Can someone please explain this to me?

Options
Totals 1002 147 29 57 747 62
Daily Goal 1650 227 55 62 2300 62
Remaining 648 80 26 5 1553 0
Calories Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar

So, the above is what my chart reads after inputting what I have had so far today (evening meal added early to guide myself).

As you can see, my sugar allowance is now at 0 - if I go over this how will it affect my progress? I feel like it's impossible to not go over it.

Also, my protein is down to 5 - what affect would it have if I had the remaining and more?

Any light shed on this would be amazing!

xx

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    The most important thing out of all of that is calories. You need to make sure you are getting enough calories to not inhibit your weight loss. Going over on sugar won't destroy your progress. Going over on protein definitely won't hurt anything. A lot of people aim for higher protein amounts. I try to get at least 100g a day myself.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic, don't worry about sugar, especially if it's coming more from fruits than other items.

Going over on your macros is fine as long as you're still in a calorie deficit. In fact, most people tend to think of their fat/protein goals as minimums to hit.
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of this journey I would first worry about the calories. Nothing horrible will happen if you are a little under or over the macronutrients. Later, you may want to worry more about those things, but even then it is mainly preference, or for satiety, or maintaining muscle, not life or death.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I only focused on total calories when I was losing weight. I didn't concern myself too much about the other stats. I regularly exceeded my daily allowance for fat, sugar, sodium and I still lost weight at a regular pace.
  • Dying2Live84
    Dying2Live84 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    OK, so as long as I am sticking within my calories and my sugar intake is from healthy foods, I'm good to go?!

Thanks so much :)
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    MFP tends to really under allow sugar. I don't even track it anymore. Protein isn't a bad thing to go over on, just keep your calories, carbs, and fats in check. Based on what you've written for today, you do need to eat more calories. I don't know if you're planning on having something else and just haven't logged it, but 1000 calories a day will be awesome for weight loss until you try eating more and gain everything back (personal experience lol).
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    OK, so as long as I am sticking within my calories and my sugar intake is from healthy foods, I'm good to go?!

On the surface, yes! Look at your fat and protein goals as a minimum: there's no reason to worry about going over them (Unless your fats are saturated)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a hot button issue around here, but in my opinion (and said opinion formed on scientific studies), going over on sugar will not prevent weight loss unless that overage contributes to an overall calorie surplus. Many people chose to ignore the sugar tracking since good things like fruits, grains, and veggies all have sugar. I chose to track fiber over sugar. There will be some who proclaim that sugar is the devil and eating it will make you obese. I am not obese and eat sugar regularly in both whole foods and processed goodies, but keep things in moderation. Sugar is a carb so you just need to keep track of those.

Protein on this site is another debate, but a little less volatile as the sugar one. Protein is perfectly fine to go over and the basic MFP settings tends to be on the lower side to begin with. Many references recommend intaking .6-.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight or 1 gram per lb of lean mass. So if you weigh 150 lbs, 90 grams of protein would not be unreasonable. Protein intake helps maintain lean mass (muscle) while eating at a caloric deficit. Add in some strength training and you protect your muscle mass even more.

here is a great link that goes into things better:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Your sugar can be from apples or from cheesecake. It don't matter one bit.
  • Dying2Live84
    Options
    Sugar is a hot button issue around here, but in my opinion (and said opinion formed on scientific studies), going over on sugar will not prevent weight loss unless that overage contributes to an overall calorie surplus. Many people chose to ignore the sugar tracking since good things like fruits, grains, and veggies all have sugar. I chose to track fiber over sugar. There will be some who proclaim that sugar is the devil and eating it will make you obese. I am not obese and eat sugar regularly in both whole foods and processed goodies, but keep things in moderation. Sugar is a carb so you just need to keep track of those.

