How Do You Feel About AVOCADOS?

Options

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I love avocados! And they're a healthy fat, so as long as you have the calories, have some avocado!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I do eggs on toast almost every morning for breakfast...on days when I don't know how long it'll be, or if even ever, I'll get lunch...I add half an avocado in between my toast and egg. It is DELISH and keeps me satisfied much longer.
    Love, LovE, LOVE this tasty green fruit!!!! Healthy fats but calorie dense...just be sure to log it and plan for it in your daily calorie goal.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    they gross me out. i think it's a texture thing.
  • JasmineSchmidts
    JasmineSchmidts Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know all their benefits. I know how amazing and versatile they are. I know how great they are for you.
    I still hate them.
    I don't like the texture or the taste. I have tried them so many different ways trying to force them into my diet, but I can't seem to find a way to hide them in anything and it still be palatable for me... :(
    If you can eat them - more power to you!

I agree 100% People think I'm crazy for not liking them, and I've really tried! But for some reason, I just cannot get myself to like them at all. Oh well.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    L.O.V.E! I like them super ripe, so they spread like butter :) Mmmmmm . . . I have 1/4 for breakfast every morning, spread on a tortilla and topped with fried egg. For a while there I would do another 1/4 mixed with 1/2 can of tuna and a few olives on pita for lunch. Super good mixed into rice. Or spread on tacos. With fresh sliced tomatoes and gouda on a grilled cheese . . .
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    I've heard they're meant to be really good for your health and have amazing benefits. If you're trying to get fit and lose weight they're meant to be your best friend…but I still can't make myself like them. I'm not even 100% sure what they taste like as I've never noticed or been overwhelmed by a taste when I've eaten them before. It's the texture that gets me most, though. The sliminess really makes me feel ill, and I'm normally never fussy with things like textures - ever!

I then realised that despite all the benefits, they aren't exactly low in calories anyway so it's not the end of the world!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I've heard they're meant to be really good for your health and have amazing benefits. If you're trying to get fit and lose weight they're meant to be your best friend…but I still can't make myself like them. I'm not even 100% sure what they taste like as I've never noticed or been overwhelmed by a taste when I've eaten them before. It's the texture that gets me most, though. The sliminess really makes me feel ill, and I'm normally never fussy with things like textures - ever!

I then realised that despite all the benefits, they aren't exactly low in calories anyway so it's not the end of the world!

If they are slimy, they are TOO ripe. I like my avocados firm, unless I'm using them to make something like pudding.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Avocados are amazing. I love them so much. I eat them on just about everything savory. I do mash them add a bit of lemon juice to keep it from turning brown or make guacamole. I then portion out 28 to 56g per meal to keep the calories in check.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Love them! They are a healthy fat, which is an important part of nutrition. I probably eat 1 avocado/week.

I love 1/4-1/2 an avocado spread on wheat toast with a sprinkle of sea salt and feta. Also a few slices with an egg white scramble, and fresh guacamole with lots of lime juice and cilantro on black bean tacos. Yum!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    20130929-134247-500x522.jpg
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan. But this is how I sneak them in:

http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2014/01/25/chopped-taco-mason-jar-salad/

Lunch for the whole week!
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    For those who don't know if you are getting a ripe or overripe avocado at the store, here's a tip that has worked really well for me.

Peel the stem of the avocado off. If the circle beneath the stem is green, the avocado is perfect. If it is brown or black, it is past its prime.

http://www.nwedible.com/2012/05/never-buy-a-rotten-avocado-again.html

If you buy an avocado that is ready but you aren't going to use it right away, stick it in your fridge to keep it from ripening any further. It should last a few days, maybe even a week.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Seem a little too good to be true. . . like the way cocaine used to be coco cola.

I mean, I'm literally in a better mood after eating avocado. . . .

But I eat them anyway. Yes, they're high in calories, but they hit the spot and satisfy in a way that other foods with the same amount of calories just don't. Especially a great substitute is you just want to eat something fatty/buttery.

One of my favorite indulgences when I'm craving carbs and fat is to toast some ezekiel bread and mash a half avocado on it, and sprinkle some lime juice, cayenne, and plenty of salt. It's happiness on a plate.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    How Do You Feel About AVOCADOS?

I have nothing against them.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I used to like them, but when I got pregnant even the thought of avocados made me nauseous. If I knew there was one in the house I would feel sick. Blerg.

Now I don't mind having some guac to dip a chip or two in, but that's pretty much as far as I'll go. I'm not a fussy eater at all, but there's something about avocados.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I stick to the Haas Avocado but i looove them.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I feel very good about avocados. Yes please!

Just eat 1/4 of one. Calories aren't that bad, you can work them in.
  • Panda_Path
    Panda_Path Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    They are AMAZING, and named after testicles :P
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Love them. Have one in my salad at dinner, most days.