Would you log lawnmowing?

Options

Replies

• smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Crap. I can't find "mouse clicking" anywhere in the cardiovascular database. Maybe strength training?

Wow, all this posting and your ticker shows you have lost, what, 1 pound in how many years since you signed up? Is this correct? You certainly have a lot of nothing to say. I am wondering if you were trying to help, or just be ridiculous. I am not very computer savvy, so my son had to explain to me what a "troll" was. I get it now.

Lost 63 lbs. Gained about 15 back, and was tired of living on past success. Reset my ticker, plan to lose 25 more for a grand total of 73 lbs.

If it would restore any of my credibility in your eyes, I could reset my ticker to reflect my initial loss. Would you like for me to do that?

ETA (that means edited to add, in this case) lost another pound as of this weekends weigh in. DYEMFP. (that means do you even MyfitnessPal)
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    There are probably 1000+ live posts on here that emphasize the basic concept: calories in minus calories out.

If you burn 300+ calories in an hour, why not count it? Lawn mowing can be a high calorie burn. Anyone who doesn't think so is welcome to come mow my lawn :) I feel far more wiped after mowing than I do after an hour of zumba. Not everything has to be shown in an Olivia Newton John music video or fitnessblender workout to be considered a workout. Creativity people! I also don't think its fair to compare to basic housework or grocery shopping. Those are really minimal calorie burns and will play very little impact on the equation we all focus on.

But big calorie burns that you can achieve via something like an hour of push mowing your lawn are important to understanding your calorie equation and for someone on 1200 calories, that is 25% of your equation. Probably significantly more for an obese person with a tough yard.

Many people weigh food and count every drop of condiments to be as precise as possible. Why dismiss an hour's worth of physical labor?

And who needs friends who delete you or think less of you for logging in a legitimate decent calorie burn?
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have a John Deere riding mower and was surprised to find you burn calories even on the riding mower,:laugh: :laugh:

I do caution everyone not to forget to take your fitbit off while doing this though, hahhaaaa. With all the bumps, it had me logged in for like 10 miles in 20 minutes. If they had instant connections to emergency services, mine would have been called, lol.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I am set to sedentary, so I would log it.

Same here. It's not something I do on a daily basis, so I log it.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I've developed a revolutionary hybrid exercise. It's a cross between bikram yoga and lawn mowing. I log it!
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I spent the entire afternoon cutting grass yesterday and you bet your life I logged it. I also log my housework, especially now that I am doing the fall cleaning. I lost 5 pounds in 20 days so it must be doing something? :smokin:
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    When I'm done mowing I have a cold beer. It all evens out.

If I had a giant yard I would drink an entire 6 pack.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Since the significant amount of calories I burn (per the wrist HRM I wear) mowing my lawn with a push mower for 90 minutes every 10 days (or so) isn't built into my TDEE (the D stands for “daily”, right?), I log it. Otherwise, I’m not accurately accounting for the calories I burn, which defeats the purpose of meticulously tracking my diet and exercise calories every day.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have to log it. I go through quite a few beers riding that little tractor around... ;)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If I was using a non-mechanical mower with 12" high grass,sprinting up and down the rows, and swinging a 40lb kettlebell in one arm while I did it, then I would log it.

Otherwise, no.
  • pethelpersfindahome
    Options
    if you are pushing and walking that mower in the heat of the day then YES by all means :)) i would for sure. that is a workout . now riding a mower probably not.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    If I was using a non-mechanical mower with 12" high grass,sprinting up and down the rows, and swinging a 40lb kettlebell in one arm while I did it, then I would log it.

Otherwise, no.

So the calorie burn from my hrm monitor is only from the sheer excitement of mowing my yard??? I'm actually seriously asking, because I know you can explain this.
  • walker306
    walker306 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes...I log lawn mowing. My lawn takes at least an hour to mow and I work up a pretty good sweat on warm days. It is exercise!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Otherwise, no.

So the calorie burn from my hrm monitor is only from the sheer excitement of mowing my yard??? I'm actually seriously asking, because I know you can explain this.
    Of course, if it's over and above your normal energy expenditure you burned some extra calories. I used to wear my HRM for cutting the lawn because I was curious. If you are going to add exercise calories for this, don't forget to subtract what you would normally burn in your daily activities during that period. If you're hungry, have something to eat and log it. If you are still losing weight at the end of the week, bonus. These little things would drive me crazy.
    I cut the lawn every week so it doesn't matter. If I stop losing, I have to eat less to lose.
  • GFDawn
    GFDawn Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes if I had to mow the lawn, I totally would! BTW I logged cleaning yesterday for the first time, because it IS a calorie burn! And it was the toughest workout since I started a month ago... I'm sore today. Exercise is exercise, weather you intended to or not!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I mowed the lawn Saturday, logged it, ate back some (if not all) of the calories in brownies, ice cream, and milk.

You jelly?

You affected?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

Otherwise, no.

Of course, if it's over and above your normal energy expenditure you burned some extra calories. I used to wear my HRM for cutting the lawn because I was curious. If you are going to add exercise calories for this, don't forget to subtract what you would normally burn in your daily activities during that period. If you're hungry, have something to eat and log it. If you are still losing weight at the end of the week, bonus. These little things would drive me crazy.
    I cut the lawn every week so it doesn't matter. If I stop losing, I have to eat less to lose.

I've never deducted my regular daily calorie burn from what my hrm gives me. I never even thought to until I read a post a couple of years ago talking about that. For me, that was just putting too much thought into it. I log 1 calorie on lifting days, but I log cardio just to see it when I look back, so I have something to compare one time to the next. My son usually mows, but sometimes I'll do it myself just for the exercise. That's the only reason I like shoveling snow now.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    I mowed the lawn Saturday, logged it, ate back some (if not all) of the calories in brownies, ice cream, and milk.

You jelly?

You affected?

I'm jelly cuz brownies, dammit! I had ice cream and a milk shake, though. I didn't mow the yard, I spent 3 hours cutting down a tree (no chainsaw) and then cutting it into 3' pieces for the yard waste pick-up that never showed up. Was there chocolate sauce involved? Did you put the ice cream on top of the brownies? These are important questions.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Otherwise, no.

I can't explain why you got such a reading. I do know, however, than you can't burn 600+ calories in 30 min cutting grass--not even doing it the way I described above.

In most cases, an HRM-even if set up correctly--will not be accurate for this type activity.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Of course I have issues. I have issues with people who makes excuses.

I'm not logging cleaning. Or mowing. Or cooking. Or any of those other crap "exercises." If you do, that isn't my concern.

I'm thinking she sounds hangry. Very very hangry.