Why did I try lifting...

Options

Replies

• Asimmons22184
    Options
    Well not lifting will just let you stay at the level you are. If 8 lbs weights are to much then start at 5lbs. You need to put in extraordinary work to get extraordinary results.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I came back and found all this...

Honestly, I don't know whether to feel inspired or break down and start crying. I know you guys don't intend to be mean. I'm not a troll. I'm really not. For those of you that read my water thread, I'm sorry it sounds pathetic to you, but that's really how I live my life. I don't go outside in the heat because I faint every single time. I can't even go to amusement parks anymore. If I drink too much water, I feel nauseous. So I did a trade off. I realize it doesn''t sound very healthy, but I don't know what else to do.

I wanted to try lifting, I really did, but I just feel even more hopeless now than when I started.

When did you start?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It's definitely worth it! Aside from the strength, there's the health benefits (especially as you get older, you're never too young to care about it) and it'll most definitely change how you look. You'll have a better body composition (muscle vs fat) and generally look leaner when you're not necessarily lighter.

Next steps:

- Get on a program. You don't know what you're doing, so you need a program to tell you what to do and why. If you prefer you could get a trainer, they have the added benefit of being able to physically show you how to do the exercise. Or you could do your research online to supplement the program, look up exercises and proper form. Research different rep ranges and which ones suit your goals the best. Youtube can also be good for videos.

- Start out light, learn good technique and progress from there. Nobody starts out strong, nobody is bothered by how weak you are to start. The point is that you go there with an aim, to lift weights, and over time you'll get stronger and more capable. Then you'll start seeing the physical changes to your body (provided your diet is good too) Using just one particular weight, 8lbs in this case, is near pointless. It'll be too light for some exercises and too heavy for others. Join a gym, or buy a range of weights and find out where you need to start for each.

- Try not to focus so much on how you look and short term changes. I know your looks are your main goal and motivation and that's fine, but nothing happens overnight. Try and enjoy the process of lifting, the improvements you make and the changes in your body will come.

- Try to love yourself how you are. It's perfectly acceptable to love the body you have, and still wish to change certain things. Calling yourself "gross" and disliking your body so much is not going to achieve anything IMO, you're not gross, you're human just like everyone else and you wish to make changes for the better. Once you start seeing the good in yourself, it becomes easier to make changes, just trust me on that. Pretty much everything that I saw that you said about yourself was negative. I challenge you to find say 3 things you like about how you are now, or the changes you're making. You don't need to share it here, just think of them or write them down. It's good to have balance, things you like for the things you don't. The things you don't like? Why don't you like them, what can you do to change them? By being more specific (again, you don't have to mention them here) you'll have an easier time finding exercises to help.

Also, full body exercises such as squats, bench, deadlift, etc are extra good because they target many muscle groups at one time. More bang for your buck :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Being too weak to lift, so let's give it up? That's like saying:

1) I'm too dumb to go to school and get an education
    2) I'm too winded to run
    3) I'm too hungry to eat

GUESS WHAT SOLVES THIS "TOO WEAK" BUSINESS?
  • whitehorse67
    whitehorse67 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just don't feel it's worth it. It's not going to make any difference. I'm not aiming to be a powerlifter, I just want to look less gross in my clothes.

You definitely don't have to lift to gain muscle....you can lift light weight, high reps to tone your body. Getting into a weight training routine is the same as when you decided to lose weight. It's hard at first, you may feel awkward and not sure of yourself and will be more inclined to quit. But just make the decision that YOU CAN DO THIS and you will see, the longer you do it, the easier it will get.

One suggestion...if you have joined a gym, some of them offer a consultation with a trainer to help you feel more at ease and get you on a training program. You can also do a lot of research online and search for beginner weight training to lose weight or tone your body.

Just stick with it.....honestly, what do you have to lose?....except the flabby body you are not happy with right? Also ignore snarky comments from people.....EVERYONE was a beginner at one tome.....some people just seem to forget that!....Good Luck!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I came back and found all this...

Honestly, I don't know whether to feel inspired or break down and start crying. I know you guys don't intend to be mean. I'm not a troll. I'm really not. For those of you that read my water thread, I'm sorry it sounds pathetic to you, but that's really how I live my life. I don't go outside in the heat because I faint every single time. I can't even go to amusement parks anymore. If I drink too much water, I feel nauseous. So I did a trade off. I realize it doesn''t sound very healthy, but I don't know what else to do.

I wanted to try lifting, I really did, but I just feel even more hopeless now than when I started.

I didn't read your water thread so I'm going with the assumption that you really are looking for help and not trolling here. I know what you mean about feeling hopeless. You just have to push past it. Trust me, weight training is worth it. I'm just starting and I wish I had done it from the beginning of my weight loss.

