Mcdonalds? Other fast food?

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    You can get the child's meal which will include apples and a smaller portion of fries. But yeah, fast food is not only unhealthy but actually damaging. It strains your kidneys, liver and all that sugar is hard on your entire digestive system. I eat fast food sometimes, but it's so unhealthy, it's getting easier for me to just skip it.
    Not heard this about straining your kidneys, and liver before
    is that the same with nando's they do grilled chicken?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    You can get the child's meal which will include apples and a smaller portion of fries. But yeah, fast food is not only unhealthy but actually damaging. It strains your kidneys, liver and all that sugar is hard on your entire digestive system. I eat fast food sometimes, but it's so unhealthy, it's getting easier for me to just skip it.

Well....I'm a goner.

^^ I'm a Goner just on that sugar principle alone :noway: :laugh:

me three
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    If you can check out their online site before you go most of them have a meal builder that way you can see what you want and then check the calories and take off things that you really don't want that caren't worth the calories. My biggest problem with them is the sodium levels because they are usually super high BUT I don't let that stop me if I decide to eat out every once in a while, Ijust make sure it fits into my calories for the day and I don't get it all that often.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    I want someone to give me an in-depth, scientific reason as to why Big Macs are bad for me. Please use reputable sources that aren't just Google searches. Peer reviewed studies that are statistically sound would be great, but I'm not counting on anyone finding anything.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Fast food really just isn't healthy. period. But if I have no choice I usually order a wrap or a salad, but make sure it's grilled chicken!

huh?

they have protein, fat, and carbs.
    all thing my body needs.

i'm not sure i understand your assessment.
    And yet, she's not wrong.
    And exactly how is she right? What makes it unhealthy?

OP, I don't hit fast food anymore because usually for the same amount of calories I eat there I can bring a bit more food from home and have a better balance on my daily macros.

Well, by your own admission, you don't eat "fast food" either, so I guess your problem is the word "unhealthy?"

Fair enough.

Would a better term be "undesirable?" Inappropriate?

So it's not unhealthy. I just avoid it.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    I rarely eat fast food because I'm cheap and fast food has gotten very expensive. Because I eat it so rarely, I don't really worry about the health issues. I just get something that strikes me as a "treat" (although that often ends up being something that is fish - love fish tacos - or chicken).
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    I had a crispy chicken sandwich and a side salad with Italian dressing from McDonald's for lunch today. It was 555 calories (I only put on 1/2 the dressing). I feel full now, and I think it will tide me over until dinner. I think things like getting grilled chicken with no mayo or anything of substance will probably leave you more hungry...... I'm not saying my lunch was at all healthy, but I feel good about the calorie totals, and I am planning on working out later, so it fit the bill for me!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    @ lemonsnowdrop - Just the facts, ma'am. No opinion attached:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/foods-from-mcdonalds/6220/2
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    i need access to an in n out burger. i hear its magical.

It is! Don't live near one but eat there every time I visit LA.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    @ lemonsnowdrop - Just the facts, ma'am. No opinion attached:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/foods-from-mcdonalds/6220/2
    A calculator from Self Magazine is definitely not what lemonsnowdrop asked for, but that site could be useful for figuring out which items to try on a menu.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    At McDonald's, I get the chicken Caesar salad, pull the cheese off and use my own, fat-free dressing.

Taco Bell - chicken soft taco.

That's all I know for low-cal, but if sure there are more.

Even just getting a sandwich and skipping the fries is helpful. Maybe take off the top bun, cut the thing and eat with a fork. Lots of those sandwiches are big enough to eat half.
  • The water is about all you can really eat. Mcdonald's has apple fries that might be ok. But eating like you have is why you are where you're at now.
    Fast food is noting but a chemical **** storm.
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    At McDonalds I get the classic grilled chicken without mayo. Then I ask for a side of BBQ sauce and put half of it on the sandwich. Naturally, avoid the fries. That's the hard part. Although if you really want the fries, order a small and split them with someone. My husband and I do that sometimes when we have McD's.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    I want someone to give me an in-depth, scientific reason as to why Big Macs are bad for me. Please use reputable sources that aren't just Google searches. Peer reviewed studies that are statistically sound would be great, but I'm not counting on anyone finding anything.
    I am pretty sure McDonald's is good for you. You can't argue with graphs.

mcd+vs+heart+attack+death.jpg
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    If you want to eat "healthy" fast food, get ready for heartache.

No cheese.
    No creamy sauces (unless it's ketchup, mustard or vinegar... it's probably a creamy sauce full of mayo or sour cream, so don't get it).
    No fried things (or avoid as much as possible).
    No beef (chicken or pork when available... bacon does not count as lean pork... actually, most fast food pork is probably terrible for you).

I know, I know... CICO. But if you eat the aforementioned goodies, you probably won't have any CI left.

Start making your lunch at home. You'll be able to eat a lot more with real food.
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member

Perfect! In for McDonald's lunch today!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member

lol - I like how you scienced that science there.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member

I know that correlation =/= causation, but that graph makes me feel like I'm doing my body justice by stuffing my pie hole full of chicken nuggets.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    if you are trying to eat healthy, whole, fresh foods, I don't know why you would even want to put the garbage that is fast food in your body.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    ISince avoiding fast foodforever is not realistic,I'll give you some options from two places i like.Keep in mind I'm vegetarian so I really don't eat at fast food places by virtue of the fact there's not a whole lot there for me.
    For McDonald's:
    Egg white delight (no ham)
    Small yogurt parfait
    Plain salad/dressing on side
    El pollo loco:
    Brc burrito
    Small side salad