20% of body weight in 90 days! Who's with me?

I am determined to lose this baby weight! I want to lose 20% of my body weight in 90 days. That would be December 17th! What is the best present other than a healthy self?!

If anyone wants to do it with me please send me a message. I would LOVE to have someone to chat with while I do it and we can be each others motivation! :)

-Steph

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    20% can be easy for some, hard for others, impossible for the rest. If you are starting at a very heavy weight is is possible with intense training and very strict calorie monitoring. I'd say it is better to aim for 20 pounds in 90 days than 20% but do what is good for you as long as you are sure it is healthy! :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Erm...no. That would be a pound every 3 days. No thanks. It would not only be very unhealthy, but it also would make me go nuts. I much prefer the slow, steady and sane loss that I will be able to easily maintain and that doesn't make me cranky or crazy.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    What is happening on the 17th of December that requires you to lose 20% of your body weight? I'm really confused by this post.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Most people can't consistently lose 1% per week (some can, but they're hard to find), so finding someone to lose 1.7% (yes, I haven't allowed for the reduction in size) is going to be really hard.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    1% a week is a good goal. You're trying to lose 20% in 12 weeks...not the best idea.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Uh… I'm not sure I understand the math in all this… but I've lost 18.9% (according to MFP) in slightly less than 5 months. And I've lost at a fairly quick rate (I have a LOT to lose… I can get away with this). You want to lose 20% in 3 months? That sounds insane. And it's baby weight? That sounds like a unhealthy goal to me. If I'm wrong in this… I apologize. But I would hate to see you do something that could be dangerous for your health.
  • LumberJacck
    It's not necessarily unhealthy, just unlikely that someone could achieve it. People have achieved greater amounts in the TV shows 'Thintervention' and 'I used to be fat'. It just requires dedication, dedication and more dedication.

If you haven't got a job, and have lots of spare time, and no stresses in your life, you could achieve it, if you were sufficiently motivated.

OP wants to lose 45kg. Suppose her goal weight is 65kg. That means she weighs 110kg. Using the formula I created based on Thintervention, she'd lose 110/60=1.83% in the first week. When she's at 100kg, she'd lose 1.7%.

The people on Thintervention weren't working, had lots of spare time and a TV series to motivate them. But yeah, it's possible.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    20 percent of my current body weight is 47 pounds.

In 90 days?

Maybe if I cut an appendage or two off....
  • LumberJacck
    In the TV series Thintervention Mandy went from 167 and got to 133 pounds in 3 months, which is 20%. She was getting help for half of that time, and on her own for the other half.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    An unhealthy proposition from the start.

Citing a TV pseudo-reality show where people admittedly take unhealthy shortcuts to lose weight as support for trying the idea is akin to recommending Russian Roulette. Even when those people are allegedly on their own there is a medical staff and show provided plan ... not somebody picking wild numbers out of the air and trying to do this at home without a safety net.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Controversial? Yes

You do not list your starting / ending weight which makes it difficult to judge. You will beaten by the forums for this, but its doable.

I expect to have lost 50lbs in 90 days since starting. Hint, today is day 89

My method: Eat to my calories goals (1800-1900) and not eat back exercise calories (typically 600-1000 a day) I walk an avg of 16K per day.

Average weight lost is 4 lbs per week. Have not been ill, weak, sickly or anything else. In fact went to DR. for yearly oil change last week: He said: Well done! Although he said this level of weight loss is not recommended and can lead to yo-yo'ing, he said I did it right by not starving myself and ensuring I met all nutritional needed.

So yes it is achievable, but proceed with caution. if I was giving the politically correct answer, it would be NO
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Do we get to use chainsaws? Or is it just a very low calorie diet?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Yeah, for me that's 40 pounds. Not happening.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    May I recommend the Apple Diet!

apple-diet-3206946.jpg
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    20% for me would be over fifty pounds. Not going to happen. I have a full time job, frequent travel, so for me, slow and steady.

As for baby weight, I nursed my kids, and I was pre baby weight in about four weeks. Fat melts off your body. I wonder if women who don't nurse have more problems with losing baby weight gain...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    I think this would be unhealthy for me to do that quickly.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    May I recommend the Apple Diet!

apple-diet-3206946.jpg

Is this the one where you eat a lot of apples before every meal?
  • frisco111
    frisco111 Posts: 44 Member
    No way. Thank you. That would be 15 kg for me. Nooooo way. I would gain it back and some by 18th December.
  • I would love to be able to lose 20% - 50lbs but I dont think that will happen...too much for me to lose :(
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    I am determined to lose this baby weight! I want to lose 20% of my body weight in 90 days. That would be December 17th!
    You say you have a lot to lose (ticker is set at 90 lb), but we have no way to tell if that's a healthy & reasonable goal.
    But to lose 20% of your body weight in about 13 weeks is insane.
    I've just hit 20% down, and it took about 34 weeks, and I was starting with 110 lb to lose.
    My doctors are quite pleased with my progress & health.
  • I'd be happy to lose like 5% in that time!
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Du, you're a grown woman and you can do what you like. However, I know that for me, this would be enormously difficult to achieve in the time-span you suggest. I hover between 150 to 155, so 20 percent down would be a loss of about thirty pounds. Especially given that I have a sedentary job and that I have long hours, I don't find this to be realistic. Just my two cents.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    As much as I'd love to weigh 100 lbs (sarcasm), I think I'll pass. Seems feasible only if you have a whole lot of weight to lose. Probably not even then.
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    I would, but that's 60 pounds for me and I really don't think it would be good for me to lose that much that fast (although man, wouldn't it be nice some days??) especially since I don't want really saggy skin (which I know, with some toning work wouldn't necessarily happen but losing that much that fast would increase the possibility of getting it.) But good luck to you!
  • tag624
    tag624 Posts: 166 Member
    That would be 42 pounds for me, not happening, I've only lost 39 in the past 9 months, with working out 6 days a week.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Ive lost 9% in 6 weeks (17lbs). My aim is to lose 16% from where I started.. If I can do that in the next 6 weeks Ill be over the moon, so Im up for taking that challenge on with you. feel free to add me if you want to keep in touch and track progress.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Yeah that's crazy talk. You are assuming that 20% is a low number for people, 20% is over 50 pounds for me. I lost 65 pounds in 8 months and I thought that was fast.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    I would never. That's ridiculous.

The idea is to create healthy habits that will last you the rest of your life. You are doing the exact opposite of that, and therefore I do not condone it.

Why is everyone in such a rush. Slow and steady, man. Slow and steady.

Agreed
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    I'll try it . !!! I have 27 pounds left to lose.Feel free to add me also
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Sorry to jump on the "that's not healthy" bandwagon but...

Today I just hit my 10% loss, thats 25 lbs in 67 days. That was hard enough! I couldn't imagine having to double that in only 90 days.

Set yourself up with smaller goals so they're more achievable so you don't get discouraged if you can't hit them.