I hit my goal weight and looked in the mirror and thought "this is okay" I don't feel I look great. I feel like I'm in the "skinny fat" category and it's not fun. Weight lifting should fix that problem for me.

Right now I'm having a hard time lifting. I had breast augmentation after I lost weight and now my chest is so weak. I noticed I was having trouble closing the hatchback on my car. That's just pathetic. I know some of it was due to the surgery but the majority of it is just because I am weak and I have always been weak.

A friend of mine said I should do pushups to build my chest back up. I tried to do girl style pushups. Not only could I not lift myself up, I could not even bare my weight. As soon as I put all my weight on my arms, I collapsed. I felt hopeless. I wanted to just say screw it and not do anything.

But I bucked up and bought some weights. I've already progressed to 25 pounds when I struggled with 9 pounds 3 weeks ago. I've been doing pushups on countertops and I want to work my way down to the floor. It's just not practical to be so weak you can't close a door. So just keep at it. It does get easier and it will make a difference.
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just don't feel it's worth it. It's not going to make any difference. I'm not aiming to be a powerlifter, I just want to look less gross in my clothes.

This can't be real...I smell a troll.
    Did you see her water thread?

Now I feel :indifferent: for being serious. Eh, oh well. Hopefully any lurkers will get some benefit from my answers.

Popping in here for a sec- I know OP irl, and she is serious... she's just young and new at this. Cut her a little slack, k?
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    <
    That's why lifting is important.

I may not be as small as some of the other ladies on here, but that is what lifting has done for me. Along with changes in my eating habits, the past 11 months have gotten me from the left side of that pic, to the right. I started this journey to lose weight (and in the process, have lost 6 dress sizes), but have gotten bitten by the strength bug, and have now set some additional goals related to that. I am more than twice your age, haven't even been at this a full year, and can't imagine ever thinking about giving up on it because I was "too weak" to do it. Yes, it's hard! But, that is true of just about anything that is really worth doing. Your greatest obstacle is yourself. There is plenty of good advice here on how to get started. Take it!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Well if you ever plan on having kids...a lot of newborn babies weigh around 8lbs. Now would be the time to start lifting, b/c kids only get heavier. I lift, b/c my 6 year old son still likes to ride in shopping carts...he's 50lbs! I can pick him up like it's nothing.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Well if you ever plan on having kids...a lot of newborn babies weigh around 8lbs. Now would be the time to start lifting, b/c kids only get heavier. I lift, b/c my 6 year old son still likes to ride in shopping carts...he's 50lbs! I can pick him up like it's nothing.

So true.

Also, I help my husband move furniture…up and down flights of stairs sometimes and he pretty much always says to me, "I'm so glad I didn't marry a wimpy girl." :laugh:

OP, for real though…..Not sounding mean, but life is tough and you gotta be tougher. Sounds like you just throw your hands up at many situations in life. Get tough!
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I realize you all are trying to help, and I appreciate the words of advice. Unfortunately, I haven't joined a gym (I use the tiny room in my all-female dorm, where no one lifts), I have no access to a trainer, and no one I know that can help me with this sort of thing. I applaud you all for including strength as part as your goals. I'd just like to be thinner at this point. Maybe once I'm thinner I can work my way to strength, but no one wants to see a fat, weak girl try to lift weights when she doesn't know how. I'm not sure what I should do at this point.

For those of you telling me to toughen up...believe me, I'm trying. Haven't you ever been daunted and self-doubting before?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I realize you all are trying to help, and I appreciate the words of advice. Unfortunately, I haven't joined a gym (I use the tiny room in my all-female dorm, where no one lifts), I have no access to a trainer, and no one I know that can help me with this sort of thing. I applaud you all for including strength as part as your goals. I'd just like to be thinner at this point. Maybe once I'm thinner I can work my way to strength, but no one wants to see a fat, weak girl try to lift weights when she doesn't know how. I'm not sure what I should do at this point.

For those of you telling me to toughen up...believe me, I'm trying. Haven't you ever been daunted and self-doubting before?

That's why you just need to get it done. And now is the best time to start strength training, not later. I'm still fat but I wish I started at the beginning rather than later with strength training. It's totally helped recomp my body even though I still have a lot to lose. I'd rather be losing inches/sizes than the scale # because out of the two, I'd rather fit in smaller clothes and lean out.

And no one wants to see what? Ummm....*points to MFP members Otterluv and Nz_Deeva*

Those girls lift seriously heavy and are losing weight and I (among several others) love to see them lift. Deeva even competes in powerlifting competitions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1145369-fat-girl-dead-lifting-competition-report
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/924179-fat-girl-squatting

So the best advice...Just do it already.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    because its awesome
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

You do realize that you will be even weaker when you get "skinny" and will have to work a lot harder to get back to where you are right now? If you lift while losing weight you will keep the muscle mass and strength that you are otherwise going to lose.

