Dinner out....HELP!

Options

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Pretty tricky menu. The Sesame Seared Tuna Salad might be an okay option if you can get the dressing on the side and hold the crispy wontons. Other than that, I would either a) use portion control, b) block out 500-1000 calories for the meal, or c) just let yourself have this as a reward for your hard work and get right back on the diet as normal.

Good luck! Eating out can be quite a tricky thing!

Yeah - I think I might do a "quick add" of maybe 700 calories and have the seared tuna
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Since I've gone at this hard core I've been avoiding dining out, but now the time has come where I'm meeting someone for dinner tonight and I'm at a total loss as to what I should eat?

Without measuring or a food scale how am I supposed to track my calories? I checked the menu of the place online and it's pretty much "pub fare". I'm a pescaterian so obviously I don't eat burgers or chicken wings lolol - there is tilapia on the menu but it's encrusted with stuff - so I just have no clue.

Oh - and it's a date and I don't want him to know I'm trying to lose weight. I want him to think that I think I'm totally awesome the way I am :wink:

Here's the thing: as a single man in your same age bracket, let me assure you that he doesn't care what you order. As long as you aren't ordering two lettuce leaves for dinner or, on the flip side, an entire school of fish, he doesn't care what you eat. He likely won't even pay much attention to it other than to ask you if it's good.

Get what you want, do the best you can and don't overthink it. If the conversation is so tough than it centers over your choice of food, chances are you're going to be wanting the night to end quickly anyway.

Good luck!

LOL. This is true, up to a point. So on my first date with the now boyfriend, I finished my entire plate of food before he was even half done. I didn't even know I was doing it - it was a big CrossFit day! He now insists on telling everyone the story. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But, yeah, OP - just have a good time and be yourself. Order what you like. I suggested the fajitas because you can have one full one with tortilla and all and then just eat the remaining shrimp and veggies.
  • RussellG67
    RussellG67 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you skip the fried wontons, and do the dressing on the side to get only a small portion of it, this one looks good.

SESAME SEARED TUNA 14

Field greens, peppers, edamame, diced tomatoes, scallions, sesame hoisin dressing, crispy wontons.

But as others have said, the best thing to remember is that is only one night. moderation and enjoy.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Since I've gone at this hard core I've been avoiding dining out, but now the time has come where I'm meeting someone for dinner tonight and I'm at a total loss as to what I should eat?

Without measuring or a food scale how am I supposed to track my calories? I checked the menu of the place online and it's pretty much "pub fare". I'm a pescaterian so obviously I don't eat burgers or chicken wings lolol - there is tilapia on the menu but it's encrusted with stuff - so I just have no clue.

Oh - and it's a date and I don't want him to know I'm trying to lose weight. I want him to think that I think I'm totally awesome the way I am :wink:

Here's the thing: as a single man in your same age bracket, let me assure you that he doesn't care what you order. As long as you aren't ordering two lettuce leaves for dinner or, on the flip side, an entire school of fish, he doesn't care what you eat. He likely won't even pay much attention to it other than to ask you if it's good.

Get what you want, do the best you can and don't overthink it. If the conversation is so tough than it centers over your choice of food, chances are you're going to be wanting the night to end quickly anyway.

Good luck!

^So much this. As someone who's had to go through a little therapy for caring too much about what other people think of me, this should be your mantra.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I'll take any 'single man' advice you want to toss my way!!! I need all the help I can get :laugh:
  • haymeredith
    haymeredith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Easy!
    Sesame Seared Tuna, no crispy wontons and ask for the dressing on the side. A great meal with a hearty protein, which will keep your tummy full. If you're worried about feeling full, grab a light snack before you run out the door, to ensure you won't reach for bread (EMPTY calories) or a greasy appetizer.
    I'm not aware of your full journey, but I can empathize with being afraid of eating out! I've completed 2 rounds of Whole30, but realized after my first round, sometimes you gotta eat outside of the comfort and control of your own home - and there ARE options. Good luck tonight =)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Shrimp fajitas or seared tuna salad with dressing on the side.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    So, OP is a pescatarian, which means no chicken and no beef... apparently some people don't read the whole post lol.

I think the flatbreads look good, most of them don't have meat and they seem to have lots of veggies with some cheese and if the bread is "ultra-thin" like it says, it's probably not too bad. I'd probably get the tilapia although "parmesan-encrusted" probably means it has lots of cals... Since you've been good about not dining out lately, I think one meal won't be a big problem. Don't go absolutely crazy, but choose something that looks fairly low-calorie and if you're really concerned, don't eat the whole thing. Most importantly, have fun on the date and try not to stress too much!
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Yup. This. Just this.......
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice!!

