5'8 with large frame---how much should I weigh??

Options
124»

Replies

• krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I have a large frame too, though I'm not as tall as you. The most valuable information I was able to gain in terms of what I "should" and "could" weigh is when I got a body fat test.

I also got a lean body mass test done. I am 112 lbs of lean body mass, and at 5'4" that's some women's total weight! So, I knew I could not possibly be under 130 or else that would give me a very unhealthy body fat percentage.

So, for me, I could look at charts and get advice all night but what really gave me the proper information was getting a body fat test and lean body mass test done (I just Googled them in my area and paid to get it done)

I swore up and down that I "should" weigh around 122-125 at 5'4" but I would literally die from having too little body fat at that weight!

Now, my goal is to be active (I run 3 miles) every day and eat reasonably. The end result has been gradual weight loss.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I would like to add though, and at least this does apply in my case, that I did like ONE thing Dr. Oz said: (if you were a healthy weight in your high school/ college days) make your goal to be the same weight you were in your late teens early twenties.

I'm shooting for this also.

Yup, I think 5 more pounds should get me back in to the skinny jeans I was wearing when I was in my best shape in college and training for lacrosse. Then I just need to decide if I want to stay there or go for even better.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I think you should measure your body fat percentage. That would be a more accurate measure than a number on the scale especially if you have a large frame.

This. I'm 5'8" and 150, I think I have a larger frame. I do strength training and/or HIIT most days of the week and eat 1800-2000. Looks like you may need to eat more and exercise more to get where you want to be. Good luck!
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hey that's great!! I wish I had the desire to do p90x but I know I wouldn't stick to it for a long period of time and then I will gain back what I lost. Did the same thing with Tie-Boe back in the day and walking is the only thing I can see myself doing for the rest of my life. P90X is just a quick fix for some, but its not feasible to do it for a long long time. I had to find a way to exercise that wont kill me and burn me out, that way I can stick with it. Kudos to you for all ur hard work!! Thanks for sharing.

I have to admit, I read this and instantly thought that you don't want to put in the work to get the results you say you want to achieve. I hear lots of excuses.

I'm a mother of 3 so I understand feeling guilty for taking time away from your child. But I'd rather sacrifice a couple hours a week making myself healthy than take years away from my life with my children. Bodyweight workouts are effective if done properly.

I've been at maintenance for going on 4 years now and while I do run and lift weights, there are PLENTY of home workout dvds and youtube videos that are quick and effective. You HAVE to get outside of your comfort zone if you want progress. It's not easy. If you are looking for easy, you don't want it bad enough. It is, after all, a WORKout.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!