Oh my god! Chili's calories *faint*

Options

Replies

• LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options

This, like for real. I'm reading through this post thinking... I eat at chili's like once a month or so and I do just fine.
    I never go over 550 calories when I eat there. If you want burgers or crispy chicken, eat it but don't complain about how much fat it has. Common Sense.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Chili's does have the parking spot you pull into so you don't have to leave your car to get your pre-ordered food - "Chili's To Go". I'd pretty much consider that fast food.
  • LaVie13
    LaVie13 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    when we go to chilis , i order a chicken breast grilled , and a plain baked potato. also the side salad with dressing on the side. My local branch will do this for me ,not sure about other branches.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    Chili's does have the parking spot you pull into so you don't have to leave your car to get your pre-ordered food - "Chili's To Go". I'd pretty much consider that fast food.

Not here, though it took just a few minutes for the food to be served. Yea, I suppose it's precooked and heated up, which is pretty fast for me. It's not fresh food anyway.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    What I love about these types of places are how their light section of the menu typically proudly proclaims how their options are all under 600 calories.. or some other embarrassingly high number to be considered "light."
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town with little restaurant choice so Chili's is the place my husband and I usually go when we want to eat out before a movie or something. We order off of the 2 for $20 and I get the sirloin BUT I was just told that when you order it you have to tell them that you want it "lighter choice" or else they cover it in garlic and butter (yum yum but bad bad). The menu shows it with a LC by it so you assume it automatically comes that way but it does not....the difference in calories is like 500!!
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    What I love about these types of places are how their light section of the menu typically proudly proclaims how their options are all under 600 calories.. or some other embarrassingly high number to be considered "light."

Depending on what your daily calorie consumption is 600 calories might not be a lot to someone. In all honesty based on the calories of some of the meals out there I'd consider 600 calories to be "light". Most of my daily meals that I prepare myself are around the 500-600 calorie range.
  • babsfit14
    Options
    Technically, I believe it would be considered a chain restaurant. Every chain restaurant I've checked into (Chili's, Olive Garden, etc.) all have incredibly high amounts of sodium in their foods, not to mention the fat and sugar. Makes it harder to get a healthy meal out.
  • babsfit14
    Options

Depending on what your daily calorie consumption is 600 calories might not be a lot to someone. In all honesty based on the calories of some of the meals out there I'd consider 600 calories to be "light". Most of my daily meals that I prepare myself are around the 500-600 calorie range.

I know right? I recently ate at Don Pablo and thought I was doing so well ordering Mama's Skinny Enchiladas which were said to have less than 500 calories because the tortillas were heated in water instead of oil. What they don't tell you is that those same "skinny" enchiladas contain something like 1500 milligrams of sodium.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    LOL I used to work there and ate there all the time because it was free and they didn't pay much, but I am still 3 years later working off those calories!!!!!!!

I'm right there with you, except I'm still working on getting it off after more like 5 years! I still eat there fairly often though because it's just so. dang. good.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Not reading 3 pages but just wanted to add, if it hasn't been said already, Get half the portion to go. That makes a 1000 cal meal into a 500 cal meal and more manageable. I do it all the time eating out.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Is it an American restaurant?
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options
    Is it an American restaurant?

It's all over the world but the chain started in America.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I usually get ignored because I think people don't believe me. But, be ready for me to blow your mind.

The restaurants ignore portions, but the calorie count is for one portion. I've tested this out by asking a few restaurants. The ones that know have always said it's about 2 to 3 portions or something.

So, when it says 1,200 calories, that is for one serving. But, on your plate, you could have 3 servings.

It's something I wish the industry who is making them list calories, would also make them serve single portions, if requested.

I think this is why, when someone eats out a lot, they tend to gain weight, even though they are logging all their food.

Haha, really? I mean, typically it says it's for 'one plate'.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    No offense, but kinda conflicty there. Appetizers are meant to be shared and tie you over until the food comes (yes), but entrées aren't meant to be combined with appetizers? But you just said those are meant to be shared until the food comes.

The point is: 1) That it's not a traditional salad which would be meant to be eaten in addition to a main course. It is a meal in and of itself, so 1000 calories isn't a completely outrageous amount. And 2) If you are ordering a salad under the mistaken belief that it should be low-calorie, then adding an appetizer on top of it is going to be self-defeating, no matter how many calories that salad has in it. You can't go out to eat and stuff your face with appetizers and then think that somehow ordering a salad after that is going to make up for it.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    For the love of God, if you don't like what they're serving, don't go there. It's as freaking simple as that.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Good grief, you people need to get over the sodium content. Unless you have a medical condition, sodium is not a big bad evil. Drink some extra fluids and it gets flushed right out of your system.

OP, I have been learning, if you are willing to look and sometimes make special requests, you can get a healthy low calorie meal just about anywhere. Including Chili's. There is a particular customer I call on that loves Chili's so I know I have to eat there when I meet with him. I don't recall exactly but I think I usually have no issue getting a healthy meal. Heck I may throw in a beer or two as well depending on if I am staying in town.
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options
    I usually get ignored because I think people don't believe me. But, be ready for me to blow your mind.

The restaurants ignore portions, but the calorie count is for one portion. I've tested this out by asking a few restaurants. The ones that know have always said it's about 2 to 3 portions or something.

So, when it says 1,200 calories, that is for one serving. But, on your plate, you could have 3 servings.

It's something I wish the industry who is making them list calories, would also make them serve single portions, if requested.

I think this is why, when someone eats out a lot, they tend to gain weight, even though they are logging all their food.

Haha, really? I mean, typically it says it's for 'one plate'.

no it is not. That's is absolutely, 100% false. It is per serving. The plate might have many servings. It is not one plate. You can google it if you want. I'm not making this up. Their requirement is to list the calories per serving. They can serve as much as they want./ That's up to them. So, be careful.

Not sure about this. I just went online and found a PDF of the nutrition facts for the items on their menu and it states "as served" which IMO would be exactly what they're putting on your plate.