5 weeks to half marathon

Options
13»

Replies

• corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    At least keep a reasonable training schedule, or even the training could knock you out badly. Shortened training schedules injures many, inadequate training schedules injures other during the race.
    You have better potential for both.

But following the 10% increase rule, and doing jog / walk intervals (suggest 2 min : 2 min so at least 50% jog time on the long runs, 4:2 on medium, perhaps straight slow on the short runs).
    This would normally be for half-marathon in 10 weeks with a desired 2 hr finish time. You should start at top since only 4 miles, and nothing in several weeks done.
    And this is by minutes of time, not distance, from a coach. Don't worry about the distance until the week before, then see what your long run is giving you and if that's enough to make it safe.
    3 x weekly only so not too much stress. The long run is the one getting the increases mostly. Increase more than this and just asking for injury.

30 + 30 + 29 = 89 weekly minutes
    38 + 30 + 30 = 98
    48 + 30 + 30 = 108
    59 + 30 + 30 = 119
    61 + 40 + 30 = 131
    64 + 50 + 30 = 144
    68 + 60 + 30 = 158
    84 + 60 + 30 = 174
    101 + 60 + 30 = 191
    120 + 60 + 30 = 210

This should not be all out as fast as you can go, burning through glucose stores, but easy even with jog/walk intervals to encourage fat burning.

I'd say just stick to realistic training routine, and see if it's safe.
    If it's not, chalk up experience of not registering too far in advance for event, even if it is cheaper and you like the idea of big goals to work towards. May not be the best with health issues.

And I'll add, the only 3 half-marathons I've done were precisely because of sickness or injury interfering with the training for doing the marathon, so the half was actually the shortened distance and loss of money already paid to the marathon price. And it was usually 5 weeks training available, but with a much better base to build on.

Super helpful, thank you for this -- it's something to work toward and help me gauge my fitness levels to see whether what I'm setting out to do is at all realistic. Exactly what I was looking for :)

It's a decent plan if your goal is simply to finish or try. I would rather enjoy and do well at something I spend $100 or more registering for, rather than just barely making it through. I guess it comes down to your motivations. I think you would enjoy yourself and be happier with your results if you had more time to prepare.

Well the money's gone regardless. Good thing it was cheap! I'm prepared for the fact that I might have to call it quits, but I don't see any harm in trying. I'd rather try than give up before I really give it a chance.
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Here's an eight week one from Dartmouth College:

http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clubs/triathlon/training/Half_Marathon.htm

Maybe you could modify it a bit. I ran a full marathon without much training...well walk/jogged it. I think you could do it with what time you have, just as long as your feeling well now. Good luck. I'm running one in eight weeks.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I'm going to reiterate that I think this is an unwise idea. Not 'you'll never make it', but unwise nonetheless. I have a friend who once ran/walked a marathon having only run 6 miles in her long run. She finished and got a medal. She also went to dinner that night in a wheelchair.

Your previous 4 mile/run base might be enough to start a 16 week HM training schedule, but you don't have that. You ran 4 miles 5 weeks ago and then had a health concern that kept you totally sidelined. At this point, a 5k would probably be a struggle. Despite what some other posters assume, you do not appear to have the fitness to do this in a way that would be remotely enjoyable. Trust me, I get the notion of 'grit'. I have done stupid things in the name of running. I have also knocked myself out of commission for 6 months because I refused to give in and be smart about injuries and timing.

At this point I would suggest dropping to a 10k if that is an issue, or just chalking it up to bad timing and finding another race that's a few months away. What happens when your glucose bottoms out, or spikes because you take some gatorade? You will be out there for a few hours, how do gels/chews/other food affect your blood sugar? What does your doctor say about this plan? These are all the things that you will need a lot of planning and practice to figure out.

I'm not saying you can't ever run a half, or a full, or an ultra. I'm not even saying you absolutely can't do this one. I'm just saying this isn't the way to do it if you want to have a good experience.

Oh, and lol to "who of you has even run a half?". Yeah, I've run some miles in my time.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I didn't decide to enter a HM until I came in from my morning run the day before. I opened the paper a thought that looks like fun and I think I can do it. It just so happens that my weight reduction running was great training for a half. I was doing 3 miles and weights MWF and 6 miles Tue, Thurs. Sunday I would run 10 miles. Adding three miles was not enough to make it too hard. I would get some miles in and do at least one 10 mile two weeks prior. If you feel bad or are hurting be prepared to call it a day.

It's as if you're in an entirely different thread...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you feel bad or are hurting be prepared to call it a day.

No question about it, I would never push myself beyond what I feel is possible. I was expecting more posts like yours, with a plan but with understanding that I'm educated, and have been diabetic for 12 years -- I listen to my body, always.

To the post with that research (aka single anecdote), it's pretty much completely unrelated. I hardly ever have low blood sugar, and have never had a seizure. If I were to have a seizure the day before a race, it's safe to say that's one of those moments when I'd know when to say when :wink:

To review: My diabetes is controlled, I'll be training, run/walking, not pushing, listening to my body, and reaching a conclusion as the race gets closer....can anyone tell me what's so dangerous about that plan?

