Why did I try lifting...

Options

Replies

• bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I really can't. I've even switched to ebooks because my textbooks are too heavy.

:noway: :huh:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

To give you an idea, my physics text book (mind you, I'm an artist by education) was 14 and a half pounds. One text book.

8 pound hand weight? you can do better than that.

I really can't. I've even switched to ebooks because my textbooks are too heavy.

But thanks everyone for the advice. After a long talk with some people I care about, I think I'm going to give this another try. I'll go in with a plan this time, something from one of the resources y'all suggested. Again, thanks a ton.

P.S. I'm going to drink more water. My boyfriend found out I hadn't had any today and he pretty much flipped a **** and monitored me while I drank at a water fountain. There won't be any escaping THAT. :)

Then you're going to have a hard time in life. A gallon of milk is 8#+. My dining room chairs are each 20# or so. I have an 8# iron pan. These are all too heavy for you. Is that the kind of life you want? One of frailty and looking for someone "big and strong" to perform basic things for you? I hope not.

You don't even need to go for anything ground breaking like finding out how strong you can be and explore your physical potential. Stick with what the geriatrics start with. Functional strength that they need for daily living. Moving furniture, picking up groceries, etc. Then go from there. Having some modicum of strength allows you to have a more fulfilled life, and at your age, that was something I wanted.

Good luck.
  • shirleygirl1013
    shirleygirl1013 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    After reading your post, I think that you would benefit most from lifting. The next time you go to the gym arm yourself with a plan and start slow. You will get stronger and will love the results.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

:noway: :huh:

Laziness. LOL
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    When it comes down to it, it's your life and you need to make your own decisions. Don't want to lift? Don't do it. You're approaching it like you're a little kid and your parents are making you do something you don't want to do -- dragging your feet and making excuses. If you really do want to lift, go lift the eight-pound weights until you're strong enough to lift ten-pounders. There's nothing wrong with starting off with what you can do, no matter how light. But...what you get out of lifting depends on what you put into it. If you don't like it, and don't push yourself to do better, it's not going to do you any good.

Lifting would certainly benefit you. But learning to make your own decisions based on what you want and taking responsibility for yourself would benefit you more.
  • KaleDOG
    Options
    I had very little strength when I first started, even to the point were I had to use 5 lbs for a male that is embarrassing. But, now I can do up to 15 lbs!

Just keep yourself motivated!
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I had very little strength when I first started, even to the point were I had to use 5 lbs for a male that is embarrassing. But, now I can do up to 15 lbs!

Just keep yourself motivated!

Everyone starts somewhere. I knew some people in high school that wanted to play football and could not bench press the bar.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Start small and work your way up. And if something hurts a joint, don't do it. Find something else to replace it with. Anyone can lift. I can, and I have little baby bird arms. Sure, I started out with low weights, but I'm working my way up.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    trust me, i was saying the same thing when i first started out. everyone here probably has at some point. if you don't have access to a gym and you're too weak to do weights, start with bodyweight exercises and work your way up. DO. YOUR. PUSH-UPS.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    On the off chance that this is real as you say it is, please, please go see a medical professional.

Water makes you feel bloated and gross/sick to your stomach (this, this... I have no idea, but its scary)
    You avoid activity rather than drink water
    You've passed out due to dehydration multiple times because of this and it still does not signal you to drink more water - in fact you alter your life in order to avoid drinking water and easily solving this problem
    Its apparently enough of a problem that your boyfriend actually monitored you while drinking water
    You are so weak that you cannot lift even a text book and - again -altered your life in order to accommodate this.
    You eat very few vegetables and meat, other than seafood, is also off limits, but you don't eat fish that often either, so its mostly vegetarian - what's left to be on the menu? <- this, really you could be vitamin deficient, low iron etc if your diet is not rounded out (also might account for the weakness you are experiencing)
    Whatever is going on with you has affected a serious portion of your life. (Who doesn't go outside/stops doing things they enjoy without a serious medical condition?)

All this puts together a very frightening picture. I don't know whats going on in your life OP, but to an outsider (who is now rather concerned after reading all your forum posts) it sounds as if there are some serious psychological or medical issues going on here. So I urge you to go explore the reasons why this is going on with you. Leave no stone unturned mentally or physically.

Other than the dehydration, low blood pressure, and a couple bouts of low iron (my family is vegetarian but I recently switched because there was nothing to eat in my dining hall) I don't have any medical condition. I guess I've just looked at convenience rather than fixing things. I didn't see any of these things to be problems. When I couldn't lift my books I thought 'oh, hey, there's an alternative--ebooks.' When I couldn't go out without fainting in the heat I thought 'oh, hey, there's an alternative--I never really liked spending time outside anyway.' Nobody ever really told me these choices were wrong. Apparently I've been doing stuff all wrong here...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    On the off chance that this is real as you say it is, please, please go see a medical professional.

