800 cal/day?

Options
My average caloric intake is 800 calories a day, and I don't purposefully restrict. I only eat when I feel hungry or every 4-5 hours and I just eat enough to satisfy my hunger. I'm a student, so I'm pretty active throughout the day, and I'll go to the gym 1-3 times per week. I take vitamin & calcium supplements. I eat more on holidays and when I go out to restaurants, but even then that's only 1-2 days a month and my caloric intake wouldn't ever pass the 1,200 mark. I don't know, I guess I'm just wanting to know your thoughts on this? I didn't realize how low my intake was until I started really using this website everyday starting about a month ago.

Here's an example of what I ate/will eat today, just for reference

8:30/9:00 Breakfast - 1 cup Cheerios (100) 1 cup skim milk (90)
12:00/1:00 Lunch - 1 serving Starkist tuna pouch (110) 1 serving Wheat Thins (130) Vitamin (0)
3:00 Snack - Small green apple (70)
5:30/6:00 Dinner - Ham flatbread 6" sandwich (250) pretzels (50)
9:00/9:30 Snack - Tea (0) 1/4 cup skim milk (25)

Total calories = 825

Thank you! :ohwell:

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 I eat 1900 calories to lose. You should be eating 3 x's the amount of what you are eating now!!!!

READ OP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Anything lower than 1000 calories per day, I have nothing good to say. Feel sorry for your body and organs.
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    where are the veggies?????
  • molls10m
    Options
    Agree with everyone above, you definitely should be eating more!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    do you want advice on how to increase your calories?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    if you're looking for people to tell you that's ok, it's not going to happen. You're undereating by quite a lot. I see you have a goal weight off 100lbs, may I ask how tall you are?
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

Even 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with your apple adds 200 calories.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    That's long-term trouble coming. In college I ate 500-900 cal/day. Not only was I exhausted ALL the time and had trouble focusing on my studies, but eventually my hair started to fall out in clumps and I really screwed up my hormones which took years of meddling with to fix. Eventually, your appetite will increase to accommodate eating more, but in the meantime, try looking for more calorie and nutrient-dense foods that might be the same "size" as what you eat now. Add coconut oil when you cook or toss some avocado on your sandwiches. Make a healthy smoothie with protein, fruits, maybe some greens or chia - not overly filling but will give you energy. Does your school have a nutrition counselor of any kind? Mine was very helpful in guiding me to an eating plan that worked for my schedule, budget and appetite. Good luck!
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as your average grade 6er. ( yay being short ) and I eat more than that.

I also find it hard to eat my calories in a day!!! Ever since I started eating clean and not a bag of chips and coke and m&m's a night ( :huh: ) I find it hard to be hungry! I get so much good nutrition now .. when i'm hungry. I eat. .I never let myself be hungry. this is what is working for me.

Try and plan out all your food for the day and when you will eat it.. Hungry or not.

Foods that isn't "big" but adds up in good calories :

greek yogurt
    single serving cheeses ( like babybell don't go for the light! )
    cottage cheese
    a boiled egg ( I make them once a week and keep them in a container for easy access )
    peanut butter and apples

these are all great snacks that will help get your calories in a day!

it's important to NEVER go under your BMR. You should always be eating more than it. mine is around 1147. I find it hard to eat over that most days.. but you HAVE TO TRY! .. it is really bad for your body.. messes with your metabolism and can really hurt you.

:flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Ummm..she's undereating and THAT'S what you choose to focus on???
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

where's the food.

OP hunger isn't a good indication of when you should or shouldnt be eating because hunger is controlled by hormones.

eat more food
  • abbyjane50
    Options
    I eat a TON of veggies, especially at dinner, especially spinach today :) The calories were just to low to bother writing down.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    She's undereating and probably malnourished. I can't see a young girl getting any of her nutrtional requirements on that diet. Her stomach is probably now adjusted to eating that little.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP, how tall are you?
  • abbyjane50
    Options
    I made this account back in middle/high school, when I was shorter. I'll change it. I don't have a goal weight now, I guess I'm just trying to maintain. I'm 5'3" and 105 lbs which is still in the healthy range.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You used the word "restricting" which leads me to believe you have had, or at least researched eating disorders.
    Have you?
  • Trueray
    Options
    I made this account back in middle/high school, when I was shorter. I'll change it. I don't have a goal weight now, I guess I'm just trying to maintain. I'm 5'3" and 105 lbs which is still in the healthy range.

Your underweight. A woman like yourself should be in the 115-120lb range but it is your life. 105 lbs is more for a 14-15 year old girl.
  • abbyjane50
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice! I'm buying all my own food in college, so I guess I try (too hard) to get as many meals as possible out of everything I buy. I haven't had any loss of energy or anything like that, but I'll keep it in mind :)
  • Trueray
    Options
    This will tell you how many calories you should be taking to maintain your weight http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • schmetterling1
    schmetterling1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Using whole milk or even 2% will help boost your calories. Oils, nuts, peanut butter, ice cream, and avocados will help as well.