Oh my god! Chili's calories *faint*

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    What I love about these types of places are how their light section of the menu typically proudly proclaims how their options are all under 600 calories.. or some other embarrassingly high number to be considered "light."

Depending on what your daily calorie consumption is 600 calories might not be a lot to someone. In all honesty based on the calories of some of the meals out there I'd consider 600 calories to be "light". Most of my daily meals that I prepare myself are around the 500-600 calorie range.

I would consider anything under 1000 calories to be "light".
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I usually get ignored because I think people don't believe me. But, be ready for me to blow your mind.

The restaurants ignore portions, but the calorie count is for one portion. I've tested this out by asking a few restaurants. The ones that know have always said it's about 2 to 3 portions or something.

So, when it says 1,200 calories, that is for one serving. But, on your plate, you could have 3 servings.

It's something I wish the industry who is making them list calories, would also make them serve single portions, if requested.

I think this is why, when someone eats out a lot, they tend to gain weight, even though they are logging all their food.

Haha, really? I mean, typically it says it's for 'one plate'.

no it is not. That's is absolutely, 100% false. It is per serving. The plate might have many servings. It is not one plate. You can google it if you want. I'm not making this up. Their requirement is to list the calories per serving. They can serve as much as they want./ That's up to them. So, be careful.

See, I don't get this because most people I have talked to, that work at these places say different. In many of the chain restaurants they have the portions come to them pre-packaged by corporate. The "man" has learned that if they give you more it costs them money. It is cheaper for them to pre-package so their cooks can't give you excess.
  • billr9mm
    billr9mm Posts: 72 Member
    Options

^^^^ This ^^^^

There are many restaurants that do not offer these choices, so Chili's is always an excellent choice for going out and watching what you are eating.
  • mysweetjenna
    mysweetjenna Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I worked there when I was in college. Its not something people think about often, but look at the kids menu! Also, ask for the broccoli without butter, and you can also ask for things without salt.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If you just look at the sodium content alone, that should be enough to make you order water....................only.

Beat me to it......
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    What I love about these types of places are how their light section of the menu typically proudly proclaims how their options are all under 600 calories.. or some other embarrassingly high number to be considered "light."

Depending on what your daily calorie consumption is 600 calories might not be a lot to someone. In all honesty based on the calories of some of the meals out there I'd consider 600 calories to be "light". Most of my daily meals that I prepare myself are around the 500-600 calorie range.

Agreed. I eat 1400 cal daily which is kind of low compared to many women and most men...and my split is very often 200/500/700 for breakfast, lunch & dinner. When I am headed out to a restaurant I automatically assume it's gonna be around 700-1000 calories.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You all realize that going over on sodium doesn't affect fat loss if you are still in calorie deficit right?

If you have hypertension, then you want to keep it lower. If you exercise a lot, sweat or live in higher temp climates you likely need more than the RDA anyway.

I much prefer chain/fast food places. At least they have nutritional info to input. Pre plan, eat your food, continue with life and don't stress over unimportant things :smile:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Agreed. I eat 1400 cal daily which is kind of low compared to many women and most men...and my split is very often 200/500/700 for breakfast, lunch & dinner. When I am headed out to a restaurant I automatically assume it's gonna be around 700-1000 calories.
    Same here. And I have for a decade or more eaten a half an entree virtually always, and taken the other half home for later or split with a fellow diner.

Some chain restaurants I get 3 or more decent sized dinners out of one entree. I get Carrabba's large pollo rosa maria several times a year and always get 3 big meals out of it.

And I dump salt on everything. Everything. :heart:
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    yeah if you leave off dressing, croutons, meat and cheese the salad should be pretty safe.

And in US fast food typically = has a drive thru, but I can understand the concept behind calling chilis a "fastfood" restaurant as it serves much the same type of food as a fast food place but is a restaurant. Makes sense to me.

If you take all of that off, the only thing left is lettuce...LOL
  • rhodieridge13
    rhodieridge13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I too had a menu shocker today at PF Changs. 1380 calories for the shrimp and candied walnuts. What a crime!
  • VCopple
    VCopple Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You could order ala carte options. How about a plain grilled chicken breast, a side of black beans, and a side of broccoli? Most restaurants will let you do that without any problems. Then just track those items individually. Might not be as tasty, but you can still hit your goal.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Good grief, you people need to get over the sodium content. Unless you have a medical condition, sodium is not a big bad evil. Drink some extra fluids and it gets flushed right out of your system.