Now let's hope the guy isn't an *kitten* :laugh:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

:laugh: Now THAT is always the challenge. Best of luck on your date! :drinker:
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    OMG - I _LOVE_ The Famished Frog...haven't eaten there since starting my new WOE, though, so my recommendations would be based on a completely unhealthy mindset. (If nothing else, you have brought me joy by reminding me of one of my favorite places - I used to work around the corner - and now I know where to go when I am next having a "cheat meal" out).
    All that said: ALWAYS get the dressing on the side, never feel that you need to finish it all (Jackie O diet = only eat half of what is served to you), but also remember: you want to enjoy your meals and you want to have honesty as a base for every relationship. You don't have to tell Mr. Maybe that you are on a diet, but you can casually mention that you are trying to make healthier choices for yourself. If he scoffs and says, "Why? Life is too short not to pig out all the time," then at least you'll know that he's not the right one for you.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    The Miso Glazed Salmon and mushroom flatbread are also probably good options - depending if your macros/nutrition goals are ok with the sodium from the miso and the fat content from the cheesy flatbread - but you should be ok.

Probably don't have to do any substitutions on the Miso Glazed Salmon if you want to be low key.

If I'm out and order food, I just put something close to it in the MFP and if it seems low...I just add some 'quick calories' to track it for my own knowledge.

Good luck and have fun tonight!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

:laugh: Now THAT is always the challenge. Best of luck on your date! :drinker:

If it goes badly, expect a whole other type of forum post from me tomorrow :laugh: :drinker:
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    OMG - I _LOVE_ The Famished Frog...haven't eaten there since starting my new WOE, though, so my recommendations would be based on a completely unhealthy mindset. (If nothing else, you have brought me joy by reminding me of one of my favorite places - I used to work around the corner - and now I know where to go when I am next having a "cheat meal" out).
    All that said: ALWAYS get the dressing on the side, never feel that you need to finish it all (Jackie O diet = only eat half of what is served to you), but also remember: you want to enjoy your meals and you want to have honesty as a base for every relationship. You don't have to tell Mr. Maybe that you are on a diet, but you can casually mention that you are trying to make healthier choices for yourself. If he scoffs and says, "Why? Life is too short not to pig out all the time," then at least you'll know that he's not the right one for you.

That's funny! I haven't been to the Frog in years, and the last time I was there was just to drink!!

This guy works out and runs so he'd be cool with the healthier choices ...I just don't want to be like "No appitizer for me - I'm on a diet!" because A) that's none of his business and B) it sounds like I'm fishing for a compliment lololol
  • ntribley
    ntribley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat-outs can be bad when you're counting calories. But one thing I've found, eat in moderation, but don't worry about the diet for one night out. You don't want to announce to the world (and especially your date!) "I'm dieting!" And one night is not going to wreck your diet, even if you really splurge. You're not going to suddenly balloon out if you have one binge night. The body can usually handle the occasional "feast" nights! You want a salad? Great! But ask for the dressing on the side, and ask if they have a low calorie dressing option. Some places do. If you want a drink, enjoy it. Just keep in mind that they will really add on calories, and empty ones at that. If you do go for an alcoholic drink, limit yourself. And if you'd rather spend more calories on food than drink, order something like a diet pepsi, or even a raspberry iced tea (sure, it's got more calories than a diet soda, but a whole lot less than a frozen margarita!). My best advice? Have fun!!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting something you think looks yummy. Then just pack half of it up at the end of the night. Don't get ribs or chicken fingers as they are typically super high calorie, but usually most other things cut in half would be a decent amount for someone on a restricted calorie meal. Then just don't worry about it and have fun :)
  • knittinlady
    knittinlady Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want and don't worry about it. One meal didn't make you overweight(I'm assuming you're overweight because you're trying to lose weight) and one meal won't derail all of your progress so far. Enjoy your date, and get back to your normal weighing-everything routine the next day. :)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    If you want a drink, enjoy it. Just keep in mind that they will really add on calories, and empty ones at that. If you do go for an alcoholic drink, limit yourself. And if you'd rather spend more calories on food than drink, order something like a diet pepsi, or even a raspberry iced tea (sure, it's got more calories than a diet soda, but a whole lot less than a frozen margarita!). My best advice? Have fun!!

I don't think I can face a first date without a drink!!! I factored in 2 lite beers :drinker: :drinker:
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    What Not to Do

I had a female colleague do this to me once, and it was truly weird.

--> Do you think this <insert-fattening-menu-item> will make me fat?
    --> How many calories do you think the <other-fattening-menu-item> has in it?
    --> That <yet-another-fattening-menu-item> looks really good. You don't think it has a lot of calories in it, do you??!?

:noway: