Overweight fitness instructors

Options

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'm a Rugby player "larger" coaches (and players, come to that) are everywhere and surprisingly fit - 80 minutes of Rugby on match day is no mean feat for anybody.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I have yet to figure out what gyms these are that people are going to...I have never seen an obese group fitness instructor...and none of the trainers at any of the three gyms I've been in over the last couple of years have looked particularly out of shape or anything. There was one strength coach at my previous gym who wasn't super lean, but well within a healthy BF%...but he was also a power-lifting/strength coach and wasn't so much concerned with 10% BF and all that. One of the PTs at my current gym is sitting right around 17% right now, but he's at the end of a bulk cycle..

I don't know...maybe people are just going to ****ty gyms or something.

My main "gym" is really just a rec centre (ice rinks, indoor soccer fields, pool, track) that also has a fitness center. While the trainers are certified, I wouldn't expect them to be super elite athletes or anything. There aren't many actual gyms where I live - we just finally got a Good Life fitness this past spring. Other than that, there's a women's only gym, a couple MMA facilities and a fitness club that caters to the wealthier crowd. I work with a trainer at one of the MMA places once a week, and all of the trainers there are ripped - which I would expect in a place like that!
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Kinda like going to a dentist that has bad teeth? Maybe like asking a fat doctor about weight loss?

You live in a town with two dentists.
    One has good teeth, the other has bad teeth. Which one do you go to?

The one with the bad teeth because clearly the one with the good teeth is a crappy dentist.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Kinda like going to a dentist that has bad teeth? Maybe like asking a fat doctor about weight loss?
    Stevie Wonder can't see music sheets nor write them (unless in braille) and is one of the greatest artists ever. Coaches are overweight a lot of times. Doesn't mean they are VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE about their sport and strategy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I guess it shouldn't really make a difference...look a the people that coach footballers, boxers, athletes etc they're not all fit and/or a healthy weight.

Buuuut, well, I can't say I would be interested in attending a class with an overweight instructor or trainer.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Personally, it says to me that the trainers can't even get fit with their workouts. How do they expect participants to get fit? Nope, no overweight trainers.

We are always emphasizing the importance of diet over exercies: you can't out exercise a bad diet, abs are made in the kitchen, etc. So the fact that the trainer or instructor can't "get fit" from his or her own workout alone says little. You or I couldn't shed much fat through workout alone, either.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Personally, it says to me that the trainers can't even get fit with their workouts. How do they expect participants to get fit? Nope, no overweight trainers.
    Getting fit and getting lean are 2 different things though. A lean person isn't necessarily a fit person.

IDEA Fitness member
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Meh, I've had a heavy spin instructor. The class was fine. He seemed to be in great shape.

But I really don't think overweight fitness instructors should be surprised that they have a hard time finding work.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Lol, the one my insurance covers.:laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Getting fit and getting lean are 2 different things though. A lean person isn't necessarily a fit person.

IDEA Fitness member

yea but lean or appearance is most peoples goals anyway.

For sure someone could be a very good trainner and be overweight or even not practice what they preach whatsoever.

if they can otherwise prove that they know what they are talking about (degree hanging on wall, lots of satisfied customers, etc), then it might be something worth considering
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Honestly for me it depends what the instructor is for.

If it was for an Cardio class where a lot of jumping takes place (like Zumba) and I haven't taken one for the longest of time maybe 5 - 6 years now it would matter to me. I would have a pause in my mind for a minute maybe seeing an "overweight" instructor and I mean really overweight.

It won't phase me at all how the instructor's physique is if he/she is for yoga, strength training, running (coach). That's where I search for how much knowledgeable the person is.

Different sports different attitude.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I've done spin & zumba classes with overweight instructors in the past and have not ever really felt like I got a good workout with those instructors vs the more fit instructors.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

For sure someone could be a very good trainner and be overweight or even not practice what they preach whatsoever.

if they can otherwise prove that they know what they are talking about (degree hanging on wall, lots of satisfied customers, etc), then it might be something worth considering
    I don't disagree on lean and appearance, but that has more to do with nutrition (as we in MFP land know) than actual exercise.
    One could get lean and look better by just eating less with no exercise at all.

IDEA Fitness member
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    If mildly overweight, but physically fit (endurance etc.) - yes.

If “morbidly obese” – no.

My choice would be someone that was once overweight and out of shape, but has lost the weight etc. and kept it off for 2 years or more. That I personally think is inspirational.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I don't disagree on lean and appearance, but that has more to do with nutrition (as we in MFP land know) than actual exercise.
    One could get lean and look better by just eating less with no exercise at all.

IDEA Fitness member

thats true, but i'm simply saying its one means of assessing someones level of fitness, flawed tho it maybe.

but thats besides the point. i'm simply saying the instructor should have something to back them up, wether that be thier body as a walking advertisment, word of mouth from happy customers, or maybe even just being that physically impressive in whatever class they are instructing
  • Val8less
    Val8less Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that it does turn me off to see overweight fitness instructors...My BAD...but I cannot trust someone who does not practice what they preach!
    Fit instructors Motivate me..and challenge me to do better...
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I had a slightly over weight instructor back in the day when I used to do aerobics. He was fit though, high energy and would say hilarious things to motivate people such as, "slim is in and fat is out!"... and when someone was struggling (normally a thin girl), he would say, "You are fat on the inside! let's go!"... Everyone appreciated him because he was obviously fat and saying all this was just hilarious. Another very ripped instructor tried this approach and the members didn't take unto him too kindly... lol. The point of the matter is, if the instructor is fit and know how to energize the class, I'll definitely sign up to join. However, if the instructor is ripped and doesn't engage or motivate the class, I will not join. I prefer a high intensity class, no matter who is teaching.
  • mandymack14
    mandymack14 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I'd find out who was looking after the dentist with good teeth, and go to that person!
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on where I am in my goals. I would want a fitness instructor who could keep up with me, at least. I don't have any problems with overweight fitness instructors, but I think they can better help people who are also overweight. But I am talking seriously overweight, like 50+ pounds to lose. Not like, has an extra 5 pounds or whatever.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have to admit that it does turn me off to see overweight fitness instructors...My BAD...but I cannot trust someone who does not practice what they preach!
    Fit instructors Motivate me..and challenge me to do better...
    You're motivated by the "look". Hate to tell you that you could do the same exact workout and look NOTHING like them. You could even eat exactly like they do an look nothing like them.
    Mark Rippetoe is considered a great coach and trainer. Even well versed people in fitness like to attend his seminars. But dude is definitely a bit overweight and looks nothing like an athlete.

IDEA Fitness member