Overweight fitness instructors

Options

Replies

• tallgirlshelley
    tallgirlshelley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I "teach" a Zumba class now and then and I'm a good 30 pounds over my goal weight. I also have lost over 40 and kept it off for about 6 years. I live in a teeny town and my class is offered for free through the school district's Adult Education program. There is no one coming to my class that expects to see a stick girl teaching my class. We are all just there to shake our hineys and have some fun.

BUT, if I had to charge for my class or depend on teaching for my income, I would definitely feel the pressure to be in better shape and at a smaller size. "For fun" and "for pay" are big differences. I am paying my $30/mth for my Zumba membership and choreo DVDs and I would probably feel a little ripped off if the instructors on my videos were lardbutts and not dancing at full-on intensity.

To each their own.

I'm sad that someone who lost 40 lbs would call another another overweight person a lardbutt. I'm about at the half-weight mark (230 lbs vs. 117.5 lbs) and when I first started losing weight made a very conscious decision to never forget.

That was just in fun. I've been overweight my whole life. I would never make fun of someone else for being in the same boat. I wasn't calling anyone a lardbutt and never would. I said "if" they were. Hey. I'm nearly obese in my BMI and not one to point fingers or call names. It was supposed to be in jest. I admit I'm a little warped, but usually in the self-deprecating manor. I tell my friends I shop in the "fat lady section". It isn't a blow to anyone else. Just my own way of being silly. I (heart) overweight fitness instructors. And firemen. And teachers...
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Most of the personal trainers I see at my gym are pretty much ripped. My own trainer is ripped and has been asked to compete in fitness competitions. However, there is one female trainer I see there all the time who is a bit overweight. She's got kind of a big build to start with, but she definitely has some excess fat in addition to her muscles. When I first saw her, I was surprised, then I figured that she may have started out much heavier, then worked very hard to get fit and knowledgeable enough to be a trainer.

As far as class teachers, the yoga teachers I've seen are petite, lean, and flexible. The Zumba teachers vary; some are very fit and have figures I envy, but there is one who is just what I'd call average. She's a mom in her 40s, she's a very good teacher. She just doesn't look like what some might expect a fitness instructor to look like.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Most of the personal trainers I see at my gym are pretty much ripped. My own trainer is ripped and has been asked to compete in fitness competitions. However, there is one female trainer I see there all the time who is a bit overweight. She's got kind of a big build to start with, but she definitely has some excess fat in addition to her muscles. When I first saw her, I was surprised, then I figured that she may have started out much heavier, then worked very hard to get fit and knowledgeable enough to be a trainer.

As far as class teachers, the yoga teachers I've seen are petite, lean, and flexible. The Zumba teachers vary; some are very fit and have figures I envy, but there is one who is just what I'd call average. She's a mom in her 40s, she's a very good teacher. She just doesn't look like what some might expect a fitness instructor to look like.

Hahaha....I had posted my point of view on this early on in this conversation...
    Sorry for quoting this post, I don't mean to pick on you or your post, but it's perfect to show again, how silly it can be to judge a trainer by his/her body fat....IMHO...

To all those, who remember the vivid debates on MFP about how 'you can't build lean muscle, unless you eat at surplus':

If all the ripped fitness instructors suddenly decide to compete in a heavier weight class, are you going to dump them for putting on some serious mass?
    Do you think, Phil Heath is building and maintaining muscle out of thin air? Not likely.... You going to recognize competitors, that you've seen on pics, in the gym during off season? Not likely....
    The heavy lady instructor could be competing in physique or bodybuilding...or powerlifting...who knows, just ask.... Only few trainers I know, will actually do their own workouts alongside their customers. They do their workouts at different times, and probably at a much higher level than most of us. Want to know, if they have a clue about lifting? Come in early and watch them train.....
    And then look at them again 2 weeks out from their competition....proceed with caution, though....at this time, they'll be much bigger, lean, mean, and hungry.....lol
  • sqveeze
    sqveeze Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Opting out of a class because the instructor is overweight means you are projecting your own fitness insecurities onto another person without having any idea whether or not they share your goals. Not everybody strives to be thin. Believe it or not, some people prize strength, agility, and endurance more than a lower body weight.There is a lot more to fitness than size.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough I was getting ready for a class at my local gym last night and I overheard two women being given the gym 'tour' to see if they wanted to join. They were explaining to the guy showing them around that they were leaving their last gym because the lady who's classes they took had gotten "too thin" and proceeded to show him photos of her on their phones. The weight debate clearly swings both ways.
  • fwhittaker
    fwhittaker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Personally I would like it. As many have said here, it doesn't equate to them being a bad instructor.

Anyway, don't they say a chef never cooks at home?
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    when i was an undergrad i used to go to the spinning classes pretty regular at my university's gym. the instructor who kicked *kitten* the most and gave me the best workout was legitimately overweight. although, i think she had been even more so, and had actually lost some from her highest weight.

nevertheless, she definitely led the hardest classes.
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    doesnt bother me. as long as they can do and teach the workout properly. you'd be surprised how overweight you can be and still be completely awesome at a workout. i'm still categorized as obese for another 10 kg (22 lbs) and i can run for 30 mins without stopping to walk. i never even thought that it was possible for someone as obese as me to do that until i did it. dont judge a book by its cover!
  • healthyhayles
    Options
    This thread is pretty discouraging. I'm getting ready to start studying for my ACE test (personal training) and I'm currently still overweight. However, I was once 80 lbs heavier, I've committed to a healthier lifestyle and my habits and coping skills are BY FAR better than they were 5 years ago. I've run a marathon, 4 half marathons and I can lift.

