800 cal/day?

Options

Replies

• abbyjane50
    Options
    You used the word "restricting" which leads me to believe you have had, or at least researched eating disorders.
    Have you?

No, took a nutrition class last year and am familiar with a lot of dietary terms.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice! I'm buying all my own food in college, so I guess I try (too hard) to get as many meals as possible out of everything I buy. I haven't had any loss of energy or anything like that, but I'll keep it in mind :)

when I was eating as little as you.. I didn't loose energy either.. but I did start loosing my hair .. it wasn't as bright in color and my nails would break easily.

it might not be showing yet on the outside.. but it is messing up your insides.. and it will start showing on the outside sooner or later...
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Use whole milk with your cereal, I love the add peanut butter to your apple idea... if you like peanut butter... or Nutella.. it tastes better *nods* There are lots of little things you can do to increase your calories without necessarily increasing the volume of food you eat dramatically.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin & calcium supplements.

Fat soluble supplements like calcium wont get absorbed without adequate fat so you can start there, 0.4g per pound of bodyweight.
  • majigurl
    Options
    You used the word "restricting" which leads me to believe you have had, or at least researched eating disorders.
    Have you?

No, took a nutrition class last year and am familiar with a lot of dietary terms.

if you took a nutrition class.. then you already knew there was an issue with how little you are eating.. no?
  • abbyjane50
    Options
    I take vitamin & calcium supplements.

Fat soluble supplements like calcium wont get absorbed without adequate fat so you can start there, 0.4g per pound of bodyweight.

Yup, I know! That's why I took it with my fattiest meal of the day, (Tuna in sunflower oil & wheat thins).
  • abbyjane50
    Options
    Have you?

if you took a nutrition class.. then you already knew there was an issue with how little you are eating.. no?

Yes I do know... now. I just started actively using this website this month, so I had no idea how little I was actually eating before because this is the first time I've ever actively counted calories for an extended period of time.
  • majigurl
    Options
    Have you?

Yes I do know... now. I just started actively using this website this month, so I had no idea how little I was actually eating before because this is the first time I've ever actively counted calories for an extended period of time.

But why do you need our thoughts on it?

You know just as much as us, maybe more, that you are currently harming yourself. Get those cals in! any way you can in a healthy way! GL

:flowerforyou:
  • BevRodriguez52
    Options
    I know what you mean. It was hard to make myself eat the 1200 cal of "good" food with low carbs. I had a counselling session with the nurse at my clinic. She wants me to eat every 2 hours with protein or fat at each meal, 3 meals with 2 snacks. It's still hard. If you don't eat more, you will be in starvation mode and your body will hang on to every calorie you eat. Eventually it will cause a major weight problem like mine.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I can't really comment because for all I know you are 3 feet tall.
  • abbyjane50
    Options
    Have you?

But why do you need our thoughts on it?

You know just as much as us, maybe more, that you are currently harming yourself. Get those cals in! any way you can in a healthy way! GL

Ahh, I don't know. :) It was just a shock to realize I've been eating like this for couple years now and I didn't think it was abnormal all that time. I'm really appreciating the advice from everyone though!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Have you?

Well that's good news. So, I guess you'll try to increase your uptake then.
    Good luck.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Eat MORE :grumble:
  • noelboquet
    noelboquet Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My average caloric intake is 800 calories a day, and I don't purposefully restrict. I only eat when I feel hungry or every 4-5 hours and I just eat enough to satisfy my hunger. I'm a student, so I'm pretty active throughout the day, and I'll go to the gym 1-3 times per week. I take vitamin & calcium supplements. I eat more on holidays and when I go out to restaurants, but even then that's only 1-2 days a month and my caloric intake wouldn't ever pass the 1,200 mark. I don't know, I guess I'm just wanting to know your thoughts on this? I didn't realize how low my intake was until I started really using this website everyday starting about a month ago.

Here's an example of what I ate/will eat today, just for reference

8:30/9:00 Breakfast - 1 cup Cheerios (100) 1 cup skim milk (90)
    12:00/1:00 Lunch - 1 serving Starkist tuna pouch (110) 1 serving Wheat Thins (130) Vitamin (0)

I have a friend who is naturally small...your height and weight....she eats all day long in very small portions....but she eats all day long. I wont insult you or ask you if you have an eating disorder...instead I will ask you why you choose to eat foods without fat in them such as skim milk and tuna from a pouch...Do you put mayo in that tuna? Do you eat that tuna in a salad? With tomato?

