Dinner out....HELP!

Options
Since I've gone at this hard core I've been avoiding dining out, but now the time has come where I'm meeting someone for dinner tonight and I'm at a total loss as to what I should eat?

Without measuring or a food scale how am I supposed to track my calories? I checked the menu of the place online and it's pretty much "pub fare". I'm a pescaterian so obviously I don't eat burgers or chicken wings lolol - there is tilapia on the menu but it's encrusted with stuff - so I just have no clue.

Oh - and it's a date and I don't want him to know I'm trying to lose weight. I want him to think that I think I'm totally awesome the way I am :wink:

Replies

• lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Can you post the link to the menu? I would avoid anything "encrusted", hahaha
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options

http://www.famishedfrog.com/#!dinner/c1zt1

I'm so confused lololol
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Skip the bread, ask for extra veggies and get the sauce on the side. And just enjoy and have fun!
    It is just one meal, that will not make a difference long term.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Pick something, eyeball the portion and don't sweat it too much unless you plan to avoid eating out for the rest of your life. It's just one meal.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options

http://www.famishedfrog.com/#!dinner/c1zt1

I'm so confused lololol

I would avoid salads because restaurant salads tend to have all kinds of weird calorie-laden stuff in it.

Hmm... if you like beef, I would suggest the London Broil since it has a lot of protein. It's an 8 ounce serving, so you can eat half of it to get a regular portion of meat, and asparagus is good for you too! You can also try the fajitas, but skip on the tortillas.

Hope this helps!
  • bcerk
    bcerk Posts: 41
    Options
    Maybe get something that looks the healthiest (look for steamed, grilled, etc)

Ask for veggies as a side always.

Maybe portion control? Eat 2/3 of everything?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Skip the bread, ask for extra veggies and get the sauce on the side. And just enjoy and have fun!
    It is just one meal, that will not make a difference long term.

+1
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options

Hmm... if you like beef, I would suggest the London Broil since it has a lot of protein. It's an 8 ounce serving, so you can eat half of it to get a regular portion of meat, and asparagus is good for you too! You can also try the fajitas, but skip on the tortillas.

Hope this helps!

Thanks but I'm a pescaterian (no land animals since 1987) so it'll have to be a seafood or vegetarian dish :)
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    GRILLED CHICKEN SANDWICH, no cheese, no sides. I mean, order a side, but then don't eat it. I think most grilled chicken sandwiches are between 500 and 650 calories, especially if all you have is a chicken breast, bun, mayo, and lettuce/tomato.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Get whatever your heart desires, but only eat half of it.
    Take the rest home for lunch tomorrow~
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    #1 - Eat before you go out..
    #2 - Think of the meal as of 1000 calories.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Ok, didn't see you were a vegetarian until after I posted. Grilled fish sandwich then? Pub foods are hard for vegetarians on a diet, I'm assuming! Or pescatarians, or whatever.
  • Hotshoe1200
    Hotshoe1200 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That's a tough menu! Even the salads look deadly. I would choose a salad and hold the chicken/meat. If you don't mind him knowing about your bypassing meat, that's a good thing and brings the salads back into line with what you want to do. But if he orders an appetizer, have a bit and then he won't have a clue you're dieting, and you can call it your cheat meal for the week. I have had some success when I go over my calories every so often. good luck!
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I mean, order a side, but then don't eat it.
    Why...?
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't eat out often, estimating should be fine. Personally, I add a 100 calorie "eating out tax" on top of my estimate when I eat out. I also show my estimates to another person that's eating out with me (which probably isn't an option for you).
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Shrimp sizzling fajitas, for the win!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Or you could just enjoy yourself and not worry about it. If the idea is to not let him know your losing weight then subbing things and asking for fish without breading is kind of let on.

One night won't kill your weight loss. You could workout before hand. There are a lot worse things you can eat.
  • JasmineSchmidts
    JasmineSchmidts Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Pretty tricky menu. The Sesame Seared Tuna Salad might be an okay option if you can get the dressing on the side and hold the crispy wontons. Other than that, I would either a) use portion control, b) block out 500-1000 calories for the meal, or c) just let yourself have this as a reward for your hard work and get right back on the diet as normal.

Good luck! Eating out can be quite a tricky thing!
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Since I've gone at this hard core I've been avoiding dining out, but now the time has come where I'm meeting someone for dinner tonight and I'm at a total loss as to what I should eat?

Without measuring or a food scale how am I supposed to track my calories? I checked the menu of the place online and it's pretty much "pub fare". I'm a pescaterian so obviously I don't eat burgers or chicken wings lolol - there is tilapia on the menu but it's encrusted with stuff - so I just have no clue.

Oh - and it's a date and I don't want him to know I'm trying to lose weight. I want him to think that I think I'm totally awesome the way I am :wink:

Here's the thing: as a single man in your same age bracket, let me assure you that he doesn't care what you order. As long as you aren't ordering two lettuce leaves for dinner or, on the flip side, an entire school of fish, he doesn't care what you eat. He likely won't even pay much attention to it other than to ask you if it's good.

Get what you want, do the best you can and don't overthink it. If the conversation is so tough than it centers over your choice of food, chances are you're going to be wanting the night to end quickly anyway.

Good luck!
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Generally, I'm with the others: most restaurants give you too much food, so eat about half and save the rest for lunch. That should keep you around 5-600 cal. And one meal won't make or break you.

For MFP - you'd be surprised what they have in the food archives. If you get fish and chips, just search for "restaurant fish and chips" and log whatever MFP says for one serving. You'll be in the ball park.

Then go for a walk with your date "to get to know each other." He doesn't need to know your ulterior motive to burning off some of the dinner he he he :).