Fitness Devices Garmin/Polar/Bodymedia etc. - Ask Me

Options
I've realized over the years I've tried a number of fitness devices. I thought I might be able to answer a technical question you might have, or maybe what my opinion was. I'm not in the fitness industry. I'm an Electrical Engineer. My thesis was a tremor data logger for Parkinson's disease patients. We used chips, such as an accelerometer (10 years ago before it was a buzz word), to come up with a prototype. I've used the following devices:

-Polar F6 (it was great, but I retired it)
-Garmin Forerunner 305 (got this because it was dirt cheap, the Heart Rate strap works with my Vivofit)
-Jawbone UP (the original which was more or less recalled. The only thing good about this was the silent alarm)
-Striiv (this was novel because of the charity aspect, mini games, and the challenges I could set with my wife)
-Nike+ Footpod and GPS (Footpod is in my training shoe)
-BodyMedia Fit (I love technology, and this was medically accurate based on White Papers I read. It was bulky and because it used "METs", would pick up exercising while I was driving...so that was annoying)
-Polar RS300x (Still use this with cardio machines when I feel like having the machine control the speed or resistance based on my Heart Rate)
-Wii U Fit Pedometer (What can I say, I'm a gamer)
-Garmin Vivofit (I like this very much after a few months using it)

I know a lot of these devices go hand in hand with Operating Systems such as Android, Windows, Windows Phone, iOS, OSX... so you can always ask about that in relation to a device.

So ask away. If I have a comment, I'll give one. I'm not all knowing, but I can always try and give an opinion.

Replies

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    I'm looking to get a heart rate monitor to track my workouts and calories burned. I'm looking at the Polar FT4 but also considering the Loop - any comments or suggestions?
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7 <3
  • ck1223
    ck1223 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to get a heart rate monitor to track my workouts and calories burned. I'm looking at the Polar FT4 but also considering the Loop - any comments or suggestions?

Oh boy, these are two very different things. The Polar Loop is meant to be worn all day, where an FT4 would really only be when you're exercising since it's main use is Heart Rate which needs a chest strap.

-=Polar FT4=-
    My wife has this one. It's a no frills heart rate monitor and she loves it. If it's your first device, this might be the way to go without too much distraction and fiddling with menus. The higher up models tend to have more bells and whistles that you might not care for. The "best" feature for me on a higher up model is you can test your VO2Max level which can help it zone in on a more accurate calorie burn. However, what I've read up on is that VO2max is usually considered only necessary for athletes and the average joe such as myself doesn't really need it. FT4 is a great starter model no doubt.

The Heart Rate chest strap will work with most gym machines. I like this because the machine will set your target heart rate based on your goal, age and weight. It will then adjust either speed, incline, resistance (treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike) constantly to keep you at your target heart rate.

The watch is waterproof. You can take the watch swimming provided you don't press any buttons in the water. I don't know for certain if you can take the chest strap for laps in the pool. Reading the manual quickly seems to imply that you can.
    I did take my old F6 for laps in the pool back in the day (even though it never said you could).

You should get about a year or more on battery life for the watch, and 2 years from the chest strap.

-=Polar Loop=-
    Keep in mind, I've never used one, but I did think about getting one. For me it was too flashy, and looks too bulky. Also, battery life isn't the greatest. I'm biased here because my Vivofit battery lasts a year. The wristband needs to be cut to size, and I dislike permanently modifying things. However, I've heard Polar will send you a new strap if you cut it incorrect.

With all that said, let me think of some pluses. It's waterproof. You can pair a Polar Bluetooth Chest strap to it which in turn can be paired with some mobile phones so that your Heart Rate shows up on your phone. Of course, you're now looking at close to $200 for the Loop with a chest strap vs around $100 for the FT4 combo.

Bluetooth Chest straps will not work with Gym Machines (I havn't seen one that will) so you lose that automatic functionality that the FT4 has with gym machines.

I'm not doing a very good job here talking about the Polar Loop here since I haven't used one :P...

Let me summarize this:

FT4 - PROs: Works with most (more like 99%) cardio machines. Waterproof (read the manual). Battery lasts a long long time.
    CONs: Not a 24/7 fitness tracker if that's what you're looking for. Included Heart Rate Strap will not work with mobile phones.

Polar Loop - PROs: 24/7 Fitness tracker. Waterproof. You can pair a heart rate strap monitor for when you're doing more than just walking around. The chest strap will work with a number of mobile devices.
    CONs: The loop will need charging often. Likely weekly. The chest strap is a separate purchase. The chest strap will not work with cardio machines at the gym.

Well, I hope that's clearer than mud. It sounds to me you only care about calories at the gym, so an FT4 is probably best. Keep in mind, calorie tracking with a HRM is best when doing cardio, and not lifting weights.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll try and keep my reply shorter lol.
  • ThatDoll
    ThatDoll Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of buying the New Balance N4.... Is it worth it? Or should I just save up more and get a Polar FT4? What's the difference between the two?
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I just would like to add something that might turn out to be important: should you ever be interested in running, jogging..hiking...then one with GPS functionality is worth considering as it gives you data re distance, speed, route, altitude...some models have gps included in the sports watch while for others you have a separate gps unit to carry with you.