You don't need a trainer or someone to help, you can read books, watch YouTube, and ask around here for advice once you start. None of us was born with a barbell on our back and all of us had to go through the beginner pains of lifting but once you get into it and accept that it will be hard work, it gets fun to challenge yourself. You will never grow as a person without facing and overcoming challenges.

Assess the weights and equipment you have available to you and ask for advice on what to do with them. People will give you programs that will fit your skill level and equipment.
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you can look in my profile pics you will see a side by side.. in one I have a red shirt on.. look at the difference in my chest area! This is from about a month of dedicated lifting!! It makes an amazing difference!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    OP, might I suggest resistance bands? I don't have access to a gym currently, nor the money to buy a set of weights, but I do have a set of resistance bands. They cost between 10-20$ at Walmart and are much easier to start out with if you're intimidated by lifting free weights in public. They're compact and you can use them just about anywhere. It would be a good way to ease into strength training and still get benefits from it. :) There are also lots of free exercise videos online that show you how to use them for different muscle groups.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    At the suggestion of people on MFP, and also because I was feeling gross and flabby, I decided to try lifting. I had done about 20 minutes of mild cardio, and thought I'd be warmed up for something.

I had no idea what to do. There were 8 pound dumbbells in my dorm gym, and so I tried lifting those. They were so heavy...my arms ached. I didn't even know what exercises to do. There's a poster hanging in the gym with some exercises on it--shoulder presses, arm rows, squats, lateral raises and lunges. I did a few reps of those. My knees were cracking when I tried to squat (I have rather weak joints for a 19 year old), and I could barely lift my arms for the lateral raises. On the whole, I only did a few reps of each of those exercises before I gave up.

Should I keep trying to lift or should I just let it go and focus on cardio? I think I'm too weak to lift, honestly.

To give you an idea, my physics text book (mind you, I'm an artist by education) was 14 and a half pounds. One text book.

8 pound hand weight? you can do better than that.
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Stick with it!! Give yourself a month and you'll see massive changes. Remember, everything is hard in the beginning.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    There's a motivational quote going around on Pinterest:

I lose weight to look good in clothes.
    I lift to look good without them.

Besides the purely aesthetic pleasures of looking great in shorts, skirts and tank tops, there are plenty of more technical health benefits to lifting.

You preserve and/or build muscle mass. This muscle mass, in turn, burns more calories than fat. This will boost your metabolism slightly, allowing you to eat more without gaining weight.

You also help preserve and build bone density. This will become super important as you age, particularly as a woman. We are prone to osteoporosis, and lifting can help prevent that, among other age-related diseases.

You also preserve and build strength so that you can carry all of your groceries inside in one trip. It's fun to buy 40 lb bags of dogfood and scoff at the offer of assistance while you throw it over your shoulder and march out the door.

There's plenty of easy programs to get you started, as previously mentioned, and if you can afford even one session with a personal trainer just to show you safe form and to make suggestions, it will be a huge help. If not, YouTube is an invaluable resource to watch proper form.

Pick a program and go in with a plan. Once you've done it a couple of times, you'll start feeling quite comfortable. And don't be afraid to ask other members for help...most of them are super friendly and glad to lend a hand, as long as you don't interrupt their set. Wait until they're resting or racking.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    At the suggestion of people on MFP, and also because I was feeling gross and flabby, I decided to try lifting. I had done about 20 minutes of mild cardio, and thought I'd be warmed up for something.

I had no idea what to do. There were 8 pound dumbbells in my dorm gym, and so I tried lifting those. They were so heavy...my arms ached. I didn't even know what exercises to do. There's a poster hanging in the gym with some exercises on it--shoulder presses, arm rows, squats, lateral raises and lunges. I did a few reps of those. My knees were cracking when I tried to squat (I have rather weak joints for a 19 year old), and I could barely lift my arms for the lateral raises. On the whole, I only did a few reps of each of those exercises before I gave up.

Should I keep trying to lift or should I just let it go and focus on cardio? I think I'm too weak to lift, honestly.

To give you an idea, my physics text book (mind you, I'm an artist by education) was 14 and a half pounds. One text book.

8 pound hand weight? you can do better than that.

I really can't. I've even switched to ebooks because my textbooks are too heavy.

But thanks everyone for the advice. After a long talk with some people I care about, I think I'm going to give this another try. I'll go in with a plan this time, something from one of the resources y'all suggested. Again, thanks a ton.

P.S. I'm going to drink more water. My boyfriend found out I hadn't had any today and he pretty much flipped a **** and monitored me while I drank at a water fountain. There won't be any escaping THAT. :)