought of that. Has anyone else actually made soup with it? How is the consistency?

Pumpkin soup is a great winter dish which loves being sprinkled with pepper - it will be the consistency of thick tomato soup.