Also one more point: should you be on iPhone you can download the Polarbeat app for free, buy yourself a heart rate monitor (not the watch) and use this combined with the app. There are other apps out there that can do the same thing.

Stef.
  • ck1223
    Options
    I just would like to add something that might turn out to be important: should you ever be interested in running, jogging..hiking...then one with GPS functionality is worth considering as it gives you data re distance, speed, route, altitude...some models have gps included in the sports watch while for others you have a separate gps unit to carry with you.

Also one more point: should you be on iPhone you can download the Polarbeat app for free, buy yourself a heart rate monitor (not the watch) and use this combined with the app. There are other apps out there that can do the same thing.

Stef.

Hi Stef, thanks for the input and that is a good point. Apple users should be aware though that you require at least an iPhone 4s for that functionality since earlier models to not have the appropriate Bluetooth chip. Not everyone has this, nor looking to buy a new phone to obtain that functionality. Also, as stated above, if you're looking for your heart rate strap to work with gym equipment, the Polar Bluetooth strap will not work.
  • ck1223
    Options
    I'm thinking of buying the New Balance N4.... Is it worth it? Or should I just save up more and get a Polar FT4? What's the difference between the two?

Unfortunately I have zero experience with New Balance HRMs. They could very well be outsourcing their product to Polar, or another manufacturer and re-branding.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Currently have a fitbit flex, which I do like for the most part, but miss having a wristwatch and would like some additional functionality. Was looking at the Garmin Vivofit or Vivosmart. Is the Garmin connect app similar to the fitbit update? I like the built in gps etc. but miss having heart rate functionality etc.
  • ck1223
    Options
    Currently have a fitbit flex, which I do like for the most part, but miss having a wristwatch and would like some additional functionality. Was looking at the Garmin Vivofit or Vivosmart. Is the Garmin connect app similar to the fitbit update? I like the built in gps etc. but miss having heart rate functionality etc.

Hi Marilyn,

One thing that stood out from your comment was the "built in gps". The Vivosmart, nor the Vivofit unfortunately do not have an integrated GPS.

The Vivosmart and the Vivofit are very similar.

-=Vivosmart=-
    Displays steps, calories, distance and time of day
    Vibration alerts for calls, texts and emails from your smartphone
    Easy operation using touch and swipe
    Pairs with heart rate monitor for fitness activities
    Inactivity alert reminds you to move
    Auto goal keeps you challenged

-=Vivofit=-
    Learns your activity level and assigns a personalized daily goal
    Displays steps, calories, distance; monitors sleep
    Pairs with heart rate monitor for fitness activities
    1+ year battery life; water-resistant²
    Save, plan and share progress at Garmin Connect™

Yes yes, I more or less copied those from Garmin's website...

They both look to be on par. Both are water-resistant to 50m, can pair with a Bluetooth Ant+ Heart Rate Stap...

One thing I will note, is that Vivofit display is not backlit in anyway. So in really dim light, you can't read the display (that doesn't bother me, and I've been wearing mine for months now).

The Vivosmart uses an OLED display, so you can see time in the dark. You can also control music on your phone, have vibration alerts.. you can see some more differences with the below links.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/health-fitness/vivofit-/into-sports/health-fitness/vivosmart-/prod154886.html

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/health-fitness/vivofit-/prod143405.html

The Vivofit is being used on this Seasons Biggest Loser, just an FYI. So there's some advertising (credibility?) for them.

I haven't used the Fitbit update app, but I imagine they are similar in nature. Identifying calories burned, steps taken etc..Since Fitbit has been in the pedometer game longer, they likely have a more polished interface.

So I'd boil it down to... do you want much longer battery life with no charging (1 year+)? or alerts from your phone, readability in low light, the ability to skip music tracks, and vibration alerts with a $40 premium?

Hopefully that helped, let me know if you have any other questions.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    What I want is something that..
    1. Tracks my lap swims like the Garmin Swim Watch
    2. Has an integrated GPS
    3. Also tracks my open water swims
    4. Can track my runs
    5. Includes a heart rate monitor that also works under water.

To my knowledge, no product that includes all of these features exists.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    2. Has an integrated GPS
    4. Can track my runs

I believe the Suunto Ambit3 Multisport will do everything you need.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hello! :)

I'm in the Navy and stationed on a ship currently. I have a fitbit, which I love, but if I'm out at sea for longer than 7 days at a time then I start losing the minute by minute data and if I'm out for more than 30 days at a time I start losing daily totals. We have (unreliable and slow) wired internet on the government computers, but no wireless internet to allow my fitbit to connect with my phone. I'm also not allowed to plug anything into the USB ports on the government computers (they had an issue with someone trying to hack computers via a USB device so now no one is allowed to use the USBs, just CDs).