I realize you are on a budget with your food. Try perhaps making a few large meals per week that you can eat that are healthier such as a stew or chili....something you can freeze and warm up to keep with your busy lifestyle. This is what I had my son do and he stayed slim and healthy.

3:00 Snack - Small green apple (70)
    5:30/6:00 Dinner - Ham flatbread 6" sandwich (250) pretzels (50)
    9:00/9:30 Snack - Tea (0) 1/4 cup skim milk (25)

Total calories = 825

Thank you! :ohwell:
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    you need to be eating more, or at least not working out youre damaging your body
    also you will be lacking nutrients
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    where are the veggies?????

Ummm..she's undereating and THAT'S what you choose to focus on???

If a person eats so little anything to focus on as far as healthy food is concerned is good. Vegetable is a very good food to start with.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Add in a few servings of nuts/seeds. Use full fat or part skim cheese and milk. Eat yogurt for a snack with some nuts and some fruit added in. It's not that hard to get your cals up.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I always eat a double portion of cold cereal in the morning. A tablespoon of chocolate syrup adds another 50 calories and makes everything all yummy chocolatey. Definitely whole milk, too.

Use regular mayo on those sandwiches and double up your cheese portion. Have some chips with your lunch -- why not? :smile:

Nuts make a great snack, and are loaded with calories. They also keep well during the day in your backpack.

Get some ice cream and have some every night as a treat.

Don't underestimate the power of pizza. Carbs, protein, fats, and lots of calories. Find some good, cheap frozen ones, or hit up your local Little Caesars for a $5 dinner you can share with friends.

Girl I am the Queen of Calories. My diary is open to my friends, so if you need ideas on how to pack more food into your day, send me a FR.

• abbyjane50
    Options
    My average caloric intake is 800 calories a day, and I don't purposefully restrict. I only eat when I feel hungry or every 4-5 hours and I just eat enough to satisfy my hunger. I'm a student, so I'm pretty active throughout the day, and I'll go to the gym 1-3 times per week. I take vitamin & calcium supplements. I eat more on holidays and when I go out to restaurants, but even then that's only 1-2 days a month and my caloric intake wouldn't ever pass the 1,200 mark. I don't know, I guess I'm just wanting to know your thoughts on this? I didn't realize how low my intake was until I started really using this website everyday starting about a month ago.

Here's an example of what I ate/will eat today, just for reference

8:30/9:00 Breakfast - 1 cup Cheerios (100) 1 cup skim milk (90)
    12:00/1:00 Lunch - 1 serving Starkist tuna pouch (110) 1 serving Wheat Thins (130) Vitamin (0)

I have a friend who is naturally small...your height and weight....she eats all day long in very small portions....but she eats all day long. I wont insult you or ask you if you have an eating disorder...instead I will ask you why you choose to eat foods without fat in them such as skim milk and tuna from a pouch...Do you put mayo in that tuna? Do you eat that tuna in a salad? With tomato?

I realize you are on a budget with your food. Try perhaps making a few large meals per week that you can eat that are healthier such as a stew or chili....something you can freeze and warm up to keep with your busy lifestyle. This is what I had my son do and he stayed slim and healthy.

3:00 Snack - Small green apple (70)
    5:30/6:00 Dinner - Ham flatbread 6" sandwich (250) pretzels (50)
    9:00/9:30 Snack - Tea (0) 1/4 cup skim milk (25)

Total calories = 825

Thank you! :ohwell:

I drink skim milk mostly because that's what my family has always bought. The tuna (7 grams fat) I just eat straight from the pouch kind of like a dip for my wheat thins (they taste so good together!) I hate the taste of mayo :P I have a meal plan here at school, so I try to make it to the caf everyday, but the most I ever get is 300 cals for that meal since I love loading up on fruit. Thanks for the advice!
  • abbyjane50
    Options
    where are the veggies?????

Ummm..she's undereating and THAT'S what you choose to focus on???

If a person eats so little anything to focus on as far as healthy food is concerned is good. Vegetable is a very good food to start with.

I eat a ton of veggies, especially spinach and cucumbers! The calories were just too low to bother adding them to the information I gave.