Pain while running & walking

The last few times that I've ran, after, I've gotten pain near my hips, that crease between your pelvis & quads. I think hip flexor? Well, after running, when it's hurt I've taken the next day off to rest it, I've always waited until it went away to run again. I ran last on Thursday and now today, Monday, it still hurts. It started out as just feeling sore but now it's moved into more of a pain. I tried to run yesterday, got on the treadmill and walked for 2 minutes to warm up. Within those 2 minutes it started to hurt again, so I got off and went on the elliptical where it did not hurt at all. I've been trying to stretch it but it doesn't seem to be helping. I run on the treadmill, and bought new sneakers about 2 months ago. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for me about this? All I want to do is run!! And walk pain free!

Replies

• lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    *BUMP*
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    I had hip flexor pain last year - related to my squatting, not running. I decreased activity (and actually took a total break from squats for a while) and stretched. It's a difficult area to stretch, but I found the pigeon pose helped a lot. I would probably not run again until you're pain free though - continuing to irritate the area won't help you heal.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    IT BAND! Trust me, I have a few cousins that are physical therapists and when I began to get this pain while running they told me exactly what it was. There are exercises/stretches that you can do online, the ones with the foam roller work best (but hurt like crazy)! You will have to work through it, but it really does help. Just google IT band stretches.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 567 Member
    yes - it's the hip flexor. Stretching a a foam roller can really help. Look up "pigeon pose". It is a yoga pose that helps stretch your hips. Also, if you go to runnersworld.com and search for foam roller there is a video series that shows you how to use the roller to effect different muscles.

I used to get a lot of pain in my hip flexors. They still bother me from time to time on really longs runs but I always make sure to do lots of stretching and rolling and it keeps me in my running shoes :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    IT BAND! Trust me, I have a few cousins that are physical therapists and when I began to get this pain while running they told me exactly what it was. There are exercises/stretches that you can do online, the ones with the foam roller work best (but hurt like crazy)! You will have to work through it, but it really does help. Just google IT band stretches.

The IT band typically causes problems down the outside of the thigh, and especially on the outside of the knee between the thigh and the calf.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    The last few times that I've ran, after, I've gotten pain near my hips, that crease between your pelvis & quads. I think hip flexor? Well, after running, when it's hurt I've taken the next day off to rest it, I've always waited until it went away to run again. I ran last on Thursday and now today, Monday, it still hurts. It started out as just feeling sore but now it's moved into more of a pain. I tried to run yesterday, got on the treadmill and walked for 2 minutes to warm up. Within those 2 minutes it started to hurt again, so I got off and went on the elliptical where it did not hurt at all. I've been trying to stretch it but it doesn't seem to be helping. I run on the treadmill, and bought new sneakers about 2 months ago. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for me about this? All I want to do is run!! And walk pain free!

If this is something that continues to plague you, you should seek the advice of an actual doctor or physical therapist, not the internet. Taking the wrong advice, and pushing through an actual injury could exacerbate a condition and make it longer before you can run again.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. This just started recently, which is why I haven't spoken to a doctor yet. If I can help it without going to see someone, I will do that. If it keeps at it, I would definitely go. In the meantime though I will get a foam roller and find some more concentrated stretches for that area. Hopefully it helps.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member

The IT band typically causes problems down the outside of the thigh, and especially on the outside of the knee between the thigh and the calf.

Exactly what mccindy said.

I'd rest and stretch. And see a doctor and/or physical therapist
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member

Ahhh I think I misunderstood the area that she was referring to. That being said, the IT band causes problems between the hip and knee.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    I would also suggest a physical therapist. They really can work miracles. They can look for body imbalances, and give you exercises and stretches to do at home to correct what is causing the problem.