Diet Beverages: The Grand Debate

Options
13»

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    raysputin wrote: »
    HMMM. Back when our species was evolving and coming up with the body stucture that we are now living with, what did they drink? Oh! I know.....water! Top notch stuff - no calories, excellent re-hydrater, cheap, readily available, definitely not medically suspect. Get it inta ya!

Yep, pure clean water with no crap in it.
    7dykr235bkh7.jpg
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    HMMM. Back when our species was evolving and coming up with the body stucture that we are now living with, what did they drink? Oh! I know.....water! Top notch stuff - no calories, excellent re-hydrater, cheap, readily available, definitely not medically suspect. Get it inta ya!

Montezuma's Revenge... Beaver Fever... water can be downright dangerous!
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Exactly! It's not the water but what else is in it that's the problem.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Since I still had this page open from an earlier thread...

MjAxMi04MTJjNmE2ZDIwMWFlYjRh.png

lol--And coke diet cherry rules
  • drizlaru
    Options
    I would say the causation was fairly well defined. Though it does require reading it. ;)
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I used to drink diet soda and yes I did lose weight. That is because I replaced regular soda with the diet variety.

However, from my understanding, diet soda still causes your insulin levels to spike.

Without the actual sugar in your blood/body this can make you feel like absolute *kitten* and thus CRAVE the sugar your body thinks you have ingested.

Let's also consider the "harmful" sugar replacements like aspartame in diet soda, which over a life time can increase your risk of cancer and blindness. Not a risk I'm willing to take unfortunately.

I was "addicted" to coke zero, I drank it every day, without fail, more than water. I went cold turkey last year in June and haven't touched a cola product since.

I'm not perfect, but if I can avoid chemicals/additives/junk in one important part of my life (so hard to do these days) I will.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Diet soda aids in weight loss about as much as water does. Both have zero calories. :smiley:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    drizlaru wrote: »
    I would say the causation was fairly well defined. Though it does require reading it. ;)

"Epidemiologists from the School of Medicine at The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio reported data showing that diet soft drink consumption is associated with increased waist circumference in humans, and a second study that found aspartame raised fasting glucose (blood sugar) in diabetes-prone mice."

"We determined associations between diet soda consumption and risk of incident metabolic syndrome, its components, and type 2 diabetes in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis."

"Researchers have found a correlation between drinking diet soda and metabolic syndrome"

The final one said quite a bit about how studies are mixed but ended with this:

"In terms of general public health recommendations or clinical advice, the scientific evidence does not presently support a blanket recommendation to either consume or avoid ASB consumption in and of itself."

• s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    JenSD6 wrote: »

Montezuma's Revenge... Beaver Fever... water can be downright dangerous!

I had giardia once (beaver fever). Worst time of my life. I was pretty sure I was going to die.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    I'd challenge that through time humans drank untreated water (probably cleaner than now). Now all drinking water is chemically treated for safety except in countries that can't afford to do it.
    Water is important, but one doesn't have to restrict themselves to just water. There's coffee, tea, diet drinks, dairy, etc. to choose from and still be safe.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• janelavalley
    janelavalley Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    I drink diet soda every day, between 1 and 5 cans (lol) and I find that doesn't help or hinder my weight loss. I definitely should drink more water, but that's neither here nor there.

Considering that soda is almost entirely water, you're probably good.

• Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Beaver Fever? I was going to Google, then decided that probably wasn't a good idea.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Here you go:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardiasis
    Not anything you ever want to experience and I've passed kidney stones...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Hmmm, back when there was only water to drink, people lived an average of 30 something years. Now that there's diet beverages, the average life span is over 70 years. Coincidence?