Mcdonalds? Other fast food?

Options
Any tips on what I can eat at a fast food restaurant that will be healthy and not leave me starving?

Replies

• lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is skip fast food in general, but if you absolutely have no choice or if your friends are dead set on eating at a McDonald's, there are things you can order. Their salads aren't so bad, but if you're not a salad person a simple grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo or cheese should be fine.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    McDoubles are pretty good on protein.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest looking up the nutritional info of your local fast food places and go from there. Foods higher in protein will be more filling.

If you're doing fast food for convenience, I'd suggest trying to plan ahead and bring foods with you. I like a McD's cheeseburger now and then but it doesn't really do anything for me (leaves me hungry) so I'd rather just throw a sandwich together at home, grab a piece of fruit and bring them with. Or grab a protein bar if I'm in a huge rush.
  • stephiejean37
    stephiejean37 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Fast food really just isn't healthy. period. But if I have no choice I usually order a wrap or a salad, but make sure it's grilled chicken!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Fries and soda make it easy to blow past your macros really quickly ... I usually toss the bun as well.

Wendy's chicken sandwich is good, and their chili is pretty awesome.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I can usually get a grilled chicken breast for about 450 calories. They have a wrap that is 360 calories and a grilled chicken bacon club house for 580 when i want to behave badly. Never have a sugary drink or fries. The salads can be hit or miss and the dressing is not included so they are a bit higher than you plan for.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you can live with just one for breakfast, egg mcmuffins are 300 cals each. The sodium though....
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Chipotle salad bowls are good. Sofritas are amazing. Yep I know it's not McDonalds....but I'm hungry so I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring:laugh:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Get whatever you want at any place, just account for it in your calories and macros for the day.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    McDs - im a sucker for a big mac and fries. a quarter pounder will do nicely as well.

Wendys - i love their spicy chicken sandwich and fries. last week i had a baconator, and upgraded to a pretzel bun. best decision i've made in YEARS. also frosty.

Burger King - im not big on BK, though in a pinch, i usually hit the dollar menu pretty hard. couple whopper jrs, but now that chicken fries are back.....

Steak n Shake - I dont live in an area blessed with this wonderful franchise. combo meals for $4?! STOP IT! last time i was in FL i got a triple something....maybe 1/2 lb? i dont recall, but it was good and their fries are also quite nice.

Krystal Burger - again, not in my region, but last time i was in GA i got a 24 pack for $24. half chicken, half beef. really fun. something about mowing down 10 after a night of drinking made me feel accomplished.

Taco Bell - this is my go-to fast food. usually a 6-pack of crunchy with a ton of fire sauce. if im feeling super hungry, i'll score myself a chalupa or a crunch wrap.

Subway - i like their BLT on italian cheese bread. xtra bacon, jalepenos, pickles, pepperjack cheese, and that chipotle sauce

i need access to an in n out burger. i hear its magical.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Whatever fits into your calorie goal and overall day plan. I had a 6 inch flatbread with egg whites, american cheese and a ton of veggies from Subway for breakfast this morning. And because I biked a gazillion miles yesterday, a big, beautiful, juicy smashburger and order of haystack onions fit beautifully into my food diary. In general, I end up having subway breakfast twice a week and one other fast food meal of my choice on the weekend (like any fast food meal I want, not a salad).

I would be miserable without my fast food. Yes, it's what made me fat in the first place (going out to eat 7 days a week without calorie counting = 50 lbs weight gain in my 20s), but so long as I don't simply give in to my whims and desires to eat it EVERY SINGLE DAY OMG FRENCH FRIES I LOVE YOU I NEED YOU NOW!!!!!!!, I have been able to make is a part of my weight loss plan.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Check out the nutrition facts of the restaurant you want to go to before you get there - so you have a gameplan in mind and aren't tempted by the fries or mcnuggets.

If you want some 'healthy' ideas - checking out healthydiningfinder.com works too. You can put in your zip code and it lists the restaurants in the area that have 'healthy' options and what those options are.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Fast food really just isn't healthy. period. But if I have no choice I usually order a wrap or a salad, but make sure it's grilled chicken!

huh?

they have protein, fat, and carbs.
    all thing my body needs.

i'm not sure i understand your assessment.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I don't limit anything. I eat fast food 2-4 times a week. I'm still consistently losing, as long as it fits your calories I don't see the point in limiting yourself to anything. I personally found when I had to limit myself and couldn't enjoy food with my friends I ended failing more.

But in regards to your question look at the calorie contents before you order. More chain fast food places have all their nutritional info on the website. When I was restricting myself I hardly ever found a chain that didn't. But I would say that's the best way to go. You can also ask to them to substitute something or omit something. Given, I've only done this and had the most success at Taco Bell and Burgerville.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

huh?

they have protein, fat, and carbs.
    all thing my body needs.

i'm not sure i understand your assessment.

Exactly!!!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating fast food opposed to packing your self a lunch.. use a cooler if you need to.
  • Alex_murphyy
    Alex_murphyy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/on-the-go/healthy-fast-foods/

This link gives a break down of the healthiest options in the most common fast food joints.

Enjoy and hope this helps!
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It depends what your goals are here. I look strictly at calories in this situation and when I'm in a pinch and have to do fast food, here are the things I try to go for
    1) Subway- the healthier options
    2) Taco Bell- fresco tacos. 2 of these are 300 calories. I believe there are other things on the fresco menu. I don't think the fresco stuff is posted when you go in to taco hell anymore but I always order this and have never had an issue with them not knowing what it was etc.
    3) Wendy's chili
  • dj1skywalker
    Options
    Chipotle salad bowls are good. Sofritas are amazing. Yep I know it's not McDonalds....but I'm hungry so I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring:laugh:

^^ This made me HUNGRY!! I don't even want my tuna anymore :ohwell:
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Wendy's plain baked potato

Taco bell bean burrito fresco style