Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Totals: 1,896

Your Daily Goal: 2,743

Remaining: 847

*You've earned 1,383 extra calories from exercise today

As you can see, I didn't eat all of my calories. I understand that you are suppose to eat back ALL of the calories. But I just don't understand how eating 2,743 calories could actually help me lose weight...I ate 1,896 calories. That seems to be waaay more then enough. What do you think?

i think you have worked it out very well.
    i disagree that the understanding is to eat bacl ALL your exercise cals.that would be counter intuitive, and also not recommended by my doctor,for me anyways.

i too exercised 4 hours today, ate back 25% of my exrcise cals as was hungry.also added in an extra treat for tomorrow night. my little snack bank haha.

people say exercise burns are overestimated on mfp, but i have done a lot of comparatives with other swimmers using hrms,trackers etc and we are comfortable with burns logged.
    dont listen to the nay sayers and doom merchants please.

great burn day and stay positive.

regards
    cw 88kg now.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

Just to let you know, MFP calorie burn is not "way wrong" in fact, it's not far off, especially if you are overweight 40 pounds or more. I did buy a HRM because I thought the same thing. Guess what.....MFP totals are rather accurate...
    Totally depends on the type of exercise though. I've tested it extensively just out of curiosity. Some things are pretty close, some are waaaaaayyy off.

Well, maybe. I have tested it too. Dancing for fun, aerobic dancing, riding my bike, walking up and down stairs, slow walking.
    Just curious, what area did you find it to be way off in?
    Prolonged aerobic exercise was way off for me. I tested between a run app on my phone, MFP, and my Garmin with HRM. For runs over 30mins where my heart rate was consistently around 160bpm, MFP was way too generous with my calories burned. The discrepancy gets larger the longer I run. Given I'm now up to around 2 hour runs, I'm glad I figured this out fairly early on in my training.

So, lol. Sounds like you are in pretty good shape- running for 2 hours at a time, impressive. So you found this particular area off is that correct? Like I said, it seems to be more accurate the heavier one is. I am guessing you are either at your goal or close to it as you are able to run for 2 hours at a time.
    I can't even imagine doing that at this point in my journey. Is there any other area you found MFP to be way off in caloric burn?
    Close to my goal now, yes. However when I started MFP in June I was 37lbs heavier (203 lbs) and was running 30 mins at that time. Was on here for about 2 weeks when I got my HRM and started testing accuracy of the calories burned, so was definitely still overweight when I discovered this about my workouts. As my endurance gets better and I progress in my training, I notice the difference getting larger and larger with the length of runs. I have seen other posters comment on this on other threads and it seems the biggest discrepancies occur with prolonged aerobic exercise. That seems to be the general consensus for why a lot of MFPers only eat back a portion of their calories, thereby giving themselves a bit of a buffer. All comes down to personal preference and figuring out what works for the individual.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    i don't quite get the incredulity over the 4 hour workout. i have on many many occasions worked out for 4 hours (or more) in a day. and yes, i work full time. 40+ hours/week. it's not that hard to get in a 2.5 hour run before work, then a 90 minute yoga session after work.

I think most people are assuming it was four hours in one session.
    why? you're making an assumption yourself there. i think you're wrong. i immediately figured it was broken up throughout the day into at least a couple sessions.

I said I THINK. It's an opinion. I don't know what other people were thinking and neither do you which seems to mean that you're making an assumption yourself. Ironic post is ironic.
  • RadicalGrace22
    RadicalGrace22 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

As you can see, I didn't eat all of my calories. I understand that you are suppose to eat back ALL of the calories. But I just don't understand how eating 2,743 calories could actually help me lose weight...I ate 1,896 calories. That seems to be waaay more then enough. What do you think?

i disagree that the understanding is to eat bacl ALL your exercise cals.that would be counter intuitive, and also not recommended by my doctor,for me anyways.

i too exercised 4 hours today, ate back 25% of my exrcise cals as was hungry.also added in an extra treat for tomorrow night. my little snack bank haha.

people say exercise burns are overestimated on mfp, but i have done a lot of comparatives with other swimmers using hrms,trackers etc and we are comfortable with burns logged.

regards
    cw 88kg now.

THANK YOU CW.
  • RadicalGrace22
    Options

regards
    cw 88kg now.

THANK YOU CW.

It is easy to get discouraged with those who say the MFP calculator is wrong. That's the only thing motivating me right now. If I believed the "nay sayers and doom merchants " I just may slack off or worse-GIVE UP, telling myself it doesn't matter cause "it's wrong anyway".
    Your post puts it to rest for me.
    Again, thank you!
    Options
    LOL wasn't trying to be a doom merchant (although I may use that title at another time because it's pretty catchy) but was merely pointing out something that many others have noticed and commented on as a potential MFP flaw to consider as having a direct impact on "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" such as the title of this message board.

Apologies if I've caused people to be discouraged, wasn't my intention.

Peace out.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    LOL wasn't trying to be a doom merchant (although I may use that title at another time because it's pretty catchy) but was merely pointing out something that many others have noticed and commented on as a potential MFP flaw to consider as having a direct impact on "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" such as the title of this message board.

