Cardio? The key to a perfect body?

Options
124»

Replies

• NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I think that cardio is great for the body as well as strength training. Frankly you can do them separately or combine them into one workout, whatever works for you. I definitely think you need to do some ST if you want a lean, strong look. If you don't want to lift heavy body weight exercises like squats, push-ups, dip etc. will help but heavy lifting with weights to me is the most efficient, effective way to go. However, keep in mind that you want a great looking (and healthy) body for the rest of your life so you need to find what works for you while covering the basics of ST, cardio and a good eating habits. As far as looking bulky or too muscular, you need to devote the kind of time and energy that most people do to their careers (for most of the women you see like this, it is their career). One thing that may help you is to look at websites for fitness magazines and see what body type you like. Whether you like the "Shape", "Fitness", or "Oxygen" typical model look I guarantee you that they all do ST workouts.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I don't like lifting. Hate it. But I do some things with dumbbells. I have worked up to 10lbs. Been at 10lbs for 2 weeks and still can barely get through 3 sets of 10.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    As you can see there is a definite difference. So when a female here says "she looks too bulky" and is referring to a "muscular" female, then the description is WRONG. What should be said is she is "too muscular" for my liking. Now of course "muscularity" is defined by how much definition and body fat you're carrying so you can be muscular and not so defined. Like this:

BielBlue1.jpg
    BielWorkingOutJun2006368.jpg
    Just thought that needed to cleared up.

And as I've shown with Jessica Biel, it's more about how much bodyfat you have over that muscle so one doesn't look to "muscular".

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Jessica Biel in that photo, looks bigger than she normally looks to be honest!
    I actually wouldn't mind looking like the Ladies in the Blue Bikini's though....i.e they obviously have more Body Fat and they look more feminine than the Crossfit Girls and Jessica [in that particular photo] - in my opinion.
    I think even my arms can look a bit too muscular at times, but just grateful for not having "Bingo Wings", as we call them here in the UK. :laugh:
    But as others have said previously, it's all down to personal preference.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your opinion! You see fit and muscular people all day, so your benchmark is high. Your 'muscular' is my 'bulky'.

I'm talking about the average female non-sporty opinion on feminine form, which, when you're trying to get a new client, or encourage someone to start lifting, is very different from yours or even mine. Just telling people that their definitions of bulky or muscular is wrong doesn't make any difference, women like me will still desire a look that is sexy and strong, not too heavy, lithe, low end of healthy BMI and actually doesn't look like we pump heavy iron, even though we spend a lot of time doing it.

I see stocky, thick waist, big undefined legs, wide neck, and traps, and I'm thinking bulky. I'm not concerned with the body fat percentage.
    The other girl was just slightly bigger than Jessica Biel. And she's hardly bulky even with the description you've stated above. I use Jessica Biel as a bench mark for a lot of females in my clientele and group fitness classes and haven't had one yet think she's bulky.
    However I do understand what you mean. I just get personally annoyed when someone who's athletic looking is referred to as bulky when by the majority of the fitness world they wouldn't be considered that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    "Bulky" is a relative term. It is perfectly acceptable to refer to that Biel photo as being "bulky". Frankly, most men don't have shoulders that linebacker-y.

(And that's not a criticism of Biel.)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It's worth discussing though. I think it's important for folk in the fitness industry to see things through female bulk phobic eyes. It's very important to listen to what someone desires in their goal body and it's extremely challenging for us to lift heavy and still stay slender and elegant. It's possible, but a lot of the training programmes are masculine based and it's very very easy for us to overeat and overshoot.
    That may be the issue then. Because if you told me you don't want to look bulky, I'd put you on a training program that wouldn't make you bulk up. You'd probably be more "muscularly defined" but not bulky. If you want to stay lean with no muscle gain or definition, it would even be a different program.
    I'll just add there's no such thing as "toning". There are no "toning exericses". You'll never hear of "toning" curls, squats, flyes, tricep extensions, etc. They are just exercises. The fitness industry tried to pacify females by making up the terminology because it sounded more feminine to keep them in the gyms. It's still lifting weights. Where the difference matters is going to be on resistance used, repetitions, sets and nutrition.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    "Bulky" is a relative term. It is perfectly acceptable to refer to that Biel photo as being "bulky". Frankly, most men don't have shoulders that linebacker-y.

I completely agree bulky is in the eye of the beholder. I also feel bulky has more to do with the protrusion of mass, muscle or fat, under the skin. You can have someone who is fat bulky and someone who is muscle bulky.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your opinion! You see fit and muscular people all day, so your benchmark is high. Your 'muscular' is my 'bulky'.

I'm talking about the average female non-sporty opinion on feminine form, which, when you're trying to get a new client, or encourage someone to start lifting, is very different from yours or even mine. Just telling people that their definitions of bulky or muscular is wrong doesn't make any difference, women like me will still desire a look that is sexy and strong, not too heavy, lithe, low end of healthy BMI and actually doesn't look like we pump heavy iron, even though we spend a lot of time doing it.