Protein on this site is another debate, but a little less volatile as the sugar one. Protein is perfectly fine to go over and the basic MFP settings tends to be on the lower side to begin with. Many references recommend intaking .6-.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight or 1 gram per lb of lean mass. So if you weigh 150 lbs, 90 grams of protein would not be unreasonable. Protein intake helps maintain lean mass (muscle) while eating at a caloric deficit. Add in some strength training and you protect your muscle mass even more.

here is a great link that goes into things better:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thank you! I will have a read x
  • Dying2Live84
    Options
    MFP tends to really under allow sugar. I don't even track it anymore. Protein isn't a bad thing to go over on, just keep your calories, carbs, and fats in check. Based on what you've written for today, you do need to eat more calories. I don't know if you're planning on having something else and just haven't logged it, but 1000 calories a day will be awesome for weight loss until you try eating more and gain everything back (personal experience lol).

Oh I haven't finished tracking just yet, which is why I had to question the sugar and protein part!

xx
  • Dying2Live84
    Options

So, basically you think fruit sugars are just as bad?

xx
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

xx

Or just as good, depending on your perspective...
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

xx

No actually I am pretty sure the point is that it equally does not matter.
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, your total calories are really the only things that matter as far as weight loss is concerned. Long-term health is another, more complicated issue - I think MFP errs on the low side for sugar because the sugar intake recommended by national health organizations seems to be getting lower and lower because of recent scientific research, but I guess we'll have to see how that pans out in the long run. I'm regularly way under on sugar and well over on fat, but that's more a result of my eating habits than any conscious decision to keep my diet low in sugar.
  • Dying2Live84
    Options
    No actually I am pretty sure the point is that it equally does not matter.

That's what I thought.

xx
  • Dying2Live84
    Options
    Like others have said, your total calories are really the only things that matter as far as weight loss is concerned. Long-term health is another, more complicated issue - I think MFP errs on the low side for sugar because the sugar intake recommended by national health organizations seems to be getting lower and lower because of recent scientific research, but I guess we'll have to see how that pans out in the long run. I'm regularly way under on sugar and well over on fat, but that's more a result of my eating habits than any conscious decision to keep my diet low in sugar.

Thanks so much for replying.

I understand this a lot more now.

xx
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

xx

Sugar is neither good nor bad. Most people don't even track it. Even diabetics (at least Type 2 like myself) are told to look at total carbohydrates only and not to single out sugars. I took sugars off of my tracking and track fiber instead because I feel it is more important to overall health.

ETA: my ideal day is a little over on protein and fat and a little under on carbs. My fiber goal is a minimum and I try to get over that.
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    FOR ME, sugar is always a problem, and I do much better when I limit my consumption to my fruit serving once a day.

OBVIOUSLY, most people do not share my concern.

My point is, if you aren't losing and are always eating at your sugar limit, whether consumed in healthy foods or not, you can tinker with your sugar intake without sacrificing nutrition.

After years and years of fooling around and staying obese, I've found that MY best results come from addressing my personal triggers and nutritional needs and moving from there.

AS ALWAYS- your results may vary!!!!!!!
  • JayCee625
    Options

I agree with this post completely.

My protein is through the roof, but my doctor said that is more than okay (especially if you're working out---protein builds muscle).
    Calories/Carbs/Fat. I do my damdest to NOT go over on carbs and fat, but if I do---I don't stop eating. I just make my meals as low in those areas as realistically possible. It's calories that ultimately, I refuse to go over on. :)

I have a lowfat cottage cheese serving in the mornings as a snack---it zips my protein count right up. Generally, I am at about 100-110 protein for the day. way more than mfp says I need. My carbs are usually under. Truthfully, if you're making your calories count, (eating healthy foods), most of those macro numbers should fall (mostly) in line anyway. A little bump here or there isn't bad.

What I'd suggest is to keep track. If you see that you are going WAY over on your sugars every day, for example---perhaps that's something to review in your usual diet. Do you splurge on a candybar as part of your daily calories? (etc) If carbs are too high, maybe replace a potato/rice/bread with some veggies or something? I use those other numbers as a guide to help ensure I'm getting a more rounded, healthful meal.

But it's the calorie deficit that will take the fat off the *kitten* :) (pardon my french) :)

Happy dieting and good luck with the healthier you :)<3