Fitness Devices Garmin/Polar/Bodymedia etc. - Ask Me

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ETA - I see that Garmin doesn't have HR underwater. Now I am wondering why I decided to go with the 910xt (I didn't buy it yet).

910XT can monitor stroke count, the Suunto can't. Here's a statement from Suunto

"The accelerometer in the Ambit is currently not able to provide stroke or cadence information, although all feedback is taken into consideration when developing future updates."

Perhaps that is the reason?

The Suunto also can't transmit LIVE HR data in water because it's Bluetooth. Bluetooth is too weak to send signals in water. That's why Gamrin can't do it either 'cause it's also Bluetooth. However, Suunto gets around this because it's HRM strap has memory to store the HR data it in the chest strap for syncing when it can communicate.

So if you're swimming indoors, you won't know much about your training except Heart Rate with the Suunto.

Yes! That is it. Stroke count. I don't know how I forgot that. Oh yeah - new baby, no sleep.

I prefer that over HRM.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    910XT can monitor stroke count, the Suunto can't. Here's a statement from Suunto

"The accelerometer in the Ambit is currently not able to provide stroke or cadence information, although all feedback is taken into consideration when developing future updates."

The Suunto also can't transmit LIVE HR data in water because it's Bluetooth. Bluetooth is too weak to send signals in water. That's why Gamrin can't do it either 'cause it's also Bluetooth. However, Suunto gets around this because it's HRM strap has memory to store the HR data it in the chest strap for syncing when it can communicate.

So if you're swimming indoors, you won't know much about your training except Heart Rate with the Suunto.

This is interesting, both the DC Rainmaker site and the Suunto site show that the ambit3 is capable of stroke, laps and pace count for swimming. Am I missing something?

The main reason I would not buy a 910XT now is that it is 3 year old technology and there is supposed to be a new version coming out in the next few months. I imagine that version will be more on a par with the Ambit3 and more than likely surpass it in a number of areas.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

This is interesting, both the DC Rainmaker site and the Suunto site show that the ambit3 is capable of stroke, laps and pace count for swimming. Am I missing something?

The main reason I would not buy a 910XT now is that it is 3 year old technology and there is supposed to be a new version coming out in the next few months. I imagine that version will be more on a par with the Ambit3 and more than likely surpass it in a number of areas.

Good to know. I'll hold out on buying for a little while longer.
  • ck1223
    ck1223 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ETA - I see that Garmin doesn't have HR underwater. Now I am wondering why I decided to go with the 910xt (I didn't buy it yet).

Yes! That is it. Stroke count. I don't know how I forgot that. Oh yeah - new baby, no sleep.

I prefer that over HRM.

I dug around some more. The older models can't do stroke count. The Ambit3 can.

Thanks for that suggestion veloman21, that's a neat device.
  • veloman21
    Options

The other cool thing about the Ambit3 is that it is an activity tracker too.

My guess is that the next gen Garmins will have built in activity tracking as well as all the other run/swim/bike goodies. Something like the FR15 on steroids

I think there will also be much better connectivity (Bluetooth Smart) to allow live tracking and better integration with Connect and third party apps like MFP.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

The other cool thing about the Ambit3 is that it is an activity tracker too.

My guess is that the next gen Garmins will have built in activity tracking as well as all the other run/swim/bike goodies. Something like the FR15 on steroids

I think there will also be much better connectivity (Bluetooth Smart) to allow live tracking and better integration with Connect and third party apps like MFP.

Thanks for the info. I did the comparasion a few months ago and it seems the ambit3 is new. Definitely reconsidering.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am looking for the following.

1.Tracks my steps
    2. Has an integrated GPS
    3. Includes a heart rate monitor
    4. Does not need a Smartphone to use. I have a basic flip phone that I rarely use. I need something that I can plug into my PC to get the readings.

Is there anything like this?
  • veloman21
    Options

1.Tracks my steps
    2. Has an integrated GPS
    3. Includes a heart rate monitor
    4. Does not need a Smartphone to use. I have a basic flip phone that I rarely use. I need something that I can plug into my PC to get the readings.

The Garmin FR15 will do all those things.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Large-Black-Blue/dp/B00JQF6HHU
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Thinking to veer away from a tracker that I wear all day and only wear it during exercise. Specifically to track my heart rate (strap seems to be better than any wrist option) and better estimate my calories burned. What's the best option for me?
  • veloman21
    Options
    Thinking to veer away from a tracker that I wear all day and only wear it during exercise. Specifically to track my heart rate (strap seems to be better than any wrist option) and better estimate my calories burned. What's the best option for me?

What kind of exercise to you do primarily?
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options

Right now I'm doing Insanity, otherwise I usually lift weights, circuit training and cardio (usually on a machine).
  • veloman21
    Options

Right now I'm doing Insanity, otherwise I usually lift weights, circuit training and cardio (usually on a machine).

Really none of the devices on the market at the moment are suitable for those types of exercises. A plain vanilla HRM will record your HR but even that is not particularly accurate or useful for things like weight training or circuit training. If it's just to track your exercise calories, you may be better off to just use one of the online databases to calculate calorie burn. Otherwise maybe something like the Vivofit which you can wear 24/7 and which will record a separate activity based on HR when you put on the strap.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Okay, thanks for the input! Was thinking to get a heart rate monitor strap for now to link to my phone to stay in target ranges and then maybe getting a garmin watch down the road...perhaps the garmin vivofit.
  • JimmyDShoes
    Options
    I have a windows phone and am really interested in the vivosmart. I could care less about the app connectivity but i want to be able to use the text notification functionality. Do I NEED to have the app to be able to connect it to my phone?
  • veloman21
    Options
    I have a windows phone and am really interested in the vivosmart. I could care less about the app connectivity but i want to be able to use the text notification functionality. Do I NEED to have the app to be able to connect it to my phone?

I think you need the Garmin connect app (free) in order to configure the notifications. However, since it uses standard operating system platforms to deliver these, I believe it's only compatible with iOS and Android phones.
  • JimmyDShoes
    Options
    Any windows phone recommendations? I would like something similar worth notifications and such.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options

1.Tracks distance
    2.Tracks speed
    3. Tracks duration
    4. Is fairly small. ie, it can be clipped onto a top, or worn on the wrist
    5. Doesn't cost a bomb

I already have a HRM which meets my current needs, but have just started with running (in a running group). I'm not so concerned by the calories burned for that activity, as I am with progress about speed and distance.

• euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    PS. just wanted to add that there are some compatibility issues between bluetooth 4.0 and some android phones. I have an S3 mini, and I have a polar HRM, with Bluetooth 4.0, but I cannot connect the two as the bluetooth 4.0 just will not work on the S3 mini. I believe that the KitKat android upgrade was supposed to fix this bug, but then they decided not to roll it out to S3 mini's! :(
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Bump to capture for future reference...
  • veloman21
    Options
    Any windows phone recommendations? I would like something similar worth notifications and such.

The problem is that Windows Phonehas not been a very successful platform in the smartphone world (less than 3% marketshare) so very few companies are willing to devote development $ to creating a smartwatch with built in activity monitoring.

Microsoft appears to be readying a watch for this purpose but not sure when it will be available.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2014/05/29/exclusive-a-microsoft-smartwatch-is-coming/