OP, I have been learning, if you are willing to look and sometimes make special requests, you can get a healthy low calorie meal just about anywhere. Including Chili's. There is a particular customer I call on that loves Chili's so I know I have to eat there when I meet with him. I don't recall exactly but I think I usually have no issue getting a healthy meal. Heck I may throw in a beer or two as well depending on if I am staying in town.

Yeah, in fact, if I limit my carbs, and need to eat MORE sodium, otherwise I become hypotensive (my blood pressure is too low) and I feel light-headed. My mother had low BP as a teen, younger adult...after kids and menopause, she started having hypertension.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    Oh great! My husband and me had a not so good night. Looks like they didn't pay much attention to hygene at least yesterday. Lets see if others of our group got sick as well.
  • yirara
    Options
    I usually get ignored because I think people don't believe me. But, be ready for me to blow your mind.

The restaurants ignore portions, but the calorie count is for one portion. I've tested this out by asking a few restaurants. The ones that know have always said it's about 2 to 3 portions or something.

So, when it says 1,200 calories, that is for one serving. But, on your plate, you could have 3 servings.

It's something I wish the industry who is making them list calories, would also make them serve single portions, if requested.

I think this is why, when someone eats out a lot, they tend to gain weight, even though they are logging all their food.

I'm not surprised. The chicken I got yesterday certainly was bigger than the 160 grams I should have gotten based on the calories/protein they provide on their website. I managed to eat half of it and the beans, and was really full. I returned half a chicken and the rice (didn't take the fried bread). The plates other got served were really huge; mine still looked the smallest.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Oh great! My husband and me had a not so good night. Looks like they didn't pay much attention to hygene at least yesterday. Lets see if others of our group got sick as well.

Ewwwww. Guess that's one way to limit calorie intake. Not one I'd recommend, 'tho. Hope you get feelin' better soon!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    next time you go there, choose fajitas and ask for corn tortillas or just skip the tortillas altogether and have a "salad" . you will still feel satisfied and it will be yummy but lower cal. we do this occasionally. ask for extra lettuce too.

Normally this is awesome advice that I use, too...but seriously, something NUTS is up with Chili's...I ordered spicy shrimp tacos with a black bean side, ate less than one of the 3 tortillas, and logging it my sodium was STILL through the roof and insane, calories were crazy too. Usually I think I can go for a healthier option but at Chili's I am not even sure that's possible unfortunately.

3rd on the fajitas options.

except- i typically eat the tortillas- and I know it kills me for the day- My BF loves chili's he's like the worst food ofender every- he hates any place that isn't a chain almost - makes me crazy.
    Whatever- we only do it once in a while- I've gotten him hooked on the Brazilian steak houses- so all meat- all night long. WIN WIN
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    next time you go there, choose fajitas and ask for corn tortillas or just skip the tortillas altogether and have a "salad" . you will still feel satisfied and it will be yummy but lower cal. we do this occasionally. ask for extra lettuce too.

Normally this is awesome advice that I use, too...but seriously, something NUTS is up with Chili's...I ordered spicy shrimp tacos with a black bean side, ate less than one of the 3 tortillas, and logging it my sodium was STILL through the roof and insane, calories were crazy too. Usually I think I can go for a healthier option but at Chili's I am not even sure that's possible unfortunately.

3rd on the fajitas options.

except- i typically eat the tortillas- and I know it kills me for the day- My BF loves chili's he's like the worst food ofender every- he hates any place that isn't a chain almost - makes me crazy.
    Whatever- we only do it once in a while- I've gotten him hooked on the Brazilian steak houses- so all meat- all night long. WIN WIN
    I tried to sell hubs on the brazilian steak places (he's vegetarian) as all you can eat salad bar. Alas, he hated it. And even complained to the manager (which he NEVER does) about the lack of freshness. darn!
  • yirara
    Options
    Oh great! My husband and me had a not so good night. Looks like they didn't pay much attention to hygiene at least yesterday. Lets see if others of our group got sick as well.

Ewwwww. Guess that's one way to limit calorie intake. Not one I'd recommend, 'tho. Hope you get feelin' better soon!

Thanks, it's better again now after a wild night and similar morning O.o
    Looks like we were the only unlucky ones. Makes me wonder if saturated fat and salt has antiseptic effects, as we were the only ones taking something somewhat healthy and small *laughs*