Peace out.

Well, people need to be aware of the potential issue if they are wondering why they aren't losing weight. One possibility is overestimating calories burned. It's the truth. Whether you believe it or not, just because you ignore it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    Options

Peace out.

Well, people need to be aware of the potential issue if they are wondering why they aren't losing weight. One possibility is overestimating calories burned. It's the truth. Whether you believe it or not, just because you ignore it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

That was my thinking, but hey, what do I know LOL. *shrug*
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Dear Jeebus, why?! Hahaha mostly kidding, but that's a long workout!

That said, you don't have to eat back all of your exercise calories. I usually only eat back about half of mine.
  • RadicalGrace22
    Options

Peace out.

ha ha ha wouldn't they be ASKING that question if it was an issue. Nobody was asking why they weren't losing....were they?? Potential issue? Seems if it's not the issue in this post, then why would it even need to be addressed here?
    I just think we all need to be aware many people are hanging onto the smallest thing for encouragement to keep going at it one more day. Don't be the one to step on their air hose. You just don't know how long they can hold their breath.
    Options

Peace out.

ha ha ha wouldn't they be ASKING that question if it was an issue. Nobody was asking why they weren't losing....were they?? Potential issue? Seems if it's not the issue in this post, then why would it even need to be addressed here?
    I just think we all need to be aware many people are hanging onto the smallest thing for encouragement to keep going at it one more day. Don't be the one to step on their air hose. You just don't know how long they can hold their breath.
    It was a natural progression from the whole "eating back exercise calories" issue the OP posted. Nobody is stepping on air hoses here. Experienced MFPers are simply explaining why they DO or DO NOT eat back all of their exercise calories. If you spend a bit of time on the boards, you will see that the over estimation of calories burned has been discussed to death. Therefore, it is indeed entirely relevant to this thread.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    My longest was 6 hours of workouts in one day, all classes, all pretty intense, including boxing, warrior workout, kickboxing etc. That burnt me about 2500 extra calories.
    That aside, I sometimes get in 3 hour bike rides and find walking for long periods pretty easy. I do think that for some people, the walking calories on mfp tend to be overestimated.
    but as long as you are not eating all of your mfp estimated calorie burn, there should not be an issue.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    4 hours of working out isn't that extreme. I'm shocked so many people are shocked. I would spend that long working out if I had time, just cos I love exercise.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Peace out.

Nope. As an adult I prefer real information. Sometimes it can be a got dang smack in the face but then I adjust and recover and life goes on. This is the wrong place to hide from the truth. Someone will inevitably spill the beans lol
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'll jump back into this. Four hours of exercise EVERY DAY seems extreme to me because there are many aspects to a full life. I work at least 50 hours a week, I read, write, knit, draw, play the piano, take care of my home and car, batch cook and freeze meals, maintain relationships, and do any number of other things that make up a full and varied life.

I have seen many people jump into MFP and go extreme in diet and exercise. They usually burn out quickly and disappear. Most of the people who have been around a while take a moderate approach, both in figuring out what to eat and how best to maintain their fitness.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Okay, I'll jump back into this. Four hours of exercise EVERY DAY seems extreme to me because there are many aspects to a full life. I work at least 50 hours a week, I read, write, knit, draw, play the piano, take care of my home and car, batch cook and freeze meals, maintain relationships, and do any number of other things that make up a full and varied life.

I have seen many people jump into MFP and go extreme in diet and exercise. They usually burn out quickly and disappear. Most of the people who have been around a while take a moderate approach, both in figuring out what to eat and how best to maintain their fitness.

A lot of people who don't go "extreme" in exercise quit MFP too. I do three hours a day of intentional exercise most Mondays and saturdays. I work a 40 hour week first shift job, single income no kids and do what I want with my time. Including three hours of classes a couple times a week. If your lifestyle cannot support that, that's one thing, but somebody else's might. As you've also noticed, the op too was not looking to do four hours of exercise every single day.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think that working out for four hours is crazy. Why is that necessary or even desirable?

I'm just curious....why is it crazy?? I have never heard ANYONE say that exercising for any length of time is crazy. But I would love to hear your expert opinion. Sounds like you have it all together. So...tell me...what's your expert advice on losing weight and how much one should and should not execercise?

But yes, I do have it all together, so thanks for recognizing that! My expert advice is to eat less (mostly unprocessed whole foods), enjoy moderate amounts of exercise you enjoy, develop some hobbies, read some books, volunteer your time to others, and be grateful to still be alive.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

OP didn't say they did four hours of exercise EVERY DAY or even every day.

They just said they did it that day, then you jumped in with your name-calling.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I did four hours because all I did was walking outside and walking up and down my stairs in the house. I didn't do them all at the same time either.
    It sounds like a normal day for a lot of people. I wouldn't call walking 'working out' but MFP has some weird conventions.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I did four hours because all I did was walking outside and walking up and down my stairs in the house. I didn't do them all at the same time either.
    It sounds like a normal day for a lot of people. I wouldn't call walking 'working out' but MFP has some weird conventions.

One of my MFPals actually walks at my jogging pace. And she covers double the miles! Yeah, that's a workout