Loose Skin - My Experience

Options
I have seen soooo many threads asking about this lately. Some of them honestly bug me, because people are more worried about the possibility of loose skin than benefits of reaching a healthy weight...

For starters, I'm 40 years old, 5' 1" currently weigh 110-115 pounds . My heaviest weight was 196...

I have 2 kids, work full-time, run 2 youth programs at church and have a wonderful full life.

Yesterday I posted a few pictures in a success thread and I had friends ask me how I went from

January of 2014 (From blog http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rides4sanity/view/time-to-share-the-belly-photo-ughhh-616669)

"I’m okay with how I look in my clothes, but the years of up and down have caused major issues with my tummy. People scoff when I mention not being where I want, I can probably drop another 5-10 pounds, but I don’t know that it would change the area I struggle to accept. According to docs surgery is the only real option to change this. Unfortunately, that is not a safe option for me, due to bleeding issues. This is where I am. I have never even taken a picture where this is visible, let alone shared it, but I need to learn to accept it so here it is in its lumpy bumpy glory. This is from this morning…"

15hid03.jpg

to this in August of 2014
r8t54x.jpg

First of all I'm lying down, and we share the more flattering pictures. Secondly I dropped another 10-15 pounds over the course of 6 months. But honestly it just takes time for your skin to adjust... My belly still isn't perfect, but it is better. Hopefully if I continue with my healthy lifestyle it will continue to improve...

For the sake of comparison. I took a picture this morning in the same pj bottoms... SIGH... I love you people...

123shlj.jpg

I don't moisturize daily. I don't use wraps. I don't drink enough water according to MFP.

The biggest change I made between picture 1 and 2 is I began working with a trainer who told me to back off the intensity and bump up the calories... My body had been stuck at Picture 1 for 2 years. I busted my *kitten* and restricted my calories and 120-125 was where I stayed... He looked at my schedule and said we need to let your body recover so that it can begin to function properly. What did that mean? I lift heavy & teach spin class 2 days a week. I do shorter (1 hour or less) 2 days a week, 1 long ride on the weekend... and REST 2 DAYS... That may seem like a lot, but for me it was less... I eat back my exercise calories and stick to a high protein and fairly low carb diet (I have reactive hypoglycemia and this works for me).

Once my body recovered a bit, I was able to add a bit to my rides and such. When I do as I'm told I progress. When I do my own thing, which tends to be over train... I slide back into a stalemate...

I guess I just want you guys to see that yes if you lose a bunch of weight you may have loose skin... It may or may not go away, but it isn't the end of the world. I am healthier than I have ever been. My kids see a healthy active lifestyle as normal... They see me walk around in my imperfections and accept them. This isn't easy for me, it is a conscious choice I make. I still see my flaws before I see my progress, but I'm working on that.

Replies

• futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    First, you're beautiful inside and out.

Second, I think it's so awesome that you shared this. It never occured to me that time, patience and exercise could help skin retract. I know there are limits to that, especially as our elasticin begins to break down in our skin over time. But what a difference you've made all on your own!

Thank you for this post...truly useful and helpful and honest! HUGS!
  • mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well said. I struggle with loose skin issues also.
  • jchurch9
    jchurch9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm not really worried about having loose skin, I would rather be healthy above all else. But I have to say, your post made me feel a lot better about my journey :) Thank you!
  • shoufek2
    Options
    Well, We are very proud of you for loosing the weight and you look terrific! congrats!
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. You look amazing.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Looking good! Thank you so much for posting.

I have a lot more to lose than you and expect permanent loose skin. I am also 58 and menopausal so the skin retraction is much less likely plus I will have what I call "National Geographic" boobies. I have no problem with the idea that I will be in body briefers and spanx under dress clothes for the rest of my life. I see it as an equal trade for being fit, healthy, and the person I want to be. On the other hand, it is good to see that there will be more skin retraction over the years and that the body I have when I reach my goal weight is not necessarily the body I will have for the rest of my life.
  • Ladybug1250
    Ladybug1250 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    THANK you for sharing!! You look great :-D
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    What a great post.

:flowerforyou:
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • VAClydesdale
    Options
    I don't usually comment much but great post. Every body has flaws. And from a guy's perspective, you look amazing.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I'm not really worried about having loose skin, I would rather be healthy above all else. But I have to say, your post made me feel a lot better about my journey :) Thank you!
    :drinker:
  • katimama
    katimama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    fantastic post! Thanks for sharing your experience.

I come on these boards daily and look for the day's "motivation boost" ... you have given me that boost today (and for many days to come!)
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Brilliantly informative and compassionate post! I'm really taking a message from this about over-training. Thank you.
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Great post! Very encouraging and you do look amazing! I'm sure those kids are proud of their Mom.
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    Options
    You look great! Thanks for this! Very nice post!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. This is something everyone needs to read and remember.
  • dtwflygirl
    Options
    Thank you for your great post! I'm sure it took courage to put it all out there, but I (along with many others!) really appreciate the honesty. Great job getting healthy, body and mind, and you have given me a little dose of inspiration for the day. I would be lying if I said I haven't been thinking about issues with loose skin...it's something that's on my mind, even though I am well aware that the benefits of being healthier far outweigh the negative aesthetics of loose skin, but we live in a culture that puts so much pride in appearance and for all my intelligence, I fall into that trap too. You posted this at a great time for me, thank you!
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! Thank you for sharing both your struggles and triumphs with loose skin after massive weight loss. All too often, people get hung up on this issue as though it's worse than being morbidly obese.

You look amazing, by the way :) Truly an inspiration!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Very well said!! I struggle with being okay with the loose skin and stretch marks on my stomach, but I deal with it much better now than I have in the past.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!