How bad are 1000 cal deficits, really?

Options
124»

Replies

• zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Everybody's body is different. For me, I like a lower calorie diet as it helpe me see results faster and is easier for me to control cravings, etc. I tried upping my calorie goal a couple months back and I stalled out for a few weeks. Dropped my calories back down and I've been losing consistently since.

Most people on here would say that me losing 2lb/week while I'm so cloase to goal is a bad thing, but it's just what works best for me. I also lift weights for an hour 5x a week to try to offset any muscle loss. Once I get to 185 (only 7lbs to go!!) then I'll slowly add calories back in and lose at .5lb a week until I get to 10% BF and bulk
  • ccsaj
    Options
    Great keep up the great work. I'm inspired:wink:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Yup and if you think my post crosses the line, feel free to report it. Wouldn't bother me a bit.

On the plus side the young man got a LOT of good solid advice. Before he abandoned thread, and after. So he has info...

Did we offend OP. I guess I did so I apologize. I really would like to know why he wants his weight goal though? Also though if people are so sensitive on a internet forum I wonder how it is when they go outside?
  • Texnell
    Texnell Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Your body will eventually go into survival mode & lower your metabolism for fear it is not getting enough. Think about how bears spend their winters ...... they don't eat cause they are hibernating & don't need as much food. So, unless you are hibernating, be sure you are feeding your body enough ...... of the right stuff.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I'd be fascinated to know what he estimates as his current BF % given that height and weight, and considering his desire to trim the fat. I'm not saying it's impossible or anything, but it does make one wonder.

Regardless, I'm not fond of 500 cal/day deficit. Doubling that would probably be fatal for me; they'd find me stabbed at my desk with none of my co workers having any idea what happened....
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Yup and if you think my post crosses the line, feel free to report it. Wouldn't bother me a bit.

On the plus side the young man got a LOT of good solid advice. Before he abandoned thread, and after. So he has info...

Did we offend OP. I guess I did so I apologize. I really would like to know why he wants his weight goal though? Also though if people are so sensitive on a internet forum I wonder how it is when they go outside?
    That's big of you to apologize. I don't know if anyone's weight goal is anyone else's business, barring obvious under-weight ones. He never mentioned 130 or 20 lbs., it was just a static ticker in his profile. He said he doesn't even weigh regularly and isn't even sure about the 150, he just knows he wants to cut then bulk.

I don't get called an emo teen troll outside. :tongue:
  • yopeeps025
    Options

That's big of you to apologize. I don't know if anyone's weight goal is anyone else's business, barring obvious under-weight ones. He never mentioned 130 or 20 lbs., it was just a static ticker in his profile. He said he doesn't even weigh regularly and isn't even sure about the 150, he just knows he wants to cut then bulk.

I don't get called an emo teen troll outside. :tongue:

That is because you do research. I understand the forum and stuff but when I have questions I research answers,
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm running about a 1000 cal deficit (set at a 2 lb/week loss) but I'm also 100 pounds overweight (as of now, started off higher than that). A 1000 cal deficit for someone like me is very different than a 1000 cal deficit for someone who only needs to lose 10 pounds, or even 50. I don't know of a person here that wouldn't agree with that. At least, I haven't seen one yet.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I'm one who thinks it's fine, as long as you're eating a reasonable amount.

But I also think people who think they're running a 1000 calorie deficit are probably actually achieving more like half that (or less) and just telling them to eat more isn't going to help them. But you can't tell people their estimates are wrong. It's like telling someone their driving is bad.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm one who thinks it's fine, as long as you're eating a reasonable amount.

But I also think people who think they're running a 1000 calorie deficit are probably actually achieving more like half that (or less) and just telling them to eat more isn't going to help them. But you can't tell people their estimates are wrong. It's like telling someone their driving is bad.

Haha so true. I figure I'm pretty close since I've been losing 2 lbs/week pretty steadily. Slowed down a bit since I started working with a trainer but I figure that's pretty normal. :)
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I think even when our estimates of our intakes are good, the TDEE calculators are ignoring the adaptive thermogenesis from dieting, so we're burning a lot less than we think.

And that scares people too, thinking it's going to be permanent. I prefer to believe the studies that found it goes away as soon as calorie levels go back up. :smile:
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I think even when our estimates of our intakes are good, the TDEE calculators are ignoring the adaptive thermogenesis from dieting, so we're burning a lot less than we think.

And that scares people too, thinking it's going to be permanent. I prefer to believe the studies that found it goes away as soon as calorie levels go back up. :smile:

Have your research cold thermogenesis and brown fat?
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    No. Got links?
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    1000 calorie deficit would only benefit someone with 100+ lbs to lose. Otherwise, your body is going to eat itself. Starting with the muscle!
  • honey_tequila
    honey_tequila Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I felt fine on a 1000 cal deficit when I started. No possible way I could do it now without feeling awful, or making up for it the next day. You have to provide your body with enough fuel.