Why the hate on "toning?"

Options
I've seen several responses that kind of give eye-rolls to the term "toning." As in "How can I best work on toning my abs?"

Just curious why people don't like this term.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Tone is a setting on your guitar.

guitar-tone-pot.jpg

What people want to do is look leaner and show off their muscles more. That's simply fat loss.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    In...for the responses.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    This is all muscle tone is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_tone

What most people are really asking is how to increase muscle mass and how to lose fat. The answer there is resistance training, cardio, and eating fewer calories than consumed, coupled with eating the right balance of protein, fats and carbs to aid in muscle retention or growth.

The term doesn't bother me that much. I don't care if people new to fitness use the wrong words to describe something. It's more important that people engage in something, not what they call it.
  • csec6pak
    csec6pak Posts: 54 Member
    Options

What most people are really asking is how to increase muscle mass and how to lose fat. The answer there is resistance training, cardio, and eating fewer calories than consumed, coupled with eating the right balance of protein, fats and carbs to aid in muscle retention or growth.

The term doesn't bother me that much. I don't care if people new to fitness use the wrong words to describe something. It's more important that people engage in something, not what they call it.

Yeah, that's kind of my take on it. I know what people mean when they ask and I know what the answer is.....and I think everyone else here does, too. I just don't get the hate when people use a slightly incorrect term. It's just semantics.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    The hate is directed at the fitness industry. "Tone", as they use it, is a mythical state that gives one the appearance of long, lean limbs.
    Muscle tone itself is a very small part of a much larger aesthetic equation, relatively insignificant when compared to body composition.
    Typically, if a person looks flabby, it is because of the ratio body fat to lean body mass, and not hypotonia.
    Aesthetic goals purportedly requiring "muscle tone" should focus on increasing the quantity of muscle tissue and decreasing the quantity of body fat.
    Even with these alterations, if you have a stout frame, you have a stout frame. That will not change regardless of the amount of ab-rolling, shake-weight-ing, PiYo!ing, Zumbaing, or lifting of infinite reps at 0.01lbs.

With love,
    Burt
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    It's not just semantics, because usually when people talk about toning they are also of the mindset of "I don't want to get all big and bulky like a bodybuilder" and people who take issue with the term toning are also taking issue with that parallel mindset. They roll their eyes at the people who have no idea what it really takes to get big. They're also being dismissive of magazine article-type workouts showing people with 3lb dumbbells ... after all, can't lift heavy weights, don't want to get too big, just want to tone.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I've seen several responses that kind of give eye-rolls to the term "toning." As in "How can I best work on toning my abs?"

You can't "tone" muscles. You can lose fat....or you can gain muscle. Women also will not look like the incredible hulk by lifting heavy....They should not focus on "toning" by lifting light weights for high reps.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

It doesn't mean anything. It's some Hanoi Jane-ism from the 80s.

It's a great way to ID that someone is basically clueless though.
  • H4rpy
    H4rpy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think part of the angst is because it's often used by misinformed women who think picking up a weight will make them insta-hulk.

"I don't want to be bulky, I just want to tone."

I won't lie; that usage does make me itch. I've never crabbed at anyone for saying it, though.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    BECAUSE IT'S NOT A VERB.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It's not just semantics, because usually when people talk about toning they are also of the mindset of "I don't want to get all big and bulky like a bodybuilder" and people who take issue with the term toning are also taking issue with that parallel mindset. They roll their eyes at the people who have no idea what it really takes to get big. They're also being dismissive of magazine article-type workouts showing people with 3lb dumbbells ... after all, can't lift heavy weights, don't want to get too big, just want to tone.

And this
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't hate "toning" in and of itself as I understand what the person is ultimately after...what I do find annoying is when someone says, "I want to tone up"...and I suggest lifting weights and cutting body fat...and they say, "but I don't want to bulk, I just want to tone." :angry: :grumble: :huh:

I also find it annoying that the fitness industry has convinced women that if they lift anything heavier than their purse, they will bulk on all of this muscle...and that they just need to use the little pink 1.5 Lb dumbbells if they want to "tone". I can assure you...my wife lifts heavy things and puts them down...she does traditional back squats with barbells and plates...she does dead lifts...she benches and does overhead presses...she is not bulky...she is "toned."
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options

+1
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options

You can't "tone" muscles. You can lose fat....or you can gain muscle. Women also will not look like the incredible hulk by lifting heavy....They should not focus on "toning" by lifting light weights for high reps.

Lifting heavy is one of the best ways to "tone" muscles. I learned that first hand while Olympic lifting. It's a very, very common misconception. Unless you're training voraciously or taking steroids, there's a decent chance you won't 'bulk up.'

Edit: This is directed more toward women, but it goes the same for men, especially with regard to lack of steroids.
  • shirleygirl1013
    shirleygirl1013 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I went to my obgyn the other day and he told me that when I get pregnant that I need to focus on toning. I almost vomited!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

The bolded and people imply spot reduction when they ask about "toning". How do I 'tone' my legs, or arms, or belly etc.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    BECAUSE IT'S NOT A VERB.

love it :-D
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Me personally? I don't like the word "tone" when it comes to fitness, BECAUSE I don't know how many times I've tried to explain to my family that by doing what I am doing, with the lifting, HIIT cardio, eating better etc it's for a better muscular build. BUT as soon as I use the word muscles, they then retort, "oh, I don't want to get bulky and muscular." *facepalm* it's like when trying to explain "tone" and using the word muscles in the same sentence can't be done without them thinking they'll get bulky. It's quite frustrating, hence my hatred for "tone." :grumble:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Toning is not the right word. Although when I get to my weight goal I will look so tone up.