It makes me really sad that I feel like I'd have to give my entire history in order for someone to give me a chance. I'm human just like everyone else. I'm not perfect. I deal with binge and emotional eating and depression. If anything, I think it makes be BETTER equipped to work with certain types of people. I believe in people feeling strong and capable -- no matter where they are starting.

^^ Love this!

I must admit, I was a little biased before heading into my gym and being instructed by a slightly overweight lady. She teaches Pump (and Step too apparently) and MAN is she knowledgeable and really caring towards her students! I did a Pump class with her today and she took the time to make sure all participants had the correct form and technique to reduce injury. Upon asking her questions before and after, she's always given me great advice and really known her stuff. As well as this, her endurance is amazing and I really look up to her because of what she can do. She's really inspiring! I've found her to be even more motivational and helpful than some 'thin' instructors, because she really takes the time to get to know you and form connections within the group and truly teach you.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I swim at a pool and one of the lifeguards is 80 pounds overweight easy.

Swimming laps is the EASIEST way to lose weight, and the guard is fat.

It might have been an equal opportunity deal. The county didn't want to discriminate against fat people.

But, seriously, sitting around watching people losing weight and getting into shape by swimming laps, you would think she would get a clue.

Just to point out a lifeguard isn't a swim/fitness instructor. Also I used to lifeguard and there is nothing that put me off swimming casually more, it was so difficult to go to a pool and switch off and just swim I was constantly alert it was exhausting.

Some of these instructors have come through a crappy personal journey themselves so dismissing their knowledge and training because they don't 'look the part' is pretty hurtful and arrogant. However, if I felt that I couldn't learn from them because as someone else said I couldn't see the move or form correctly then I would have a problem, aside from that I don't care what they look like.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    What if these trainers have medical issues that prevent them from losing weight easily? PCOS, thyroid, etc? You never know what is going on in a person's life.

I despise these excuses. 'harder' does not equate at all with 'impossible'.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

That was just in fun. I've been overweight my whole life. I would never make fun of someone else for being in the same boat. I wasn't calling anyone a lardbutt and never would. I said "if" they were. Hey. I'm nearly obese in my BMI and not one to point fingers or call names. It was supposed to be in jest. I admit I'm a little warped, but usually in the self-deprecating manor. I tell my friends I shop in the "fat lady section". It isn't a blow to anyone else. Just my own way of being silly. I (heart) overweight fitness instructors. And firemen. And teachers...

Ok we can be friends then :laugh:
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    What if these trainers have medical issues that prevent them from losing weight easily? PCOS, thyroid, etc? You never know what is going on in a person's life.

I despise these excuses. 'harder' does not equate at all with 'impossible'.
    i agree with this.
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I had a slightly over weight instructor back in the day when I used to do aerobics. He was fit though, high energy and would say hilarious things to motivate people such as, "slim is in and fat is out!"... and when someone was struggling (normally a thin girl), he would say, "You are fat on the inside! let's go!"... Everyone appreciated him because he was obviously fat and saying all this was just hilarious. Another very ripped instructor tried this approach and the members didn't take unto him too kindly... lol. The point of the matter is, if the instructor is fit and know how to energize the class, I'll definitely sign up to join. However, if the instructor is ripped and doesn't engage or motivate the class, I will not join. I prefer a high intensity class, no matter who is teaching.

Same here. I took a Zumba class once with an instructor who was a bit overweight and her class was 10x better/harder/intense than another instructor who the majority here would consider "fit".
  • tallgirlshelley
    tallgirlshelley Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Ok we can be friends then :laugh:

Yay! :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I was in Japan in the Early 70's. Studying Karate under a person the was not only a Master, but would be considered obese by today's standards.

I didn't have the ability to choose who I studied under back then, but if I hadn't had the Master Fusei Kise as an instructor, I wouldn't be as good as I am today, 42 years later.

Google him. He's still around.

Try to look past the superficial, people.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I just did classes two days in a row with a substitute instructor. She is a Latina with a "thick" body. Yesterday was supposed to be pilates, but she called it "core"; we were doing crunches and planks until we ached. Today, kickboxing, and she knocked us out. Also, certain ethnicities have heavier body types; does that mean we shouldn't train with them? A heavier body does not always mean an unfit one.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I just did classes two days in a row with a substitute instructor. She is a Latina with a "thick" body. Yesterday was supposed to be pilates, but she called it "core"; we were doing crunches and planks until we ached. Today, kickboxing, and she knocked us out. Also, certain ethnicities have heavier body types; does that mean we shouldn't train with them? A heavier body does not always mean an unfit one.

ummm...

wow....

:huh:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

ummm...

wow....

:huh:

Remember, that one time, Arnold said latinas have very hot blood.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Actually the skinny doctor who has never struggled with their weight and who don't understand the challenges are some of the worst at counseling patients on weight loss. My previous Doc was like that totally clueless when it came to weight management. Just didn't get it.

This, this and so much this. Fitness instructor that weighs about what I need to lose? My "First Impression" (since they are what we're talking about here) is that he/she has no idea what someone of my size is struggling with and is, at best, not going to connect with me in any material fashion, and (more likely) is going to intimidate the hell out of me or make me feel unwelcome.

I think the idea that a fitness instructor should be close to a perfect example is honestly offensive. Should they be a great teacher at what they're teaching? absolutely. can they do that and be 100# overweight - you better believe it. Fitness instruction is about 70% personality, 30% actual skills (that's not meant to be a jab at instructors, quite the opposite, in fact). If an instructor can't connect and motivate their students, then they can't do their job, no matter how skinny/fat they are.

Personally - I'll give anyone a chance, but a "shining example of fitness" is going to have a much harder time connecting with people that need the most help.