Overweight fitness instructors

Options

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I've considered getting certified to teach Zumba because so many plus size friends tell me they would love to try, but they are intimidated by a skinny trainer. And I'm one of the best in my class even though I'm usually one of the largest! One friend jokes that "when I see skinny people at the gym, I feel bad about myself. I want to tell them, go home, you've made it! Let me get there, too!" The reality is feeling intimidated about your size and fitness level is a huge barrier to starting to exercise. So, if I see a larger instructor, it is inspiring to me. If he/she has enough stamina and experience to lead the class, it makes me feel inspired. If they can do it, so can I!

Those people are not intimidated. They're envious. People who are intimidated don't want to tell someone "go home, you've made it" and certainly wouldn't feel like their progress is being blocked by that person being at the gym with the "let me get there too". If you're looking at someone's body and want them to go home until you look like they do, that is envy. You want what they have. If you feel better about yourself when you're with people whom you think don't look good, what does that say about you and what you think of the people around you?

(General use of you, not directed at anyone specific)

People who are intimidated, cover up more, don't dance as hard, hide in the back or the side of the room. They don't wish the fit people would leave. They're worried about being giggled at and judged. They're worried about what people think of them.
  • VelveteenArabian
    Options
    What if these trainers have medical issues that prevent them from losing weight easily? PCOS, thyroid, etc? You never know what is going on in a person's life.

Exactly. And as others have mentioned, you never know if this person used to be a lot heavier and successfully lost weight. I work at a facility where there are a variety of shapes and sizes in the members and also instructors. People want a good workout. They want a motivating and inspiring instructor. Appearance helps but it's not everything. I've been surprised before when taking classes from a larger instructor who taught a killer class.

If an instructor had lost a lot of weight, especially through their program, wouldn't they advertise the hell out of that? That just screams "look at how effective this program is" and would surely draw more positive attention to the class.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I can certainly understand why someone would be hesitant to take a class or get instruction that isn't what we believe is fit. But different disciplines of weightlifting and fitness have different physiques. I would look at the individual for the results they get. Some people have their own challenges, i.e medical issues, injuries etc. But the bottom line is do you feel comfortable with the plan the instructor puts forward and has the instructor gotten the results you are seeking in the past?
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Even just the title on this thread makes me laugh. Therefore, yeah, I'd avoid that class. When I think about why; I'd rather have somebody that I could see being EXPERIENCED in that type of exercise to TEACH me how to correctly do it.

I feel like the term "overweight fitness instructor" is quite an oxymoron...

Well now it seems like you've quite contradicted yourself. You state that you want someone who is experienced and who can teach you correctly how to do something. What if the slightly overweight instructor has a ton of experience and is very knowledgeable in what they are doing? What if the instructor was on the thin side with no muscles but again, had knowledge and knew what they were talking about? Would you still not go to them based purely on looks?

On the flip side a person who is super buff and "looks the part" could have zero knowledge on what to do. Believe me I know instructors who are fit that know squat about what they are teaching.

So really, you can't judge a book by its cover.

I'm trying to see it your way. Really, excellent points. But be it shallow or naive; I still think it would deter me. I just want someone who looks as capable as they are. Horrible, I know. :(

I have yet to read the boxing page... Maybe it will convince me.

not picking on you but when one is young, they are immature, naive, and short-sided. They are also in the best shape of their life and driven more by looks than anything. More realistic views on life gathered through education, life's experiences, etc is gathered and views are changed when you are older. So these are simply your views now, lets wait and see what they are 10 years from now.
  • butterflies4freedom
    Options
    well said @Marycmeadows, well said!! I couldn't agree more. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    If an instructor had lost a lot of weight, especially through their program, wouldn't they advertise the hell out of that? That just screams "look at how effective this program is" and would surely draw more positive attention to the class.
    Not always the truth though. We HAD a cycling instructor who was a little over weight and then started to lose weight. When asked what program she was on, she stated an "MLM" program. Next thing you know, all this advertisement for product was being slung around the gym. She had to be let go, due to numerous members complaining.
    And those "in the know" people knew she just lost weight by consuming less calories and NOT because of the MLM program she was on and promoting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    A moderately overweight instructor? A group exercise class? I might raise an eyebrow, but I'd give them a fair chance because their responsibility is to lead the class in a fun, challenging workout, not to counsel individuals on diet or how to lose weight.

I probably wouldn't trust an overweight personal trainer though, as their responsibilities usually include more of a weight loss and nutrition scope, and how can you follow their advice if either a) they're not taking their own advice, or b) it's not working for them?

