Free pie

Options

Replies

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    fast food service and places like mc donalds are not places that pay well......used to be, most workers were high schoo kids looking to make some spending money for the weekend.......I used to work in a Jack In the Box and really enjoyed it...I worked the grave yard shift during the summer months and on weekends while in high school

I made little, but helped me to save to go to college.............I didnt have 5 kids, stay single , then look for a job and demand 15 per hour...........those places arent going to pay that much

I work with college grads who make 15.00 an hour, people with a BBA and Magna Cum Laude grads who are making 13 - 16 an hour. These folks are going to be paying on school loans for years.......what special courses or cost can be affiliated with flipping burgers? There has to be a fairness in all of this//

Dont expect to get paid 15 an hour at Mc Donalds. Its not going to happen. Also, I got an education first........I didnt have 5 kids , no husband , then complain that things are hard..........I had priorities..........
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to read all the replies, but even a fancy restaurant can screw up your order. I've gotten a free dessert or meal because my order came back wrong, or burned, or whatever. My daughter starts working at McDonald's tonight. You know minimum wage is over $7 now? Anyway, I'm looking forward to half price pumpkin I'll-call-it-pie-if-I-want-to pie and sweet chili chicken wraps. :drinker:
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Why oh why did I actually click on this thread!?!?!?! Sorry but this is a rant.

The amount of derogatory comments about service employees is disgusting. I never worked at a McDonald's or any other fast food place, however I did work at several restaurants, including one I owned. What they say is true, everyone should work at a restaurant at some point in their life. A few things I've seen mentioned...minimum wage. Before you criticize the desire of restaurant employees to earn $15/hr do a bit of research on minimum wage.

"The minimum wage was designed to create a MINIMUM standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees. Others have argued that the primary purpose was to aid the lowest paid of the nation's working population, those who lacked sufficient bargaining power to secure for themselves a minimum subsistence wage." Minimum wage was meant to ensure that big, greedy companies, like McDonald's, paid their employees enough to survive. Why? Because it will always be in their nature to try to undercut the little guy.

Here's a great tool to show you if people in your state can live on minimum wage http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/02/09/opinion/minimum-wage.html?_r=0 .

I used mine (MD $7.25/hr) and even with my expenses which I try to keep really low, to the point of living in a crap area, I'd be $22,364 in debt per year OR I'd have to work 60 more hours a week at a second job.

It's even worse for people who work for tips. Do you ever wonder why Europeans don't always tip, or don't get why we tip? Because they pay their servers a full wage. Waiters/waitresses make $2.13/hr. That's abysmal. As a nation we should be embarrassed that we even have wages that low. Sure they make tips, but you don't always get to keep what you earn. Some places pool tips, so you take less than you worked for. Some places make you share your tips with the kitchen staff. Others, take your tips, then pay you "a higher wage" which is still less than you'd make.

I would keep going, but I'd take up a whole page. *end rant*

Yeah. Everyone already knows that.

Well did you know that you could save 15% or more with Geico?
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    In only 15 minutes too.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

The amount of derogatory comments about service employees is disgusting. I never worked at a McDonald's or any other fast food place, however I did work at several restaurants, including one I owned. What they say is true, everyone should work at a restaurant at some point in their life. A few things I've seen mentioned...minimum wage. Before you criticize the desire of restaurant employees to earn $15/hr do a bit of research on minimum wage.

"The minimum wage was designed to create a MINIMUM standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees. Others have argued that the primary purpose was to aid the lowest paid of the nation's working population, those who lacked sufficient bargaining power to secure for themselves a minimum subsistence wage." Minimum wage was meant to ensure that big, greedy companies, like McDonald's, paid their employees enough to survive. Why? Because it will always be in their nature to try to undercut the little guy.

Here's a great tool to show you if people in your state can live on minimum wage http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/02/09/opinion/minimum-wage.html?_r=0 .

I used mine (MD $7.25/hr) and even with my expenses which I try to keep really low, to the point of living in a crap area, I'd be $22,364 in debt per year OR I'd have to work 60 more hours a week at a second job.

It's even worse for people who work for tips. Do you ever wonder why Europeans don't always tip, or don't get why we tip? Because they pay their servers a full wage. Waiters/waitresses make $2.13/hr. That's abysmal. As a nation we should be embarrassed that we even have wages that low. Sure they make tips, but you don't always get to keep what you earn. Some places pool tips, so you take less than you worked for. Some places make you share your tips with the kitchen staff. Others, take your tips, then pay you "a higher wage" which is still less than you'd make.

Too late.

Tell us more about how not getting an education is a bad idea.

Oh, look at the time! BRB.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    minimumwage_zpsfff38f87.jpg
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    Too late.

And this is all it takes to get PMs?
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    The cops in my town start out around $15 an hour and risk their lives every day. Actually our Sheriff's Office deputies start out less than that. An employee at McDonald's better be making less than someone who risk their lives then.

I was making a little over $11 an hour and I had to have state statutes numbers, what they are and what incident would fit it and what wouldn't memorize and know arrest/offense reports and all the rules of what you can and can't have on there inside and out, which is a lot more mentally tasking than punching in an order and having the machine tell me how much change to give back or flipping a burger. Maybe if they counted back the change themselves.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    Along the sheriff/McD's wages...

I clean at the hospital and make way better hourly wages than both the EMTs/paramedics and security. It's really bassackwards.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    pfddh3I.gif
  • JeriAnne84
    Options
    That's crazy. I make more than my boyfriend and while my job is mentally tasking, he's locked in a room with inmates all day babysitting them. He should be making a heck of a lot more than what he is. I think if there is a risk of loss of life or injury maybe they should be making hella more than $15 an hour - especially if that's what fast food workers end up getting.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuLnoLkBBtJurwlCrLmxPuJ-1B2uGX7ED7pwXQi4Fsdel5ycb_

Don't care about the rest but this ^^^^

InMyBelly_zpsc7830ac7.gif
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Really??? Way to derail a thread. That topic was so last week. This one is about pie.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Too late.

Sounds like some people had PMS before they clicked on this thread.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    Permanent menstrual syndrome.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    How can a thread titled "free pie" go so horribly horribly wrong?

I want my pie. Actually, I want *two* pies. I want steak pie and chips, and then blackberry and apple pie with custard (must be with wild blackberries because they taste the best)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Too late.

Sounds like some people had PMS before they clicked on this thread.

Pie Making Synchronicity?
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    :love: I want Pecan Pie. :love:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    :love: I want Pecan Pie. :love:

I would be proud to partake of your pecan pie! Why are there no gifs for this?!
  • JeriAnne84
    Options
    OMG Dillon's had little two bite pumpkin spice pies for $2 something. I bought some. NOMS.