So not totally unrelated - I can't guess what your medical past might be and the case report does outline some of the related risks.
    Like I said (and I am assuming not only you are educated but have educated friends) I would suggest additional presence and support especially if you have any management issues in the next weeks.

What do you plan to do to manage a hypoglycemic event during or post event.

As to the dangers - well, you probably know that you increase the risk of hypoglycemic incident during or post event if you are untrained (lack of endurance is a lack of glycemic management even in runners without diabetes) and that recent unmanaged situation suggests that there is a risk of an uncontrolled event.

Those risks are obvious and it seems that you are hold some bravura to stave off the bluntness of some of the posts. Fair enough - be aware and make your decisions as you move forward. Do, please, consider what your safety net is going to be.

What does your endo or doctor say about your fitness goals?

If you are walking/running, it is going to take longer. What are your carb fueling plans? I'm going to assume you have that down and know how much to take per half hour and to assure additional water along to avoid dehydration.

(Personally, I'd likely follow a plan like yours of training and seeing at the last minute but I'd also plan all the details of the actual run and especially post-run out. And support.)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    How many of you saying she's going to die or shouldn't do it have actually completed a half marathon?

I don't even know how many times in total I've run this distance. I ran this distance 4 times last month and did a 14 mile run Sunday. 15 mile run this weekend.

I say she shouldn't do it till she's in better shape, unless she wants to do a 4 hour walk.

If the over/under is 4 hours, I'm taking the the over.

(No offense, OP. Last year, in fairly decent overall condition, I embarked on an extended walk (to the nearest Jimmy John's for a sandwich...despite the fact that I had a car available...don't ask, it just sounded like "fun"). Ultimately, my wife picked me up early on my return leg of the trip, so I only walked 8.1 miles and not the expected ~15ish...but I was wiped out. This took 2:20. I was really slowing down near the end. Finishing 13.1 in under 4 hours would have been close.)
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It seems like my posts aren't being read as more and more people comment, so I'll leave it at this.

Thanks everyone for the feedback/concern. I appreciate all of the stories (both of success and not-so-success) and it's really given me a lot to think about. I'm not ruling out the possibility of running on race day, but will continue to work towards a goal until I can better gauge what's realistic. I know my body, and I'm not going to push it. I'm certainly not going to show up the day of the race with no more than 6 miles under my belt. If I can't get to a comfortable level or run/walk intervals for an extended period of time, it's a no-go and I understand that. :flowerforyou: :drinker: cheers again for everyone's comments.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    It seems like my posts aren't being read as more and more people comment, so I'll leave it at this.

Thanks everyone for the feedback/concern. I appreciate all of the stories (both of success and not-so-success) and it's really given me a lot to think about. I'm not ruling out the possibility of running on race day, but will continue to work towards a goal until I can better gauge what's realistic. I know my body, and I'm not going to push it. I'm certainly not going to show up the day of the race with no more than 6 miles under my belt. If I can't get to a comfortable level or run/walk intervals for an extended period of time, it's a no-go and I understand that. :flowerforyou: :drinker: cheers again for everyone's comments.

I hear you. I think you should wait till 2 weeks out to make a final decision and by all means don't think that missing this goal is any sign of failure. I balked on a full marathon last year with an injury just 3 weeks out. It happens. Keep doing your workouts and working on it but as I said earlier it would be nice if you could finish a 10 mile a week or two ahead of time. That's the minimal pre race distance I'd recommend to anyone trying this the first time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Just to add, if you decide against doing the race, contact the race director just in case. While I understand completely why they may not issue you a refund or roll over registration, sometimes they will be accommodating. It doesn't hurt to ask.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Walk Run works great just don't out run yourself. I did my first 15k on Sunday finished in 1:26:29. I never had to stop and catch my breath I just kept a great pace trying to stay under 10 minutes per mile even with the walking. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Walk Run works great just don't out run yourself. I did my first 15k on Sunday finished in 1:26:29. I never had to stop and catch my breath I just kept a great pace trying to stay under 10 minutes per mile even with the walking. Good Luck

29509743.png

(Don't worry, Dave. I got this one.)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm going to reiterate that I think this is an unwise idea. Not 'you'll never make it', but unwise nonetheless. I have a friend who once ran/walked a marathon having only run 6 miles in her long run. She finished and got a medal. She also went to dinner that night in a wheelchair.

Your previous 4 mile/run base might be enough to start a 16 week HM training schedule, but you don't have that. You ran 4 miles 5 weeks ago and then had a health concern that kept you totally sidelined. At this point, a 5k would probably be a struggle. Despite what some other posters assume, you do not appear to have the fitness to do this in a way that would be remotely enjoyable. Trust me, I get the notion of 'grit'. I have done stupid things in the name of running. I have also knocked myself out of commission for 6 months because I refused to give in and be smart about injuries and timing.