I agree with this. When I started with my personal trainer, people would ask me if he was in shape. It took me by surprise and my answer was "Should a trust a trainer that doesn't look like they are in shape?" All of the trainers that have worked at the gym I go to look like they are in great shape. But then, I look at myself, I am definitely not thin, I am in the overweight category, but I can do a lot more in the gym that some of the people that look like they are in better shape than me. My diet just isn't what it should be. Working on that harder now.
  • VelveteenArabian
    Options
    Not always the truth though. We HAD a cycling instructor who was a little over weight and then started to lose weight. When asked what program she was on, she stated an "MLM" program. Next thing you know, all this advertisement for product was being slung around the gym. She had to be let go, due to numerous members complaining.
    And those "in the know" people knew she just lost weight by consuming less calories and NOT because of the MLM program she was on and promoting.

IDEA Fitness member

My fault, I meant whatever workout program they were teaching, not a crazy meal program. Like if an instructor lost a bunch of weight teaching Zumba or PiYo or whatever, I would think they would advertise that and say "look how awesome this workout is and what it did for me" kind of thing.
  • kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Actually the skinny doctor who has never struggled with their weight and who don't understand the challenges are some of the worst at counseling patients on weight loss. My previous Doc was like that totally clueless when it came to weight management. Just didn't get it.
  • ChristinaDawn7
    ChristinaDawn7 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have only read half of these comments, some are discouraging. I teach a zumba class once a week (yes I get paid) and I'm 50 pounds overweight. I have an average of 10 people in my class and they love me. We all get a great workout. I do feel self-conscious though and wish I was thinner. Honestly I only exercise sometimes that one time a week, this is just a side job.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I have only read half of these comments, some are discouraging. I teach a zumba class once a week (yes I get paid) and I'm 50 pounds overweight. I have an average of 10 people in my class and they love me. We all get a great workout. I do feel self-conscious though and wish I was thinner. Honestly I only exercise sometimes that one time a week, this is just a side job.

don't feel discouraged. Read the other replies, many people say it doesn't matter :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If I were only to rely on my "look" and not my knowledge to instruct, I might be an unemployed trainer/instructor according to some of the detractors on here. Luckily I get endorsed all the time by people who get RESULTS from my instruction and not because "eye candy" is a better gauge for some to select who is the better trainer.
    Experience means a lot which is why many coaches and instructors of practically any sport DON'T resemble what they looked like in their 20's, yet have GREAT capability of teaching and instructing those to become the best that they can be.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Look at from this angle:

-If your out of shape taking a class form a beefoid or barbie doll that doesn't resemble and average person can be off putting.
    -A lot of men and women would be more comfortable with someone of a more average stature and size. They want to look at the instructor and say ya I can realistically see myself getting there.

If the instructor was morbidly obese that could be an issue but I think it would help to have a body shape the client might realistically be able to achieve.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference to me. I have met many overweight fitness instructors who have superior endurance and strength compared to me, so I learn from them.

Very much this ^ ^ ^

My water aerobics instructor is a bit overweight and she is a great instructor. She teaches 4 classes a day, 3 days a week (an hour each class) and teaches private swimming lessons. She also had a hip replaced and was back to teaching within 6 weeks.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Look at from this angle:

-If your out of shape taking a class form a beefoid or barbie doll that doesn't resemble and average person can be off putting.
    -A lot of men and women would be more comfortable with someone of a more average stature and size. They want to look at the instructor and say ya I can realistically see myself getting there.

If the instructor was morbidly obese that could be an issue but I think it would help to have a body shape the client might realistically be able to achieve.
    One thing I will say: A fitness instructor SHOULD be able to perform whatever movement they are teaching. If not, it may be hard for followers to envision the correct form to be done.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    As a personal trainer and group fitness instructor I can offer this: I am currently about 20lbs overweight. Not due to eating or my workout but due to medicine I was placed on by my doctor. Fortunately I am now off but the weight is slow to come off. So I may not look super lean or ripped but mentally I know how to bring a good workout to my clients and classes. I understand their struggles more now than ever. I am taking my weight off slowly and in a healthy fashion and hope I can show them through my own personal journey that it is possible to reach their goals. But it can be hurtful when I see people judging me at the gym. I just remind myself they do not know my medical history and my struggle.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I thought I was at the MFP boards. So according to this thread only those with a normal BMI should be allowed to give advice. Point taken.

I could never think less of someone because of their weight. I never want to be that kind of person.
  • p_emmel5
    p_emmel5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This has been an interesting and eye opening topic. Never really thought about why the instructor might be in the condition they are and I guess if they are good enough for the gym to utilize they are good enough to give a chance. Like I posted eariler, either intentional or untentionally, in my mind the bar would be set higher for them to reach than a fit looking instructor. I don't mean to offend, but that's how my mind works. Just like if my nutritionist was over weight I probably wouldn't buy in 100% to her advice.

The OP ask if you would be turned off by an unfit looking instructor, not if they can do the job. I won't say I would be turned off to a class, but to be perfectly honest I would be skeptical going into it. But, one thing we all know is that looks can be deceiving. For all the old guys remember the Chicago Bear Refrigerator Perry? Yes, kids the name fit he was huge. He could jump up on a 44" tall table without taking a step.