Water makes you feel bloated and gross/sick to your stomach (this, this... I have no idea, but its scary)
    You avoid activity rather than drink water
    You've passed out due to dehydration multiple times because of this and it still does not signal you to drink more water - in fact you alter your life in order to avoid drinking water and easily solving this problem
    Its apparently enough of a problem that your boyfriend actually monitored you while drinking water
    You are so weak that you cannot lift even a text book and - again -altered your life in order to accommodate this.
    You eat very few vegetables and meat, other than seafood, is also off limits, but you don't eat fish that often either, so its mostly vegetarian - what's left to be on the menu? <- this, really you could be vitamin deficient, low iron etc if your diet is not rounded out (also might account for the weakness you are experiencing)
    Whatever is going on with you has affected a serious portion of your life. (Who doesn't go outside/stops doing things they enjoy without a serious medical condition?)

All this puts together a very frightening picture. I don't know whats going on in your life OP, but to an outsider (who is now rather concerned after reading all your forum posts) it sounds as if there are some serious psychological or medical issues going on here. So I urge you to go explore the reasons why this is going on with you. Leave no stone unturned mentally or physically.

Other than the dehydration, low blood pressure, and a couple bouts of low iron (my family is vegetarian but I recently switched because there was nothing to eat in my dining hall) I don't have any medical condition. I guess I've just looked at convenience rather than fixing things. I didn't see any of these things to be problems. When I couldn't lift my books I thought 'oh, hey, there's an alternative--ebooks.' When I couldn't go out without fainting in the heat I thought 'oh, hey, there's an alternative--I never really liked spending time outside anyway.' Nobody ever really told me these choices were wrong. Apparently I've been doing stuff all wrong here...

this is why people think you are a troll. The things you are saying sound so unrealistic, as though you are so lazy; next you'll say, when I didn't want to get out of bed to go the bathroom, I thought,"oh, hey, I'll just wear a diaper." If you don't have a medical condition, it sounds as though you might have a psychological condition, such as depression. It might be good idea to seek some counseling. I'm not making fun of you here, I'm serious. The things you are describing sound like classic avoidance behavior.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Recurrent dehydration, low blood pressure, and anemia (low iron) are ALL medical conditions. I really think you should see a doctor.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Recurrent dehydration, low blood pressure, and anemia (low iron) are ALL medical conditions. I really think you should see a doctor.

Your forgetting more likely lack of vitamin D.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    And generalized weakness and, I'm guessing, lethargy. And yes, likely vitamin D and calcium deficiency as well as low or imbalanced electrolytes.

All medical conditions.

I'm curious about bone density. At 19...

This makes me sad.

Please see a doctor.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    And generalized weakness and, I'm guessing, lethargy. And yes, likely vitamin D and calcium deficiency as well as low or imbalanced electrolytes.

All medical conditions.

This makes me sad.

Please see a doctor.

Doctors have told me about all of these things at one point or another in my life. I never took care of them, thinking they weren't that important. What am I supposed to do, though? Most of them never stressed any specific changes, they just told me 'you have this'. They also told me I was fat and needed to lose weight, and I guess that's the only message I took away. :(
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

To give you an idea, my physics text book (mind you, I'm an artist by education) was 14 and a half pounds. One text book.

8 pound hand weight? you can do better than that.

But thanks everyone for the advice. After a long talk with some people I care about, I think I'm going to give this another try. I'll go in with a plan this time, something from one of the resources y'all suggested. Again, thanks a ton.

P.S. I'm going to drink more water. My boyfriend found out I hadn't had any today and he pretty much flipped a **** and monitored me while I drank at a water fountain. There won't be any escaping THAT. :)

Then you're going to have a hard time in life. A gallon of milk is 8#+. My dining room chairs are each 20# or so. I have an 8# iron pan. These are all too heavy for you. Is that the kind of life you want? One of frailty and looking for someone "big and strong" to perform basic things for you? I hope not.

You don't even need to go for anything ground breaking like finding out how strong you can be and explore your physical potential. Stick with what the geriatrics start with. Functional strength that they need for daily living. Moving furniture, picking up groceries, etc. Then go from there. Having some modicum of strength allows you to have a more fulfilled life, and at your age, that was something I wanted.

Good luck.

This reply seems very odd considering the post you quoted says she is going to give lifting another try and check out the resources recommended in the replies.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

All medical conditions.

This makes me sad.

Please see a doctor.

Doctors have told me about all of these things at one point or another in my life. I never took care of them, thinking they weren't that important. What am I supposed to do, though?

Can you imagine by like 50-60 you fall and break bones from lack of these vitamins? That being nice with the age too.
  • JeanetteT1965
    JeanetteT1965 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Body Pump? It's a great areobic/lifting class with music and an instructor. I think you would enjoy this class.:smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The world you live in is inhereintly heavy.

And full of things that need doing.

How are you going to hold things up for someone you are helping?

You aren't- you are helpless. And that should scare you.

You should be able to help yourself- and instead of making your life better and stronger- you're just going to "convience" to avoid things that take work and are difficult.

You aren't making your life better- you're making it worse.

Don't you care about being able to take care of yourself - AT ALL?? THe concept of switching to Ebooks because your books are to heavy is just shameful. Seriously- man up- and pick some stuff up.

The world is heavy- it's not going to get lighter just for you.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    There is so much going on in this post that lifting weight is the least of my worries. Unless you troll cause you're bored.