C25K get easier?

Options
2»

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm not too worried about speed yet since this is just for me and not for a race. I was able to complete 4 of the runs comfortably. The 5th run was on a steep hill and I think it zapped me because I had to skip the 6th run all together. The seventh run I did 55 seconds but I just couldn't go further. On the 8th run I managed 40 seconds and I was wiped out! Hopefully by the end of this week I can complete all 8 runs. :)

If at all possible, avoid running on hills when you're starting out. They're harder on the legs than running on a relatively flat surface. Running downhill is especially hard because of the eccentric contraction of the muscles: they have to contract while lengthening, in order to control your speed. Save hills for when you're a more experienced runner.

C25K is a great program, and it does get easier. It's not a contest; if you need to repeat a day, or a week, there's no shame in that. Ideally, at the end of each week you should feel like it was a challenge but you're ready for more. If you're not, then repeat the week.

The CoolRunning C25K program (the original) does have a quirk, though: weeks 2 and 3 both involve 9 minutes of running, while week 4 involves 16 minutes (3-5-3-5). That's a big jump from week 3 to week 4. I modified week 3 to add an extra 3 minutes of running at the end, which made the transition to week 4 a lot easier compared with the first time I did C25K (I had to stop in week 6 due to a bike crash, which is why I did the program again).
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes it does get easier so please don't give up. When I started 4 years ago, I had just quite smoking a couple of months before and could only run for a few seconds without gasping for air and my whole body hurting like crazy. I didn't follow any certain training like C25k; I just kept pushing myself a little more each time. Now 4 years later I'm currently training for my 1st HM in November. My goal is to finish and if I can finish without walking that would be even better. I suffer with hypoglycemia daily so this will not be an easy task to complete. And yes even years later I'm stil slower than what I would like to be and it still hurts but I don't mind now. So keep up the great work and don't give up.
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Great info in this thread. Thanks girls.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Hi, i'm doing c25k - I'm on week 7 but managed to run the whole 5k today with only a quick toilet stop! Like you I have a pretty large rack and struggled to find a decent sports bra so I just wear 2 of my most supportive ones and it works pretty well. I'm doing it on a treadmill so its a bit different but I would say go slow - if you're finding it tough slow right down then slow down some more. keep at it, it does get easier and don't worry about repeating weeks. Good luck with it, you can do it!
  • soonrryan
    soonrryan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it gets easier since you have to start running more and more.

I started with a couch to 5k program and have now run more 1 marathon and about 10 half marathons. Give it long enough to know if you like it. Some of us get addicted.
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I found it got easier, My biggest difficulty though was breathing. I just slowed my pace and was able to go for however long that I want, without sounding like im dying, my lungs/cardiovasc definitely improved
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Hello! I did my first day of C25K today and it was so hard for me! Out of the 8 runs (1 minute each) I struggled with the last 3. I didn't do one of them at all and the other two I only did 55 seconds and 40 seconds, respectively. My lower back was just killing me!

I managed to do 2.5 miles in 35 minutes but was so thankful at the end. My legs don't hurt or anything, but back is the issue. I have a very very large bust and unfortunately they do not make sports bras in my size. I'm wearing one of the most supportive bras that I have, but there is still a lot of bouncing.

Is the pain in my back probably from my breasts? Is it possible that I just run poorly? Is it just because I'm obese and runnin' aint easy?

Please tell me that running will get easier! I want to have fun doing it. I love being outside and love the idea of running, but I don't want to be miserable afterwards because I'm afraid that will really discourage me from continuing.

I appreciate anyone's support. :) Thanks!

Congratulations for getting started! The first day is always the hardest. You'll find your rhythm and it will get easier (but it will never be "easy").

The best advice I ever got for running was to slow down. Don't worry about the distance; just worry about the time. A good test is to speak a short sentence out loud while running. If you huff, puff and pant out the sentence, you're going too fast and need to slow down. Try it. It works and it's a trick you'll use even when you've completed the C25K program to increase your distance.

Never feel shy about asking questions. A good, active group to look into is: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
    There's good support and advice here and it's very active.

I can't help with any advice about the back pain. Try to keep your shoulders down. This will keep your torso looser and that might help.

Keep running. It will get easier and you will like it. I was not a runner but now I run 5K (or longer) at least 3 times a week and I enjoy my runs. You can do this. Do not give up.
  • gamommy
    gamommy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone!

I'm going to look into purchasing one of the bras that was suggested - I appreciate the links!

While I know that my posture can definitely use some improvement, I'm going to try to work on some exercises to help with that. Increasing my core strength will help a lot, I know. With better posture and better running form I think it will help a lot.

I didn't notice my breathing becoming awful (no hacking, coughing, gasping, etc.), just very very heavy and a little more shallow than normal. No chest pain though. Does anyone think that yoga will help with learning how to breathe better while running?

Also for the person who mentioned running on a flat surface - I'll look into different routes around my area. I want to be able to leave from my home and run a loop. The the 2.5 mile loop I did today (and have walked in the past) is mostly even but there are 2 pretty steep hills and 2 gradual ones. I'll check out a map and see if a similar distance is better. :)

Thanks again to everyone, I very much appreciate the support and suggestions!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    The 5th run was on a steep hill and I think it zapped me because I had to skip the 6th run all together.

Ah....this is the "problem". Believe me when I say that hills are your friend. They might need to be avoided for the first few weeks, though, because they are truly energy sapping. But once you get used to running, incorporate this hill into your running routine once a week. It will slow you down (run the uphill slowly, with short almost shuffling steps) but it'll make you really strong, too. I run a hill (about 1.5K uphill stretch) once a week. At first, I had to stop numerous times on the way up to walk & catch my breath. Slowly, my walk breaks became fewer. The first time I ran that hill all the way, I felt on top of the world.
    Running uphill will make running on level ground easier. Keep running this hill but maybe wait a few weeks first....maybe even until you graduate C25K. Right now, your focus is to just keep running to the program.

You can do it!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Ah....this is the "problem". Believe me when I say that hills are your friend. They might need to be avoided for the first few weeks, though, because they are truly energy sapping....

Hills are great for training once you've been running for a while. But they're not just energy sapping; they're also harder on the muscles and joints than running on the flat, especially if the runner is heavy. I think it's a good idea to avoid them if possible during the 9-week C25K program, and then add them in gradually.

Downhills are especially tricky, because you either go slow, which is tough on the muscles that have to provide the braking power, or fast, which is tough on the joints because it puts more force on them (more kinetic energy to absorb).
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It really does get easier. My first week sounds a lot like yours, but I could barely make 45 seconds the first interval! Now I'm on week 5 and excited about week 6. I'm SOOOOOO slow, but I get it done, and that's what everyone is saying is important. Hoping to do an actual race in November, so still more training to do!

On the bras, I use Freya Active Sports Bra. Unfortunately it only seems to go up to 38H, but I find it effective (at 34GG). Best of luck in finding the one that works for you!