I see stocky, thick waist, big undefined legs, wide neck, and traps, and I'm thinking bulky. I'm not concerned with the body fat percentage.
    The other girl was just slightly bigger than Jessica Biel. And she's hardly bulky even with the description you've stated above. I use Jessica Biel as a bench mark for a lot of females in my clientele and group fitness classes and haven't had one yet think she's bulky.
    However I do understand what you mean. I just get personally annoyed when someone who's athletic looking is referred to as bulky when by the majority of the fitness world they wouldn't be considered that.

IDEA Fitness member
    Its an adjective that can be interpreted differently. Bulk, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

What the fitness buffs use is entirely up to them, but the fact that they use it one way doesn't mean everyone else is wrong if they don't fall in line.

Muscular or Bulky...I don't want to be either one. Just a little toned up. :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Eh, it's an illusion. At about 5'7" Biel weighs about 121lbs. That's pretty slim for a female that height. Photos aren't always the best gauge.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What the fitness buffs use is entirely up to them, but the fact that they use it one way doesn't mean everyone else is wrong if they don't fall in line.

Exactly that. In fact, if you're the one selling fitness services to non-athletes, it's your job to understand (and respect) what the non-fitness-buff defines as "bulky".
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Strength train. Cut back some cardio days for stength days. Also could do 30 minutes strength work, 30 minutes HIT cardio for a workout. You won't get bulky or muscular, you'll get the toned lean look I think you're describing.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Exactly that. In fact, if you're the one selling fitness services to non-athletes, it's your job to understand (and respect) what the non-fitness-buff defines as "bulky".
    So which one of these is "bulky"?

interview-tianna-ta_asm.jpg
    tianna_ta.jpg

IDEA Fitness member
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

tianna_ta.jpg

IDEA Fitness member
    IMO One is leaner than the other, but neither has any real bulk.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As you can see there is a definite difference. So when a female here says "she looks too bulky" and is referring to a "muscular" female, then the description is WRONG. What should be said is she is "too muscular" for my liking. Now of course "muscularity" is defined by how much definition and body fat you're carrying so you can be muscular and not so defined. Like this:

BielBlue1.jpg
    BielWorkingOutJun2006368.jpg
    Just thought that needed to cleared up.

And as I've shown with Jessica Biel, it's more about how much bodyfat you have over that muscle so one doesn't look to "muscular".

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member

Jessica Biel in that photo, looks bigger than she normally looks to be honest!
    I actually wouldn't mind looking like the Ladies in the Blue Bikini's though....i.e they obviously have more Body Fat and they look more feminine than the Crossfit Girls and Jessica [in that particular photo] - in my opinion.
    I think even my arms can look a bit too muscular at times, but just grateful for not having "Bingo Wings", as we call them here in the UK. :laugh:
    But as others have said previously, it's all down to personal preference.

The lady in the blue IS Jessica Biel. Main difference is body fat - as well as the positioning of her.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

tianna_ta.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

They are the same person. Different BF% again.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

tianna_ta.jpg

IDEA Fitness member
    As Sara mentioned same person, but where she looks "softer" she's actually about 8lbs heavier, thus "bulkier" than when in competition where some might think she's too muscular looking.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    The lady in the blue IS Jessica Biel. Main difference is body fat - as well as the positioning of her.

Oh i see! :embarassed: :laugh:
    But she does look good in the Blue Bikini.
    Also think the Lady above looks better in the photo where she's wearing the Black Bikini.
    She doesn't look Bulky in either of the photo's though..........again, in MY opinion.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Oh i see! :embarassed: :laugh:
    But she does look good in the Blue Bikini.
    Also think the Lady above looks better in the photo where she's wearing the Black Bikini.
    She doesn't look Bulky in either of the photo's though..........again, in MY opinion.

:happy:

Pedantics aside - it really is a case of BF% in many cases - where the woman does not have particularly large muscles - a higher BF% will cover them and give a 'curvier' shape. Another thing - generally, the leaner you are the less boobage - which also decreases the curviness (unless augmented). However, the perception of 'bulkiness', as some people define it, is also often related to when a female as a relatively high degree of muscle. Take Camille for example - she has pretty developed muscles - put a layer of fat over it (and add that to her generally small bust size) and you can have someone who, to others, looks 'too bulky' even with a relatively low BF%. Put a layer of fat over the fitness model above, and you get to someone with a shape that is more in line with many people's preferences.

I do not really care if someone's definition of bulky is right or wrong - its their definition - but understanding what it is, and how someone's underlying muscle mass can impact it is important as it gets down to the preferences and how to go about achieving them.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The Biel photo looks photoshopped. Her left wrist looks like it's coming almost directly out of the elbow.

If a woman wants that look, awesome for her! She should go for it! It just isn't something everyone wants. I'm sure many men wouldn't want to look like Arnold back in the day, either. Just a personal preference, that's all.

Many of us would love to have what we consider the perfect body. Not all of us can, though. I certainly cannot. We can just do oir best with what we have. For me, that's enough! I'll be very happy just being the best I can be right now. :)
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Love this post