Why the hate on "toning?"

Options

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about special yogurt-for-women or tools with pink handles.

I AM SO THRILLED I'M NOT THE ONLY WOMAN THAT CAN USE A REGULAR HAMMER WITHOUT IT NEEDING TO BE PINK.

thank you for saying that.....

Seriously. Look I love my sister but when she bought pink boxing gloves at kickboxing, I wanted to punch her. (rolling eyes furiously)

The only lifting belt I could find in an XS was hot pink. I feel like a total tool every time I wear it. One of my hugest pet peeves is the need to make everything for women "cute" or "pink" in some way.
    Seriously. If I want my things to be girly, I'll bedazzle them myownself.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

TONE:

noun
    any sound considered with reference to its quality, pitch, strength, source, etc.:
    "shrill tones."
    quality or character of sound.
    vocal sound; the sound made by vibrating muscular bands in the larynx.
    a particular quality, way of sounding, modulation, or intonation of the voice as expressive of some meaning, feeling, spirit, etc.:
    "a tone of command."
    an accent peculiar to a person, people, locality, etc., or a characteristic mode of sounding words in speech.
    stress of voice on a syllable of a word.
    Linguistics. a musical pitch or movement in pitch serving to distinguish two words otherwise composed of the same sounds, as in Chinese.
    Music.
    a.a musical sound of definite pitch, consisting of several relatively simple constituents called partial tones, the lowest of which is called the fundamental tone and the others harmonics or overtones.
    b.an interval equivalent to two semitones; a whole tone; a whole step.
    c.any of the nine melodies or tunes to which Gregorian plainsong psalms are sung.
    a quality of color with reference to the degree of absorption or reflection of light; a tint or shade; value.
    that distinctive quality by which colors differ from one another in addition to their differences indicated by chroma, tint, shade; a slight modification of a given color; hue:
    "green with a yellowish tone."
    Art. the prevailing effect of harmony of color and values.
    Physiology.
    a.the normal state of tension or responsiveness of the organs or tissues of the body.
    b.that state of the body or of an organ in which all its functions are performed with healthy vigor.
    c.normal sensitivity to stimulation.
    a normal healthy mental condition.
    a particular mental state or disposition; spirit, character, or tenor.
    a particular style or manner, as of writing or speech; mood:
    "the macabre tone of Poe's stories."
    prevailing character or style, as of manners, morals, or philosophical outlook:
    "the liberal tone of the 1960s."
    style, distinction, or elegance.
    verb (used with object), toned, toning.
    to sound with a particular tone.
    to give the proper tone to (a musical instrument).
    to modify the tone or general coloring of.
    to give the desired tone to (a painting, drawing, etc.).
    Photography. to change the color of (a print), especially by chemical means.
    to render as specified in tone or coloring.
    to modify the tone or character of.
    to give or restore physical or mental tone to.
    verb (used without object), toned, toning.
    to take on a particular tone; assume color or tint.
    Verb phrases
    tone down,
    a.to become or cause to become softened or moderated:
    "The newspaper toned down its attack."
    b.Painting. to make (a color) less intense in hue; subdue.
    tone up,
    a.to give a higher or stronger tone to.
    b.to gain or cause to gain in tone or strength:
    "toning up little-used muscles."
    tone (in) with, to harmonize in tone or coloring; blend:
    "The painting tones with the room."

28 suggests it at least has a place in the world of fitness lol
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It's not just semantics, because usually when people talk about toning they are also of the mindset of "I don't want to get all big and bulky like a bodybuilder"

This is why I always thought folks were snarky - because toning meant lifting Mickey Mouse weights to "firm up" or "tone" - there is no such thing - just build muscles and reduce fat - using actual weights. You'll be "toning" and won't get big.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I don't hate "toning" in and of itself as I understand what the person is ultimately after...what I do find annoying is when someone says, "I want to tone up"...and I suggest lifting weights and cutting body fat...and they say, "but I don't want to bulk, I just want to tone." :angry: :grumble: :huh:

I also find it annoying that the fitness industry has convinced women that if they lift anything heavier than their purse, they will bulk on all of this muscle...and that they just need to use the little pink 1.5 Lb dumbbells if they want to "tone". I can assure you...my wife lifts heavy things and puts them down...she does traditional back squats with barbells and plates...she does dead lifts...she benches and does overhead presses...she is not bulky...she is "toned."

this is the heart of the issue.

well when you put it that way i see your point... but then its really more the mindset of the person then the word itself, but i suppose some are suggesting the two go hand in hand
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I don't hate "toning" in and of itself as I understand what the person is ultimately after...what I do find annoying is when someone says, "I want to tone up"...and I suggest lifting weights and cutting body fat...and they say, "but I don't want to bulk, I just want to tone." :angry: :grumble: :huh:

This is pretty much my beef with the word, too. It's not that I like it or not, but people treat it like it's its own unique process. To them, you have muscle building / development / maintenance, weight loss, and then toning gets a category all to itself when, in reality "toning" and "getting that toned look" is a result of the previous two disciplines.