At this point I would suggest dropping to a 10k if that is an issue, or just chalking it up to bad timing and finding another race that's a few months away. What happens when your glucose bottoms out, or spikes because you take some gatorade? You will be out there for a few hours, how do gels/chews/other food affect your blood sugar? What does your doctor say about this plan? These are all the things that you will need a lot of planning and practice to figure out.

I'm not saying you can't ever run a half, or a full, or an ultra. I'm not even saying you absolutely can't do this one. I'm just saying this isn't the way to do it if you want to have a good experience.

Oh, and lol to "who of you has even run a half?". Yeah, I've run some miles in my time.

I'm voting this for understatement of the year! :laugh:

When are you doing the 4 Deserts run? I keed I keed. Don't hurt me!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

29509743.png

(Don't worry, Dave. I got this one.)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

DYEUltra?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    How many of you saying she's going to die or shouldn't do it have actually completed a half marathon? This isn't an ultra-marathon, for crying out loud, it's 13.1 miles. I've run races that distance beside non-runners who were otherwise in good shape but didn't train for the race at all, or had only run as far as 3 or 4 miles. Since I run/walk in intervals so did they. Yes, I had to coax them along through part of it when they got tired. Yes, they were tired and sore the next day but it's certainly doable.

The plain fact of the matter is you can WALK a half marathon at a 3.5 mile pace in under 4 hours. She's not going to "die" if she does this. Would you really tell someone who's in reasonable shape that they shouldn't walk that far or for that long or run for some and walk the rest? Someone who was running 4 miles straight several weeks ago can easily pull that off. I see no need to discourage her from giving this a try given that she could simply walk the distance if running it turns out to be a problem.

The OP says her blood sugar issues are now under control. Well, she's got five weeks of training to discover if that's really true or not. Telling her she's going to "die" trying this is just plain silly. Discouraging her from giving it a try is unfair.

OP, if you're serious about wanting to do this and working out a training plan, message me with the details on your current fitness level (once you get a chance to get out there and determine how you're feeling) and I'll help you the best I can.

Are you also qualified to provide advice on unmanaged diabeetus? Probably not. Any yahoo can scrap together a run/walk training plan to fake a half marathon, but this is a little more complicated than that.

ETA: A half marathon is NOT the place you want to "discover" if the condition is managed... SMH
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    How many of you saying she's going to die or shouldn't do it have actually completed a half marathon? This isn't an ultra-marathon, for crying out loud, it's 13.1 miles. I've run races that distance beside non-runners who were otherwise in good shape but didn't train for the race at all, or had only run as far as 3 or 4 miles. Since I run/walk in intervals so did they. Yes, I had to coax them along through part of it when they got tired. Yes, they were tired and sore the next day but it's certainly doable.

The plain fact of the matter is you can WALK a half marathon at a 3.5 mile pace in under 4 hours. She's not going to "die" if she does this. Would you really tell someone who's in reasonable shape that they shouldn't walk that far or for that long or run for some and walk the rest? Someone who was running 4 miles straight several weeks ago can easily pull that off. I see no need to discourage her from giving this a try given that she could simply walk the distance if running it turns out to be a problem.

The OP says her blood sugar issues are now under control. Well, she's got five weeks of training to discover if that's really true or not. Telling her she's going to "die" trying this is just plain silly. Discouraging her from giving it a try is unfair.

OP, if you're serious about wanting to do this and working out a training plan, message me with the details on your current fitness level (once you get a chance to get out there and determine how you're feeling) and I'll help you the best I can.

Are you also qualified to provide advice on unmanaged diabeetus? Probably not. Any yahoo can scrap together a run/walk training plan to fake a half marathon, but this is a little more complicated than that.

ETA: A half marathon is NOT the place you want to "discover" if the condition is managed... SMH

I think the bolded is the point of a lot of the posts from experienced runners saying "This might not be such a good idea."
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Even without the health issues (I know nothing about diabeetus), this doesn't sound like fun. With so little training completed it will probably take you a REALLY long time.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Virtually every race I have entered have a "No Refunds" policy, so if you decide not to run it, it's not like you're gonna get your money back. You won't get a silly medal. Big whup.

In the meantime, just continue your training. If you're up for the race, great. If not, great.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    OP, maybe I missed it but did you speak with your doctor? That's really the only person who's opinion matters. I hope you enjoy a HM at some point :flowerforyou:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Super helpful, thank you for this -- it's something to work toward and help me gauge my fitness levels to see whether what I'm setting out to do is at all realistic. Exactly what I was looking for :)

Well the money's gone regardless. Good thing it was cheap! I'm prepared for the fact that I might have to call it quits, but I don't see any harm in trying. I'd rather try than give up before I really give it a chance.

Was actually thinking of this on my bike ride tonight.

My half's were done because I couldn't do correct training for the marathon I'd already paid for.

Are they doing a 10K also?

You'll lose the extra money - but I've never seen a race that cared if you went the shorter distance. Only if you paid the shorter and tried to do the longer did they care.

Also, do you use a HRM in training?
    That time based training is intended to be used with HR zones.