Replies

• Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    =
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Although I am voicing concerns about the amount of homework I am fully committed to his overall success. Fact is, this is the system he is in, and I want him to do well. When I agreed to meet with the teacher she said she was relieved, as many parents insist their child does not need extra help and refuse to even meet with her. I am not turning my back on him, his wonderful teacher, or planning on dragging everyone else down as a PP implied. :frown:

I am only expressing my concerns as a parent. It is helpful to hear from parents who say this is indeed the new normal and to give constructive tips on how to navigate through it. I also understand this is the beginning of a lifelong adventure for my son -now being in the "real world" and part of that is learning to accommodate different styles of learning, socializing and interacting.

So thank you for ALL responses. Certainly a lot to think about.

I get that and appreciate your earlier humor. I do think that the concerns over homework are a bit overblown, though I also appreciate a divergent view from another parent who is also concerned about her child's success.

thanks for that. This could have gotten rather gnarly considering it was:

a) on the MFP forums and

b) about "what's best for today's children."

Then I would have had to go all berserk and post a mean people thread. mwahahaha
  • felinasbeads
    felinasbeads Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm in your boat. I hate how little time I get with my son. And on soccer nights its even worse. I didn't have homework when I was in kindergarten.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My third grader is reading a 200-300 page novel every month. Like it or not, the world is getting more competitive, not less, and the US is falling behind. We can either whine about what kids should be doing or we can push them to be competitive in tomorrow's marketplace. It's totally your call with your kids, but I'm not going to stand idly by and watch my kid lose college placement to students from overseas. Good luck!

Yes, but we also have unprecedented levels of obesity in children. Meanwhile they are cutting recess time and PE. We also have young adults being medicated for depression, anxiety disorders at increasing levels. Some Scandinavian countries do not start schooling until later, and homework much later. I know these are not the countries that our jobs are going to, but it something to consider. I'm not sure how we fit it "all" in to childhood, but when 5 year olds are at a desk all day, and have very limited time to be physical outside when returning home...I think the balance is tipped too heavily towards academics at such an early age.

I have a few things to add. One: the countries that have the highest focus on academic success have the highest suicide rates among teens. Two: It's called burnout. I get it, my kids get it. Make it stop. Three: In my kids school they're pulled out of classes constantly to test their proficiency. This takes away from class time so constantly I feel it's hindering the teachers ability to cram in all the necessities. Just an IMHP right there.

TIL that homework in kindergarten causes suicide in Finland and China (hint: it doesn't). In fact that whole pressure and suicide thing is way off... did you know that New Zealand has a teen suicide rate equivalent to Japan? And that the teen suicide rates of the Asian countries where it is high, it is also lower as a teen to adult ratio than in America? Japan and South Korea have adult (cultural) suicide rates that are quite high - it's not that little Johnny/Kitoshi got extra homework.

How many hours a week are your proficiency tests taking away from students?

That information so often thrown out by "documentaries" on Asian education is significantly biased.

Fair enough, I made a snapshot judgment based on limited information. It's not intelligent to take a shot at the global education system without recognizing the multitude of factors contributing to teen suicide rates.
    I will stand by my rant that between the kids being pulled out of lessons and the teachers having to organize and present the findings the constant proficiency testing is a leech due to it's redundancy. To specifically answer your question each child spends approximately an hour a week testing.