The term may be fine when used as short-hand to describe the goal, but when you're asking for technical details, it's important to understand the technical nature and terms.

It's similar, but not identical, to how, if I want to know if my friend has his car, I might say "you have your wheels with you, today?" but, if I go to a mechanic and say "I need you to look at my wheels" the mechanic is going to look at my wheels and potentially miss that the problem with my CAR is in the engine.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Honest answer?

Because people use it as an excuse to look down on others and show off how smart they are. They're really not. It's a commonly used word, it may not be entirely accurate, but trust me, plenty of people use words incorrectly every single day. People who ***** about it on the forums are doing just that, *****ing.

You pose sense and smartness and and and ... you are humble, a very humble poster something that can be seen in bits and pieces here at MFP.
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    BECAUSE IT'S NOT A VERB.

Actually, I've toned network ports before, so tone can be a verb.

As for the OP, I don't know about whether people deserve hate for it. it's a misused word that is picking up the meaning from misuse. Drift happens. When I see it, I figure they mean they want muscle definition that is visible when flexing, and hidden when at rest. It is about education. Everyone is ignorant about something. Rail against the professionals who misuse it, not at the beginners asking for advice. (For what its worth, I don't want to be "toned" I want to be strong. If I have visible muscle definition as I get stronger and lose fat, somehow I'll live with it. :) )
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am a woman and I want muscles.
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    BECAUSE IT'S NOT A VERB.

Actually it is:

verb (used without object), toned, toning.

tone up,
    to give a higher or stronger tone to.
    to gain or cause to gain in tone or strength:
    toning up little-used muscles.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    I've seen several responses that kind of give eye-rolls to the term "toning." As in "How can I best work on toning my abs?"

Just curious why people don't like this term.
    Because the term was developed by the fitness industry to FOOL women that "toning" was a different way to lift weight/do resistance exercises without looking like a female bodybuilder or athlete. It was disingenuous because the fitness industry knew full well that women spend more money then men on personal improvement and they needed to come up with something that sounded much more "feminine".
    There is no such thing as "toning" exercises. There are no "toning" squats or curls. There are no "toning" crunches. They are just exercises and dependent on resistance and reps, one will either achieve strength, size or endurance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    It's the same as saying "jogging" or "running" in my mind. Kind of the same thing until you get into the intense zone (sprinting or body building). To me, it's really just another word, as valid as any.

I think what bugs other people is that people who use the word tone often follow it by saying they don't want to bulk. Which is technically the same thing (until you reach the body building level). So they say they want to build muscle, and then immediately follow that by saying they don't want to build muscle haha.

But really, people, IMO, are being too nit picky. They should know that when a person says that they mean "I want a bit more muscle, but not what I consider to be too much". They want moderate muscles. Not flab, not hulk. They just want to look good in their own eyes.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options

What people want to do is look leaner and show off their muscles more. That's simply fat loss.

Perhaps I am dating myself, but when I think of toning, I think of building the muscle underneath the fat. So when I want to 'tone' my abs, I want them to be firm and pulled in to provide a flatter profile. Not really thinking about showing off a six pack or ab muscles.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I also find it annoying that the fitness industry has convinced women that if they lift anything heavier than their purse, they will bulk on all of this muscle...and that they just need to use the little pink 1.5 Lb dumbbells if they want to "tone". I can assure you...my wife lifts heavy things and puts them down...she does traditional back squats with barbells and plates...she does dead lifts...she benches and does overhead presses...she is not bulky...she is "toned."

this is the heart of the issue.

well when you put it that way i see your point... but then its really more the mindset of the person then the word itself, but i suppose some are suggesting the two go hand in hand

as someone else pointed out- it's often used primarily with women- which is annoying- and counter productive. So it can be a bit frustrating because it means someone doesn't under how to get what they really want.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Etymology:
    1275-1325; Middle English (noun) < Latin tonus < Greek tónos strain, tone, mode, literally, a stretching, akin to teínein to stretch
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't like it because it's a marketing gimmick directed at women. I don't need to be pandered to.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    no matter how it got started, if its used enough then its apparently going to make it into websters

Enter twerking, and amazeballs
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

and eating fewer calories than consumed,

How does one do that?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't like it because it's a marketing gimmick directed at women. I don't need to be pandered to.

Oh I don't know...overheard a male PT at the gym saying to his male client "I can still see your tone"
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    EXACTLY.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Oh I don't know...overheard a male PT at the gym saying to his male client "I can still see your tone"
    Uninformed PT who parrots much of what he hear's through the commercial fitness industry.

IDEA Fitness member