I do bring my laptop to the ship with me for DVDs/movies and such. Is there a device out there that's a little more old-school where I can download the information on my computer without needing bluetooth or the internet? So then I can still see progress and daily data. My only idea now is to write down my totals each night from my fitbit and plug it into the website by hand, but if I forget then I lose a day.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    2. Has an integrated GPS
    4. Can track my runs

Wow! Thank you!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    2. Has an integrated GPS
    4. Can track my runs

Wow! Thank you!

Hmm, I thought when I did a comparasion before that the Ambit didn't have the same swim features. I did a double check on DC Rainmaker and it appears I was wrong.

The Garmin 910 xt also offers these features.

review is here (he also does a Suunato review)
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth-review.html

If you scroll down there is a comparasion chart that compares the Garmin to the Ambit 3 Sport and Ambit 3 Peak.

ETA - I see that Garmin doesn't have HR underwater. Now I am wondering why I decided to go with the 910xt (I didn't buy it yet).
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I thought when I did a comparasion before that the Ambit didn't have the same swim features. I did a double check on DC Rainmaker and it appears I was wrong.

The Garmin 910 xt also offers these features.

review is here (he also does a Suunato review)
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth-review.html

If you scroll down there is a comparasion chart that compares the Garmin to the Ambit 3 Sport and Ambit 3 Peak.

ETA - I see that Garmin doesn't have HR underwater. Now I am wondering why I decided to go with the 910xt (I didn't buy it yet).

As afar as I know the Suunto is the only one compatible with an underwater Hr. Though I'm sure Garmin will have one soon enough, perhaps a version of the Fenix or the 910xt replacement?
  • ck1223
    Options

910XT can monitor stroke count, the Suunto can't. Here's a statement from Suunto

"The accelerometer in the Ambit is currently not able to provide stroke or cadence information, although all feedback is taken into consideration when developing future updates."

Perhaps that is the reason?

The Suunto also can't transmit LIVE HR data in water because it's Bluetooth. Bluetooth is too weak to send signals in water. That's why Gamrin can't do it either 'cause it's also Bluetooth. However, Suunto gets around this because it's HRM strap has memory to store the HR data it in the chest strap for syncing when it can communicate.

So if you're swimming indoors, you won't know much about your training except Heart Rate with the Suunto.
  • ck1223
    Options
    Hello! :)

I'm in the Navy and stationed on a ship currently. I have a fitbit, which I love, but if I'm out at sea for longer than 7 days at a time then I start losing the minute by minute data and if I'm out for more than 30 days at a time I start losing daily totals. We have (unreliable and slow) wired internet on the government computers, but no wireless internet to allow my fitbit to connect with my phone. I'm also not allowed to plug anything into the USB ports on the government computers (they had an issue with someone trying to hack computers via a USB device so now no one is allowed to use the USBs, just CDs).

I do bring my laptop to the ship with me for DVDs/movies and such. Is there a device out there that's a little more old-school where I can download the information on my computer without needing bluetooth or the internet? So then I can still see progress and daily data. My only idea now is to write down my totals each night from my fitbit and plug it into the website by hand, but if I forget then I lose a day.

This is quite the challenge. 24/7 monitoring devices are a new category. They take advantage of the lower power Bluetooth (BT) requires, and thus use that to transmit data while keeping things waterproof (they say water-resistant). Since they're BT, they essentially assume you have a smartphone to sync, but most will come with a BT dongle to sync with a computer just in case. Unfortunately they assume you have internet access. Based on what's out there, it doesn't look like anything stores more than 30 days of data.

Curious, I tested my Vivofit with my computer without an internet connection, and it said it "sync'd", but it didn't get my "GOALS" from Garmin connect. That's because the GOALS are stored online. Though I haven't tested it fully, it's possible that the Garmin sync software will store your armband info on the computer until it gets internet access. So it appears this might be a solution. You won't see your data on the computer until you can access Garmin Connect, but at least you won't lose the info. The Vivofit stores 30 days of data before you start losing info.

This is still a theory, more testing would be needed. Or a question sent to Garmin.

Since you can't plug anything into USB ports, your laptop will need the appropriate Bluetooth connection built-in.

Other than that, it looks like you might be out of luck :(
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That's why Gamrin can't do it either 'cause it's also Bluetooth.

Incorrect. The 910xt uses ANT+ to communicate with the HRM. Unfortunately, this also doesn't work underwater.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options

Stef.

Good suggestions Stef, thank you. I was thinking about just starting out with a heart rate monitor like the H7 and connecting to my Samsung S4 on an app and then perhaps looking at choosing a watch that I could wear for sports at a later date and then looking at one with GPS - good suggestion.

If anyone else has any good suggestions for a good watch for cardio activities, feel free to chime in. Loving the discussions on here!!
  • ck1223
    Options
    That's why Gamrin can't do it either 'cause it's also Bluetooth.

Incorrect. The 910xt uses ANT+ to communicate with the HRM. Unfortunately, this also doesn't work underwater.

You're right, I had Ant+ written there before posting, but I just didn't want to confuse things buy bringing up Ant+ when my ultimate conclusion was that it doesn't work underwater. Bluetooth can be paired with Ant+ on the same chip, you just need the proper drivers. They're both lower power transmission technologies.